-
Norway reports Europe's first case of bird flu in a polar bear
-
Italy's Ganna wins time-trial in Giro shake-up
-
EU vows help for farmers hit by Iran war fertiliser price hikes
-
Emery focused on Villa glory, not crown of Europa League 'king'
-
French govt slams 'disproportionate' Canal+ riposte to anti-Bollore petition
-
US, Iran trade threats but Trump says Tehran wants peace deal
-
Russia's Zvyagintsev sets film amid 'disaster' Ukraine war
-
UK trade minister hopes Britain will rejoin EU 'in my lifetime'
-
Race to find vaccines, treatments for Ebola strain behind outbreak
-
King Charles III bangs drum for Irish music, eyes hip-hop lesson
-
Ganna wins time-trial in Giro shake-up
-
Drone attack kills 28 at market in southern Sudan
-
Putin lands in China for trip that aims to show unshakeable ties after Trump pomp
-
Israel finance minister says ICC seeks arrest warrant against him
-
Kentucky primary vote tests Trump's grip on Republican base
-
Alcaraz withdraws from Wimbledon with wrist injury
-
Indie game plunges players into sci-fi epic 'Battlestar Galactica'
-
Trump shows off site of new $400-mn ballroom
-
Israeli troops in Iraq: what do we know?
-
Oil dips, stocks mixed after Trump holds off on Iran attack
-
India rest Bumrah for one-off Test against Afghanistan
-
G7 finance ministers vow cooperation to face 'heightened risks'
-
Ghana, Ivory Coast to clash in 2027 AFCON qualifying
-
King Charles III makes unannounced visit to N. Ireland
-
Ukraine war widow buries her daughers killed by Russia
-
Power of Siberia 2: The giant gas pipeline Russia wants to build to China
-
Taijul puts Bangladesh on brink of Test series win over Pakistan
-
Iran warns against renewed US attacks as Trump says held off assault
-
France says G7 finance talks 'frank, sometimes difficult'
-
England sweat on skipper Sciver-Brunt's fitness before T20 Women's World Cup
-
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
-
Pakistan court sentences man to death for killing teen influencer
-
Nicaragua's exiled Sergio Ramirez: Autocrats 'don't care' about novels
-
Robertson and McGinn in Scotland squad bidding for World Cup breakthrough
-
Spanish ex-PM Zapatero under investigation for influence peddling
-
Pep Guardiola: Catalan genius who changed football
-
Long-running conflicts muddy DR Congo Ebola response
-
Bayeux Tapestry to be shown flat for first time in London exhibit
-
Albania appoint coach Rolando Maran as Sylvinho's successor
-
Iran civilians learn assault rifle basics to fend off US
-
Beijing says China, US should work together to promote AI governance
-
Mango founder's son arrested in Spain over father's death
-
Neuer set for return to Germany World Cup squad: reports
-
WHO worried about 'scale and speed' of deadly Ebola outbreak
-
Seabird habitats shrink as ocean heats up: study
-
Government encourages women to report rape in French star's assault probes
-
Germany starts sales process for bailed-out energy firm Uniper
-
Europe-China spacecraft launches to study Earth's 'invisible armour'
-
Stellantis joins race to build mini-EVs for Europe
-
How might this World Cup be won on the pitch?
Two-time champion Alcaraz withdraws from Wimbledon with wrist injury
Carlos Alcaraz's hopes of regaining his Wimbledon title have been dashed with the two-time champion announcing Tuesday he is withdrawing as he recovers from a wrist injury.
"My recovery is going well and I'm feeling much better, but unfortunately I'm still not ready to play, I am obliged to withdraw from both Queen's and Wimbledon," said Spaniard Alcaraz, who lost to Jannik Sinner in last year's final in the All England Club.
"These are two really special tournaments for me and I'll miss them a lot. We'll keep working to come back as soon as possible."
Alcaraz sustained the injury during the first round of the Barcelona Open last month and subsequently pulled out of tournaments in Madrid and Rome and then Roland Garros, where he is the reigning two-time champion.
The world number two became the youngest man to complete the career Grand Slam in January with his triumph at the Australian Open. The 23-year-old holds a 22-3 record this season and also won a title in Doha.
Wimbledon will be only the third Grand Slam that Alcaraz has missed since making his main draw debut at the 2021 Australian Open. The Spaniard withdrew from the 2023 edition in Melbourne with a hamstring injury.
- Sinner rivalry -
Alcaraz's wrist injury has stopped him continuing his exciting rivalry with Italian world number one Sinner, 24, who is firm favourite to triumph in Paris and London.
He lost top spot following his defeat by Sinner in the Monte Carlo Masters final on April 12.
The seven-time Grand Slam winner triumphed at Roland Garros in 2024 and 2025. He saved three championship points against Sinner last year in the longest French Open final in history.
The Italian, who has never won the French Open, may be able to capitalise on Alcaraz's absence. This year's tournament runs from May 24 to June 7.
Alcaraz won his first Wimbledon trophy in 2023, defeating seven-time champion Novak Djokovic in the final and successfully defended his title against the Serb the following year.
This year's Wimbledon championship runs from June 29 to July 12.
"It's sad news for all of us, me being a competitor you want to play against the best players in the world and he's definitely the best player on this surface," Sinner had said after Alcaraz's withdrawal from the French Open.
"Being that young, like he is and like I am, we need to look at our bodies first before worse things (happen)."
Last month, Alcaraz insisted that he would not risk a premature return.
"I'd rather come back maybe a bit later, but in great shape, than come back quickly and risk making this injury worse," he explained.
"I have a long career ahead of me, so I'm not afraid to miss what I have to miss in order to recover as well as possible."
A.Malone--AMWN