-
Pau beat La Rochelle as Hastoy sent off after 34 seconds
-
Real Madrid drop points at Girona in third straight Liga draw
-
Napoli beat rivals Roma to join Milan at Serie A summit
-
Shiffrin bags 104th World Cup win with Copper Mountain slalom victory
-
Disney's 'Zootopia 2' rules Thanksgiving at N. American box office
-
Arteta takes heart from Arsenal escape in Chelsea battle
-
Duplantis and McLaughlin-Levrone crowned 'Athletes of the Year'
-
Rubio says 'more work' required after US-Ukraine talks in Florida
-
McLaren boss admits team made strategy blunder
-
West Ham's red-carded Paqueta slams FA for lack of support
-
Ramaphosa labels US attacks on S.Africa 'misinformation'
-
Relaxed Verstappen set for another title showdown
-
Van Graan compares Bath match-winner Arundell to Springbok great Habana
-
Arsenal held by 10-man Chelsea, Isak end drought to fire Liverpool
-
Slot hails 'important' Isak goal as Liverpool beat West Ham
-
Merino strikes to give Arsenal bruising draw at 10-man Chelsea
-
Thauvin double sends Lens top of Ligue 1 for 1st time in 21 years
-
Pope urges Lebanese to embrace reconciliation, stay in crisis-hit country
-
Arundell stars as Bath top Prem table with comeback win over Saracens
-
Villarreal edge Real Sociedad, Betis win fiery derby
-
Israel's Netanyahu seeks pardon in corruption cases
-
Verstappen wins Qatar GP to set up final race title showdown
-
Afghan suspect in Washington shooting likely radicalized in US: security official
-
Pastor, bride among 26 kidnapped as Nigeria reels from raids
-
Trump officials host crucial Ukraine talks in Florida
-
OPEC+ reaffirms planned pause on oil output hikes until March
-
Kohli stars as India beat South Africa in first ODI
-
Long-lost Rubens 'masterpiece' sells for almost 3 mn euros
-
Set-piece theft pays off for Man Utd: Amorim
-
Isak scores first Premier League goal for Liverpool to sink West Ham
-
Death toll from Sri Lanka floods, landslides rises to 334: disaster agency
-
Martinez double at Pisa keeps Inter on heels of Serie A leaders AC Milan
-
Swiss reject compulsory civic duty, climate tax for super-rich
-
Moleiro snatches Villarreal late winner at Real Sociedad
-
Pope arrives in Lebanon with message of peace for crisis-hit country
-
Celtic close on Scottish leaders Hearts after beating Hibs
-
Swiss right-to-die group says founder dies by assisted suicide
-
Zirkzee ends goal drought to inspire Man Utd victory at Palace
-
Trump threats dominate as Hondurans vote for president
-
Hong Kong in mourning as fire death toll climbs to 146
-
West Ham legend Bonds dies aged 79
-
Swiss reject compulsory civic duty, climate tax for super-rich: projections
-
Kohli's 135 powers India to 349-8 in first South Africa ODI
-
Indonesia, Thailand race to find missing as flooding toll tops 600
-
After call for Christian unity, pope leaves Turkey for Lebanon
-
Floods hit Sri Lanka's capital as cyclone deaths top 200
-
Netanyahu submits pardon request in Israel corruption cases
-
Corbyn's new left-wing party opts for collective leadership
-
Indonesia, Thailand race to find missing as flooding toll rises to 480
-
In Istanbul, pope meets bereaved family, prays with Armenians
Launch of rugby's rebel R360 league pushed back to 2028
The scheduled launch of rugby's proposed rebel R360 competition targeting the game's top stars has been pushed back by two years to 2028, organisers announced on Friday.
R360 chiefs said the new timescale would offer a number of benefits including "stronger market conditions, greater commercial certainty, and a significantly more favourable environment for players".
"The decision to shift our launch to 2028 is a strategic decision based on timing," said R360 board member and former England centre Mike Tindall.
"Launching under compressed timelines would not meet the standards we set for R360, nor would it deliver the long-term commercial impact that the sport deserves."
Eight leading Test nations last month issued a joint statement saying players who joined the R360 project -- a 15-a-side rugby union competition -- would be ineligible for national team selection.
And Australian rugby league's NRL said any player who joined the breakaway league would be banned for 10 years.
The British and Irish Lions this week said any player who signed up would not be picked for the 2027 women's tour to New Zealand.
The R360 competition has backing from private investors and 2003 Rugby World Cup winner Tindall is the public face of the project, which is shrouded in secrecy.
Reports say it would involve six to eight men's teams and four women's teams in a franchise league.
But there are concerns among rugby chiefs about where the competition would fit into an already packed calendar.
The new date for the planned launch would avoid the men's Rugby World Cup in 2027 and the landmark first women's Lions tour.
But the inaugural Club World Cup is also planned for 2028.
Tindall said the aim of R360 was to create a "global showcase league" to boost rugby's appeal.
He said many of the world's best players, both men and women, continued to express strong interest in joining the breakaway competition.
The R360 statement on Friday also included a section addressing what it called "misinformation" about the proposed competition.
"There has been much misinformation briefed out about the league," it said.
"Rather than rigorously address this on a case-by-case, R360 has kept its counsel to minimise the resultant impact on players and rugby stakeholders, while readying an exciting launch that would unveil the full proposition, involving more than 200 leading players in the game.
"After players were threatened with the punishment of no longer representing their country or being banned from returning to the NRL, only a handful of players from around the world withdrew from the project.
"In the same period, R360 added a further dozen Test match players to its ranks."
R360 had been hoping to gain approval from the sport's global governing body, World Rugby, at its council meeting next year.
F.Schneider--AMWN