-
Rain halts India push after Dinusha century lifts Sri Lanka
-
Crowds turn out for 'Total Eclipse' singer Bonnie Tyler's funeral
-
Dinusha hits century as Sri Lanka post 284 in first India Test
-
Mali jails junta-critic broadcaster, influencer for seven years
-
Stocks steady as investors weigh US rate path
-
'Nowhere to run': Indonesian quake survivors plead for help
-
Taiwan's leader says government to propose record defence spending for 2027
-
Belgium fire makes 'limited' spread overnight, more help on way
-
Cambridge head slams 'feeding frenzy' over dead academic
-
Vingegaard brings curtain down on season
-
Ebola outbreak now DR Congo's deadliest ever
-
Dickwella, Dinusha hit fifties as Sri Lanka fight back
-
Germany's coalition split over putting climate in constitution
-
Bangladesh Test cricket reboot delivers in style with historic win
-
Ukraine badminton star: 'How can you feel normal when bombs are falling?'
-
Virgin moves closer to launching Eurostar rival in 2030
-
Rain brings respite as Belgium wrestles massive wildfire
-
Indian marble waste dump becomes unlikely tourist attraction
-
Most stocks rise as US data ease rate fears but fuel economic worries
-
Coach says Australia 'let standards slip' in shock Bangladesh loss
-
India take control of Galle Test as Sri Lanka slump to 99-5
-
Hawaii recovery efforts begin as Lala downgraded, moves west
-
Australia's mushroom murderer appeals conviction
-
Food safety crackdown snares Mumbai's famed restaurants
-
The Nigerian fishing community being eaten up by the Atlantic
-
Trump says US scaling back military drills with Seoul hours before start
-
Kushner to meet Netanyahu after talks with Hamas on Gaza plan
-
Nearly 13,000 displaced after deadly Indonesian quake
-
Photos, memories all that remain for Colombia's bereaved after quake
-
Axe hangs over Australian batters after Darwin 'disaster'
-
Sabalenka squeezes out win on sixth match point in Cincinnati
-
Is this cave in Turkey where Homer wrote 'The Odyssey'?
-
Trump says US scaling back military drills with South Korea hours before start
-
Winning back walls from gangs, artists fill El Salvador's towns with color
-
Jason Arday: UK academic who died amid plagiarism storm
-
Opening arguments expected in Tupac murder trial
-
Sabbath cafe clash lays bare Israel faultlines
-
As machinery removes rubble, hopes for survivors from Colombian quake dwindle
-
TSS to Participate in Upcoming Investor Conferences
-
DataMeds AI Reports Second Quarter 2026 Financials and Provides Business Update
-
Nexscient Releases 2026 Letter to Shareholders
-
Generation Income Properties Announces Second Quarter 2026 Financial Results and Provides Shareholder Update
-
Vulcan Infrastructure and Power Publishes Investor Presentation Highlighting its Pivot to a New Growth Platform
-
Crexendo Announces Participation in Upcoming Investor Conferences
-
Norsemont Appoints Ariel Tepperman to Its Board
-
Ainos Unveils Next-Generation AI Nose, Advancing the Infrastructure for Chemical Intelligence
-
Chilean Cobalt Corp. Announces Receipt of New USD $375 Million Letter of Interest from US EXIM Bank
-
AimwellBio Secures Patented Behavioral AI Portfolio Backed by Oxford Science and Sanofi Pilot; Inventor Dr. Chris A. Jones Joins Board of Advisors
-
Dermata Therapeutics Announces $3.4 Million Private Placement Priced At-The-Market Under Nasdaq Rules
-
IGC Pharma Reports Q2 2026 Results as CALMA Alzheimer's Trial Moves Within Six Randomizations of Enrollment Closure
Tehran says no final decision as Trump touts imminent deal
Tehran said Friday it had not reached a final decision on a deal to end the Middle East war, despite US President Donald Trump claiming an agreement could be signed in days and cancelling threatened strikes on Iran.
Trump's statements fueled a stock market rally and tanked oil prices, again spurring hopes a resolution was nearing in the war triggered by US-Israeli strikes in February.
Claiming that talks with Iran had been "brought to the highest level of Iranian leadership and approved," Trump said he had "cancelled the scheduled strikes and bombings against Iran this evening."
"Time and place of the signing to be announced shortly," he added.
Trump said the finer points of the arrangement had been approved by the United States and its allies in the region, including Israel, with which Washington jointly launched the war in February.
However, Iran's foreign ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baqaei said Tehran "had not reached a final conclusion on the agreement".
He added that "most of the text of the agreement was finalized, but the problem began when the US side made new demands and changed its positions."
The Tasnim news agency noted that Trump had announced a deal was imminent 38 times in the previous two months.
"Until Iran announces the matter of a potential understanding, any news from Trump on this subject should be regarded the same as his previous messaging," it noted.
Later Trump doubled down, telling reporters "I understand the answer is yes," when asked if Iranian supreme leader Ayatollah Mojtaba Khamenei had approved the deal.
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's office said the Israeli leader spoke to Trump, who vowed any memorandum of understanding would include the removal of Tehran's enriched nuclear material as well as dismantling of missile infrastructure.
- 'Approved by all parties' -
The war -- which began February 28 with a wave of US-Israeli strikes on Iran that killed supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei -- paused under an April truce. But efforts to hammer out a permanent end to the fighting appeared stalled.
Tehran's mayor said Thursday the former supreme leader's funeral would be delayed to the end of June or start of July.
Trump's statement suggested back-channel mediation led by US allies like Pakistan and Qatar may have borne fruit -- despite previously saying he would hit Iran "VERY HARD TONIGHT."
"Discussions and final points have been, in both concept and great detail, approved by all parties involved, including the United States, Israel" and Gulf states, he posted.
Egypt said the US and Iran should seize an "available opportunity" for a deal to end the war, after Trump cancelled the threatened new strikes on Iran.
Just a day earlier, Trump had declared that not only would US forces step up airstrikes, they would also seize control of Iran's oil export facility on Kharg Island in the Gulf.
Even as Trump's intervention raised hopes of a resolution, Kuwait reported Iran targeted its territory and damaged an airport radar forcing an airspace closure.
- 'Flames of war' -
With US threats escalating, Iranian General Ali Abdollahi warned earlier in the day that if the United States attacked, "it will receive a harsher response than before, and the flames of war, in addition to creating insecurity in the region, will become more widespread and far-reaching."
Civilians facing renewed strikes in Tehran were pessimistic. Majid, a 35-year-old pharmacist, said the economic knock-on effects of the fighting were crippling normal life.
"I am absolutely not optimistic about the agreement being finalized, because the gap between the two countries is too wide," he said, blaming the lack of progress on Israel -- which also traded fire with Iran in recent days -- as well as hardliners at home.
Iran has renewed its warnings over the Strait of Hormuz, a vital waterway for oil and gas transport that it has essentially closed since early in the war, roiling global energy markets. Iran's new body overseeing the strait said it "will be closed until further notice".
burs-gw/ksb/ane/jm
G.Stevens--AMWN