-
Tourism boom pushes limits of Athens air traffic control
-
Clark fends off McIlroy to win BMW Championship
-
Liga holders Barcelona crush Elche, Atletico salvage Villarreal draw
-
Raphinha, Lopez hit braces as Barcelona trounce Elche
-
Spain's World Cup hero Torres saves PSG's blushes at Rennes
-
Macron hosts Saudi crown prince for visit ranging from esports to Mideast
-
Swiss forward Embolo joins Atlanta United
-
Jamieson gets Trump call after ending 14-year golf title drought
-
Former cricket captains appeal to Pakistan over Khan health care
-
Norwegian King Harald's health has 'deteriorated': palace
-
Latest 'Spider-Man' tops American box office for 4th weekend
-
Man City snatch late win in Maresca debut, Iraola's Liverpool rescue dramatic draw
-
Szoboszlai's last-gasp leveller rescues Liverpool in Newcastle draw
-
Trump takes starring role at Washington's IndyCar debut
-
Landfill collapse kills 30 in Guinea
-
Villa boss Emery says it's down to Watkins to explain absence
-
'Unbelievable' Cherki proves his point to Man City boss Maresca
-
Duplantis labours to 'super difficult' pole vault win at Silesia Diamond League
-
10-man Atletico snatch Villarreal draw as Alvarez returns
-
Max smash at zany Zandvoort: Three stories from the Dutch GP
-
Seville, Jefferson-Wooden roar to 100m wins at Silesia Diamond League
-
Brennan sprints to Vuelta stage two victory, Pogacar keeps red
-
VW chief warns carmaker's situation 'more than critical'
-
Duplantis conquers pole vault at Silesia Diamond League
-
England cricketer Carse under investigation after 'nightclub incident'
-
France's badminton gold winners set for obscurity back home
-
McLaren's Norris wins Dutch GP after Verstappen crash
-
Brighton start Premier League season with rout of 10-man Villa
-
Giroud scores as Lille give Davide Ancelotti winning start
-
Maresca makes winning start with Man City after dramatic fightback
-
Kejelcha smashes half-marathon world record in Buenos Aires
-
Mo'unga returns for All Blacks against Johannesburg Lions
-
Trump admin predicts US trade war 'devastating' for Canada
-
Belgian sprinter Philipsen wins Renewi Tour
-
Trump set for starring role at Washington's debut IndyCar race
-
'A day for French badminton' as Lanier triumph gives them golden double at world champs
-
Kane voted player of the year in Germany
-
Kane voted German footballer of the year
-
Padikkal hundred helps India to 300-5 against Sri Lanka
-
'New season, new trim': Man City star Haaland chops off flowing locks
-
Man City agree deal for Lille star Bouaddi
-
Lanier clinches badminton world title in France's golden double
-
Humanoids break records at Beijing Robot Games
-
After Wildberries, Ukraine launches drone campaign on Russia's Ozon
-
Zelensky rejects rival's call for vote, says would 'split' Ukraine
-
Padikkal, Gill half-centuries take India to 187-3 at tea
-
Zelensky rejects wartime elections, says would 'split' Ukraine
-
Cummins hails 'sharp' Australia as they get back to winning ways
-
'Keep up the spirit': Indonesian teenage 'Superman' joins wildfire fight
-
Bangladesh eye more Australia Tests to hit next level
Infantino and the failed investment plan -- What they said
FIFA president Gianni Infantino's position remains precarious, despite having received support from senior directors and a confederation this week, even after shelving his much-criticised plan to allow private investment in the World Cup.
The 56-year-old Italian-Swiss lawyer's future hangs in the balance, after having previously looked assured with him a shoo-in to be re-elected unopposed for a fourth and final term next March.
AFP Sport highlights the pick of the reaction since Infantino's humiliating climbdown last Saturday:
FIFA
"There are always lessons to be learned, and FIFA will continue to improve its processes in light of this experience."
-- Statement following senior directors meeting with Infantino in Morocco where they gave him their "full support".
"FIFA will no longer tolerate any attacks on its integrity, good governance and due process and will take all necessary measures to protect and safeguard its name and reputation."
-- Directors try to draw a line under the affair by threatening action.
The critics
"UEFA's associations were very clear about the conditions attached to their non participation in FIFA competitions.
"First, the proposals to sell off the major competitions had to be withdrawn and secondly, assurances have to be made that such attempts to disfigure the game in this way will never be made again.
"These conditions have not been met."
-- UEFA's uncompromising response to FIFA's directors show of unity reiterating its threat to boycott the World Cups.
"UEFA made it abundantly clear in its statement on Saturday that it has lost confidence in Gianni Infantino's presidency. That position holds."
-- UEFA sticks to Infantino must go and dismisses FIFA directors' show of support as unsurprising as their "careers depend on his favour".
"He does not have the institutional trust required to lead FIFA in a stable manner in the current climate. There is no turning back for Gianni Infantino.
"We (Norwegian Football Federation) are going to ask the FIFA president to resign now."
-- NFF president Lise Klaveness, a consistent critic of the Italian-Swiss lawyer, makes no bones about what she wants.
"A comprehensive reckoning with this presidency is imperative."
-- North and Central American football's governing body CONCACAF throws down the gauntlet, its president Victor Montagliani is widely-cited as the favoured candidate to oppose Infantino.
"Together with UEFA and other confederations, we must ensure that a fundamentally different culture takes hold at FIFA -- a culture where, above all, decisions are once again discussed and made by members within the governing bodies."
-- The German Football Federation.
"We pride ourselves in Jordan in upholding ethical values. We did not endorse him before and certainly will not now. But the whole situation amounts to blackmail and we refuse to give in to that."
-- Prince Ali bin Al-Hussein, president of the Jordanian Football Association and who ran against Infantino in 2016, accuses FIFA of withholding money owed unless he supported Infantino in his re-election bid.
"Certainly I don't have confidence in Mr Infantino, after this point, given what transpired."
-- Mark Carney, Prime Minister of Canada, one of the three co-hosts of the recently concluded World Cup.
"A profound abuse of presidential power."
-- FIFPRO, the players union.
FIFA insiders
"The decision to withdraw the project was absolutely necessary and beyond question."
-- Legendary former Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger, appointed in 2019 by Infantino as Chief of Global Football Development. He is among those individuals, listed in UEFA's lawyer's letter, instructed to keep all 'Relevant Materials' pertinent to the plan.
"Individuals, unstable moments and unfortunate episodes come and go. The institution, its mission and its responsibility towards world football continue."
-- FIFA secretary-general Mattias Grafstrom's message to staff in a bid to rebuild morale. He too is in the list of people cited by UEFA's lawyer that should keep all relevant documents pertaining to the plan.
Supporters
"The FIFA president's decision was wise as it prioritises the unity and cohesion of all the member associations of FIFA for all the initiatives of developing football."
-- Fouzi Lekjaa, president of the Moroccan Football Federation, who added Infantino had his full backing.
"The CAF EXCO also unanimously reconfirmed its support for FIFA President Gianni Infantino and thanked him for his support for African Football, over the years."
-- The Confederation of African Football is not for turning and sticks by its friend.
"The FMF (Mexican Football Federation) supports president Infantino's leadership in continuing to promote the development of football through institutional strengthening."
-- Although CONCACAF was unanimous in condemning the handling of the plan, it is another matter in deserting Infantino, as World Cup co-hosts Mexico swing behind him.
"The Qatar Football Association fully supports President Infantino's efforts to continue growing and strengthening the game globally."
-- 2022 World Cup hosts Qatar are firmly behind Infantino -- Kuwait also lined up behind him.
Ch.Havering--AMWN