-
Ipswich sign Enciso and Ouattara in double raid on Strasbourg
-
Belgium fire halts short of German border, but not 'contained'
-
UN laments 'unacceptable' toll of 350 aid workers killed in 2025
-
Number one Shi suffers shock first-round exit at badminton worlds
-
Former child star actress Hayden Panettiere dead at 36
-
Kolisi and Nche may miss South Africa Test against New Zealand
-
Pakistan captain Babar Azam doubtful for England opener
-
Trump threatens Oman: latest developments in US-Iran war
-
Pentagon inks Tomahawk deal amid reports of missile shortfall
-
Stocks lower as Hormuz concerns and high oil prices persist
-
Rain halts India push after Dinusha century lifts Sri Lanka
-
Crowds turn out for 'Total Eclipse' singer Bonnie Tyler's funeral
-
Dinusha hits century as Sri Lanka post 284 in first India Test
-
Mali jails junta-critic broadcaster, influencer for seven years
-
Stocks steady as investors weigh US rate path
-
'Nowhere to run': Indonesian quake survivors plead for help
-
Taiwan's leader says government to propose record defence spending for 2027
-
Belgium fire makes 'limited' spread overnight, more help on way
-
Cambridge head slams 'feeding frenzy' over dead academic
-
Vingegaard brings curtain down on season
-
Ebola outbreak now DR Congo's deadliest ever
-
Dickwella, Dinusha hit fifties as Sri Lanka fight back
-
Germany's coalition split over putting climate in constitution
-
Bangladesh Test cricket reboot delivers in style with historic win
-
Ukraine badminton star: 'How can you feel normal when bombs are falling?'
-
Virgin moves closer to launching Eurostar rival in 2030
-
Rain brings respite as Belgium wrestles massive wildfire
-
Indian marble waste dump becomes unlikely tourist attraction
-
Most stocks rise as US data ease rate fears but fuel economic worries
-
Coach says Australia 'let standards slip' in shock Bangladesh loss
-
India take control of Galle Test as Sri Lanka slump to 99-5
-
Hawaii recovery efforts begin as Lala downgraded, moves west
-
Australia's mushroom murderer appeals conviction
-
Food safety crackdown snares Mumbai's famed restaurants
-
The Nigerian fishing community being eaten up by the Atlantic
-
Trump says US scaling back military drills with Seoul hours before start
-
Kushner to meet Netanyahu after talks with Hamas on Gaza plan
-
Nearly 13,000 displaced after deadly Indonesian quake
-
Photos, memories all that remain for Colombia's bereaved after quake
-
Axe hangs over Australian batters after Darwin 'disaster'
-
Sabalenka squeezes out win on sixth match point in Cincinnati
-
Is this cave in Turkey where Homer wrote 'The Odyssey'?
-
Trump says US scaling back military drills with South Korea hours before start
-
Winning back walls from gangs, artists fill El Salvador's towns with color
-
Jason Arday: UK academic who died amid plagiarism storm
-
Opening arguments expected in Tupac murder trial
-
Sabbath cafe clash lays bare Israel faultlines
-
As machinery removes rubble, hopes for survivors from Colombian quake dwindle
-
Elvictor Group Announces Filing of Second Quarter 2026 Form 10-Q
-
What to Do Before You Move Abroad
'Racist thuggery' condemned after second night of disorder in N.Ireland
Police arrested 16 people during a second night of disorder in Northern Ireland sparked by a brutal Belfast stabbing, a senior minister said Thursday, condemning rioters for "racist thuggery".
Twelve officers were also injured in Wednesday's unrest, the UK government's Northern Ireland minister Hilary Benn told Sky News.
Dozens of masked protesters clashed with riot police late into the night, with rioters setting fire to a car and boarded-up property, AFP journalists saw.
Projectiles, including petrol bombs and bricks, were hurled as riot police used water cannon and mounted charges to push back dozens of rioters trying to reach a hotel which had been used to house asylum seekers.
Benn said the scale of unrest on Wednesday evening was "a lot less than the terrible events that we witnessed on Tuesday night".
But he said it was "really important to convey the sense of fear that has been created, above all for those who were intimidated, burned out of their houses by masked thugs on the basis of the colour of their skin".
"We've had reports of people being stopped in their cars to be asked what their nationality is on their way to work, and this is completely unacceptable," he told Sky News TV.
A nurse was "chased and intimidated" as she travelled to work at Ulster Hospital near Belfast on Wednesday night, the body that runs the hospital said.
She "bravely insisted" on doing her shift "in stark contrast to the behaviour of the people who terrified her as she tried to do her job", it added in a statement.
The biggest and main mosque in Northern Ireland also had to be shut for the first time in its history on Tuesday, chairman Mohammed Arshed said.
"We have been here since 1978. And we've never had trouble close before."
- Social media -
UK authorities blamed far-right activists for stoking anger on social media following Monday's knife attack.
A Sudanese man appeared in court Wednesday charged with the attempted murder of Stephen Ogilvie that triggered the unrest, which also spread to the Scottish city Glasgow.
Hadi Alodid, 30, was remanded in custody by Belfast magistrates, charged with Monday's attack, and the case was adjourned to July 8.
The images of the attack spread within the hour on social networks after being posted on X by far-right activist Stephen Yaxley-Lennon -- also known as Tommy Robinson -- and then amplified by X-owner and US tech billionaire Elon Musk.
In a night of violence in Belfast on Tuesday, masked rioters torched vehicles and buildings and forced families to flee their homes.
UK Prime Minister Keir Starmer condemned the scenes as "shocking and completely unacceptable".
Ogilvie's family appealed for calm and warned against using the "terrible tragedy" to "divide people or fuel hostility".
Ogilvie was in a stable condition despite losing an eye.
Tensions were already high across the UK. There were skirmishes in southern England last week over the police handling of the murder of a white student by a British Sikh man.
A local resident, 28, who asked not to give her name, said she had helped evacuate her neighbours. "It's just sad, this is a really close-knit community," she told AFP.
- 'Influx of migrants' -
Tuesday's unrest mainly flared in Protestant unionist areas.
Brendan, a 50-year-old plumber who joined the protests, said "nobody agrees with the violence" and there had been enough during the decades of sectarian fighting over British rule of Northern Ireland, which ended in a 1998 peace deal.
But he supported the protests as "there's nothing going to unite people more than crimes of inhumane acts like butchering people".
And John, who also only gave his first name, said: "There's now a united Ireland... united because the ordinary people have realised that, actually, we have been played like puppets."
He said the protesters were "genuinely concerned... we have an influx across Europe of migrants".
Numerous accounts linked to so-called "patriots" shared the footage, urging people to "protest against mass immigration into their communities".
The country has seen frequent anti-immigration protests in recent years, some turning violent.
P.Costa--AMWN