-
Stocks steady as investors weigh US rate path
-
'Nowhere to run': Indonesian quake survivors plead for help
-
Taiwan's leader says government to propose record defence spending for 2027
-
Belgium fire makes 'limited' spread overnight, more help on way
-
Cambridge head slams 'feeding frenzy' over dead academic
-
Vingegaard brings curtain down on season
-
Ebola outbreak now DR Congo's deadliest ever
-
Dickwella, Dinusha hit fifties as Sri Lanka fight back
-
Germany's coalition split over putting climate in constitution
-
Bangladesh Test cricket reboot delivers in style with historic win
-
Ukraine badminton star: 'How can you feel normal when bombs are falling?'
-
Virgin moves closer to launching Eurostar rival in 2030
-
Rain brings respite as Belgium wrestles massive wildfire
-
Indian marble waste dump becomes unlikely tourist attraction
-
Most stocks rise as US data ease rate fears but fuel economic worries
-
Coach says Australia 'let standards slip' in shock Bangladesh loss
-
India take control of Galle Test as Sri Lanka slump to 99-5
-
Hawaii recovery efforts begin as Lala downgraded, moves west
-
Australia's mushroom murderer appeals conviction
-
Food safety crackdown snares Mumbai's famed restaurants
-
The Nigerian fishing community being eaten up by the Atlantic
-
Trump says US scaling back military drills with Seoul hours before start
-
Kushner to meet Netanyahu after talks with Hamas on Gaza plan
-
Nearly 13,000 displaced after deadly Indonesian quake
-
Photos, memories all that remain for Colombia's bereaved after quake
-
Axe hangs over Australian batters after Darwin 'disaster'
-
Sabalenka squeezes out win on sixth match point in Cincinnati
-
Is this cave in Turkey where Homer wrote 'The Odyssey'?
-
Trump says US scaling back military drills with South Korea hours before start
-
Winning back walls from gangs, artists fill El Salvador's towns with color
-
Jason Arday: UK academic who died amid plagiarism storm
-
Opening arguments expected in Tupac murder trial
-
Sabbath cafe clash lays bare Israel faultlines
-
As machinery removes rubble, hopes for survivors from Colombian quake dwindle
-
Eagle Plains Samples up to 269g/t Au at the Pine Channel Gold Project, Saskatchewan
-
Emerging Growth Research Releases Flash Report on First Phosphate; Reiterates Buy Rating and C$4.94 Price Target Following Nasdaq Uplisting
-
BioNxt Provides Development, Intellectual Property and Commercial Update Across Sublingual Drug Delivery Pipeline
-
Council for Innovation Promotion Names Coke Morgan Stewart President and CEO
-
Guardian Metal Resources PLC Announces Warrant Exercise
-
NuRAN Wireless Announces Nasdaq Listing and West African US$ 5M Project Kickoff for State-Owned Mobile Operator
-
Banyan Gold Intersects 13.03 g/t Au Over 14.2m at Powerline North, AurMac, Yukon, Canada
-
SEG Announces 2026 Interim Results
-
Caledonia Mining Corporation Plc: Director Shareholding Notification
-
HM Exploration Commences Borehole & Surface EM Surveys at Lewis Pilley's
-
First Class Metals PLC Announces Application for OTCID Quotation
-
InterContinental Hotels Group PLC Announces Transaction in Own Shares - August 17
-
Gold Roth IRA: How It Works, Rules, Taxes, Fees, and What Investors Should Know in 2026 (Guide Released)
-
Top-ranked Scheffler powers to PGA St. Jude Championship victory
-
Trump says US scaling back military drills with South Korea
-
Jacquet scores on Liverpool debut in friendly win over Como
Trump ballroom cost soars to $600 mn, half from taxpayers: report
US President Donald Trump's ballroom project at the White House will cost as much as $600 million, with more than half coming from taxpayers, The Washington Post reported Tuesday.
Trump had previously estimated the cost at $400 million and repeatedly insisted that private donors -- including himself -- would foot the bill for the new building, a centerpiece of his drive to put his stamp on the US capital.
The newspaper cited a copy of a detailed cost estimate prepared for the Trump administration by Clark Construction, the contractor hired to build the ballroom.
The project began last year when Trump, with little warning and without consulting Congress, tore down the entire historic East Wing of the White House.
The White House insisted in a statement to AFP Tuesday that Trump and the donors were bearing most of the cost.
"President Trump and generous American patriots are funding the ballroom to the tune of approximately $400 million, which will be a secure and appropriate venue for Presidents for generations to come," spokesman Davis Ingle said.
An alleged plot to attack the White House during a cage fight attended by Trump and other top officials at the weekend "proves exactly why the East Wing Modernization Project is severely needed for large scale events," he said.
Ingle added that the ballroom project was "inextricably tied" to presidential security and other security assets, which Trump says include drone ports on the roof and a hospital in the basement.
In late March, Trump reiterated to reporters that the project would cost up to $400 million, calling it "tax-payer free."
However, a summary prepared for the White House earlier that month already estimated the total cost at $600 million, with only $293 million coming from "private sources," the Post said.
And when Trump made those comments in March, the administration had already approved more than a dozen payments of public funds to Clark Construction totaling tens of millions of dollars, the Post said, citing a log of the contractor's invoices which it obtained.
When Trump first floated the idea of the ballroom he said it would cost $200 million.
Democratic opponents of the president have pointed to the gilded ballroom and other costly renovation projects around the US capital as evidence that the billionaire leader is out of touch with everyday Americans.
Republicans fear that continued concerns among voters about the cost of living -- especially soaring fuel costs due to the Iran war -- could spell disaster in the November midterm elections.
"This is a gift to the United States of America," Trump said last month as he took reporters on a tour of the building site, shouting over the noise of hammers and buzzsaws.
"This is all my money and donors' money. This is tax free," Trump said.
The builder was quoted by the Washington Post as saying details of the project are confidential.
The project has prompted a legal battle, with a judge ruling in March that work above ground needed to halt.
The ruling was put on hold as an appeals court considers the case.
Trump's administration has also argued that the need for the ballroom became more urgent after a man with a gun tried to break into a gala press dinner he was attending in April.
P.Mathewson--AMWN