-
Nearly 13,000 displaced after deadly Indonesian quake
-
Photos, memories all that remain for Colombia's bereaved after quake
-
Axe hangs over Australian batters after Darwin 'disaster'
-
Sabalenka squeezes out win on sixth match point in Cincinnati
-
Is this cave in Turkey where Homer wrote 'The Odyssey'?
-
Trump says US scaling back military drills with South Korea hours before start
-
Winning back walls from gangs, artists fill El Salvador's towns with color
-
Jason Arday: UK academic who died amid plagiarism storm
-
Opening arguments expected in Tupac murder trial
-
Sabbath cafe clash lays bare Israel faultlines
-
As machinery removes rubble, hopes for survivors from Colombian quake dwindle
-
Top-ranked Scheffler powers to PGA St. Jude Championship victory
-
Trump says US scaling back military drills with South Korea
-
Jacquet scores on Liverpool debut in friendly win over Como
-
Zambia's Hichilema takes early lead in reelection bid
-
Hawaii's Big Island begins recovery efforts as Hurricane Lala downgrades, moves west
-
Sabalenka squeezes out a win on sixth match point in Cincinnati
-
Spidey swings high for third weekend in N. American box office
-
Duplantis dominant, Hunt hits four and Asher-Smith makes history
-
Eagle and late birdie lift Jeeno to LPGA Portland Classic win
-
Spanish soldier dies in Aragon wildfire
-
Duplantis masterclass for fourth Euro pole vault title
-
PSG beaten by Lens in French Champions' Trophy
-
Records for Asher-Smith, Hunt as Britain win 4x100m mixed relay
-
Rybakina, Andreeva race into Cincinnati third round
-
Barcelona reach deal with Man City to sign Rodri
-
Amy Hunt bags fourth Euro gold as Britain win 4x100m mixed relay
-
Misery for Maresca as Man City make dismal start to life after Guardiola
-
Spanish soldier dies in Aragon wildfire: regional leader
-
Strikes kill 19 in Russia and Ukraine
-
Belgium's Pocognoli appointed new Scotland manager
-
Lula and Bolsonaro court women voters as Brazil election campaign kicks off
-
Marchand storms to second gold of European championships
-
Belgium races to tame huge wildfire creeping towards Germany
-
Kushner meets with Hamas in push to revive Gaza plan
-
Two dead, hundreds evacuated from fires on island near Athens
-
Villarreal battle back to earn draw at promoted Racing
-
Real Madrid crush Schalke in friendly as Diomande debuts
-
Odegaard says Arsenal 'want to win everything' after Community Shield success
-
Calls for UK inquiry into 'hounding' of ex-Cambridge academic
-
Arsenal rout Man City in Community Shield masterclass
-
Strikes kill 16 in Russia and Ukraine
-
Southampton mocked over Spygate during Watford defeat
-
Marchand tries for European swim gold in unfamiliar event
-
Hamas expects meeting with Kushner as US pushes Gaza plan
-
India's Padikkal steals the show with 167 in first Sri Lanka Test
-
Farmers, helicopters help battle record Belgian wildfire
-
Hollywood duo underline Premier League ambition for Wrexham
-
Air support kicks in as record Belgian wildfire jumps in size
-
India's Padikkal makes 167 in first Sri Lanka Test
Germany sinks troubled warship project in blow to naval ambitions
Germany on Wednesday pulled the plug on its largest naval order in decades after the mammoth warship project suffered lengthy delays, a setback for the country's ambitions to overhaul its military.
The multi-billion-euro project to build six next-generation frigates specialised in anti-submarine warfare was being abandoned in favour of purchasing eight smaller warships, Defence Minister Boris Pistorius said.
"Continuing the project would have involved a significant loss of time, disproportionately high costs, and also considerable risks," Pistorius said.
Germany had already spent 2.3 billion euros ($2.6 billion) on the troubled project to construct the F126 frigates, which was awarded in 2020 to Dutch shipyard Damen Naval, he conceded.
But he added: "Better a hard stop than a permanent limbo. We cannot afford that, neither financially nor in terms of time."
While the programme had long been in trouble, the announcement nevertheless came as a shock as German defence giant Rheinmetall had been widely expected to take over as lead contractor and complete the frigates.
Rheinmetall's shares dived some 20 percent in Frankfurt following the news.
The move is a setback for the EU's most populous country at a time it was seeking to rapidly build up its long-neglected armed forces to bolster its role in NATO and deter a hostile Russia.
Anti-submarine warfare has become a key focus for European NATO members following suspected Russian submarine manoeuvres near vital undersea cables and pipelines in the Baltic Sea and the Atlantic.
- All at sea -
Germany ordered four F126 submarine hunters in 2020 from Damen Naval, with the price set at 10 billion euros (then $11.2 billion), with the deal later expanded to include two more vessels.
The first was set to be delivered in 2028, with all due to be operational by 2033, according to the defence ministry.
But the project was beset by repeated delays, with the delivery of the first vessel pushed back to 2032.
"The navy would not have been able to provide the capabilities it has pledged to NATO in time," Pistorius said.
The Financial Times reported there were myriad problems in the complex project, in particular cultural clashes between the Dutch shipyard and German military procurement officials.
Damen struggled with officials' demands for submissions to be on paper as well as for documentation to be in German, the paper reported in April, citing industry sources.
- Procurement perils -
Rheinmetall CEO Armin Papperger told reporters in May that the defence giant, which has seen stellar growth as Europe rearms, was in talks with Berlin to take over the project, fuelling expectations of an imminent deal.
But the government ultimately concluded that handing over the work to NVL, a shipyard acquired by Rheinmetall in March, would be too costly, the defence ministry said.
Carrying on would have led to an estimated bill of over 18 billion euros, including money already spent as well as 15.2 billion euros for NVL to take it on.
It would have also meant the government forgoing a contractual right to sue Damen Navel for damages, the ministry added.
Pistorius said the government would seek to claw back some of the money spent on the doomed project but conceded there was "little prospect of success".
Instead of the F126s, Berlin will instead order eight smaller vessels of a type long in service from rival German contractor TKMS.
Under the plan, the government will pay 6.3 billion euros for four MEKO A-2000 frigates with an option to purchase another four for about 5.3 billion euros.
TKMS shares were up 16 percent following the news.
The saga throws a spotlight on the challenges for Germany's massive military build up, in particular slow and complex procurement processes.
Berlin has earmarked hundreds of billions of euros for rearmament over the coming decade, exempting most defence spending from strict constitutional borrowing limits.
O.Johnson--AMWN