-
Sabbath cafe clash lays bare Israel faultlines
-
As machinery removes rubble, hopes for survivors from Colombian quake dwindle
-
Top-ranked Scheffler powers to PGA St. Jude Championship victory
-
Trump says US scaling back military drills with South Korea
-
Jacquet scores on Liverpool debut in friendly win over Como
-
Zambia's Hichilema takes early lead in reelection bid
-
Hawaii's Big Island begins recovery efforts as Hurricane Lala downgrades, moves west
-
Sabalenka squeezes out a win on sixth match point in Cincinnati
-
Spidey swings high for third weekend in N. American box office
-
Duplantis dominant, Hunt hits four and Asher-Smith makes history
-
Eagle and late birdie lift Jeeno to LPGA Portland Classic win
-
Spanish soldier dies in Aragon wildfire
-
Duplantis masterclass for fourth Euro pole vault title
-
PSG beaten by Lens in French Champions' Trophy
-
Records for Asher-Smith, Hunt as Britain win 4x100m mixed relay
-
Rybakina, Andreeva race into Cincinnati third round
-
Barcelona reach deal with Man City to sign Rodri
-
Amy Hunt bags fourth Euro gold as Britain win 4x100m mixed relay
-
Misery for Maresca as Man City make dismal start to life after Guardiola
-
Spanish soldier dies in Aragon wildfire: regional leader
-
Strikes kill 19 in Russia and Ukraine
-
Belgium's Pocognoli appointed new Scotland manager
-
Lula and Bolsonaro court women voters as Brazil election campaign kicks off
-
Marchand storms to second gold of European championships
-
Belgium races to tame huge wildfire creeping towards Germany
-
Kushner meets with Hamas in push to revive Gaza plan
-
Two dead, hundreds evacuated from fires on island near Athens
-
Villarreal battle back to earn draw at promoted Racing
-
Real Madrid crush Schalke in friendly as Diomande debuts
-
Odegaard says Arsenal 'want to win everything' after Community Shield success
-
Calls for UK inquiry into 'hounding' of ex-Cambridge academic
-
Arsenal rout Man City in Community Shield masterclass
-
Strikes kill 16 in Russia and Ukraine
-
Southampton mocked over Spygate during Watford defeat
-
Marchand tries for European swim gold in unfamiliar event
-
Hamas expects meeting with Kushner as US pushes Gaza plan
-
India's Padikkal steals the show with 167 in first Sri Lanka Test
-
Farmers, helicopters help battle record Belgian wildfire
-
Hollywood duo underline Premier League ambition for Wrexham
-
Air support kicks in as record Belgian wildfire jumps in size
-
India's Padikkal makes 167 in first Sri Lanka Test
-
Firefighters battle second day of blaze on Greek island
-
Hurricane Lala pulls away from Hawaii's Big Island
-
Strikes kill 12 in Russia and Ukraine
-
Petros, Vainio set new championship records to win Euro marathons
-
India's Sindhu backs monkey measures as badminton worlds set to open
-
Hurricane Lala brushes past Hawaii's Big Island, bringing heavy rain
-
Mass drone attack on Moscow as Russian strikes kill three in Ukraine
-
'Something we dreamed of': Bangladesh celebrates historic cricket win
-
Djokovic feels the heat in Cincinnati defeat, Zverev wins all-nighter
Iran says US violated peace deal as both sides trade fire
Iran on Saturday accused the United States of violating the peace deal agreed to end the Middle East war, after Washington launched strikes on Iranian territory and Tehran responded with attacks on US targets in the Gulf.
The trading of fire, which came after Washington accused Tehran of attacking a cargo ship in the Strait of Hormuz earlier in the week, raised questions about efforts to keep the crucial waterway open while both sides negotiate a broader, final deal.
US Central Command (CENTCOM) said the latest American strikes, against Iranian missile and drone storage sites and coastal radar positions, were a response to "unwarranted aggression against commercial shipping by Iranian forces" that "clearly violated the ceasefire".
But Iran lashed out at the attacks after its Revolutionary Guards launched its own retaliatory strikes.
"These brutal attacks, which targeted Iranian coastal surveillance facilities, are a blatant violation" of the memorandum of understanding to end the war, the Iranian foreign ministry said.
The Guards said they had struck US sites in the Gulf region in retaliation and that "if the aggression is repeated, our response will be broader than this", according to a Telegram post by state TV.
Bahrain's foreign ministry said the country was targeted by several Iranian drones early Saturday, condemning the attacks and accusing Tehran of "sabotaging peace efforts".
On the US strikes, Iranian state television, citing a reporter in the southern city of Sirik, said an explosion was heard at a pier there late Friday. It quoted a military source saying a "projectile impact" in the area caused the blast.
"Sirik Port is operating normally, and no damage has been reported to its equipment or facilities," Mehr news agency later said.
CENTCOM described the operation as "a powerful response to yesterday's attack on a commercial ship that was transiting the Strait of Hormuz".
US President Donald Trump had earlier denounced what he described as an Iranian drone strike on the vessel, saying "this is a foolish violation of our ceasefire agreement".
Vice President JD Vance issued a direct warning, posting on X that "violence will be met with violence" if Iran carries out any further attacks.
Iran has warned vessels not to enter or leave the Gulf through the strait without permission, but ships have continued to move, some using a route not authorised by Tehran.
Despite the latest flare-up, oil prices have fallen sharply on hopes that traffic through Hormuz -- a strategic waterway which normally sees around a fifth of the world's oil and gas exports -- would keep recovering.
- Lebanon framework -
Israel and Lebanon hailed an agreement signed Friday with the US to pave a way towards peace on their front in the war, although Iran-backed Hezbollah warned the deal would thwart plans to resolve the broader conflict.
The agreement -- which includes a pilot effort in which Lebanese soldiers take control of two areas occupied by Israel, as well as a process aimed at disarming Hezbollah -- is the result of five rounds of talks in the US capital.
At a Washington signing ceremony, Secretary of State Marco Rubio, flanked by Israeli and Lebanese envoys, said the trilateral accord "begins to put in place a framework for lasting peace and security".
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu welcomed the framework as a victory against Iran, which argues the Lebanon front is inseparable from the wider war and should be resolved as part of US-Iran talks.
He said the agreement would allow the Lebanese army to return to two "pilot areas" in southern Lebanon, but that Israeli forces would remain in their security zone until Hezbollah is disarmed. Displaced civilians would be prevented from returning.
Lebanese President Joseph Aoun welcomed the unpublished framework as a "first step" towards civilians returning home "under the sovereignty of the Lebanese state".
But Hezbollah supporters took to the streets of Beirut late Friday to protest the agreement.
- Nuclear safeguards -
The UN nuclear watchdog has warned that any final US-Iran settlement would need strong safeguards to ensure Tehran does not build a nuclear weapon.
Iran's nuclear programme remains a central sticking point, with Tehran and Washington giving conflicting accounts of whether inspectors will regain access to the Islamic republic's facilities.
"The government of Iran has declared quite clearly that this is not their intention," International Atomic Energy Agency chief Rafael Grossi said Friday of developing nuclear weapons.
"But of course intentions are not enough. We have to have a very strong verification system in place... as soon as is practicable."
The interim agreement says Iran's stockpile of enriched uranium should be "downblended" under IAEA supervision.
burs-ft/mlm/msp/ane/jfx/amj
S.F.Warren--AMWN