-
Liverpool late show floors Nottingham Forest
-
Rimac Nevera R: Beyond imagination
-
USA beat Canada to win men's Olympic ice hockey gold
-
Samardzic seals comeback win for Atalanta over Napoli
-
Eileen Gu switches slopes for catwalk after Olympic flourish
-
Luce: Ferrari's ingenious electric revolution
-
Miller guides South Africa to 187-7 against India
-
Scotland boss 'proud' of comeback Six Nations win over Wales
-
Iranian students rally for second day as fears of war with US mount
-
US Secret Service kills man trying to access Trump Florida estate
-
Coventry 'let the Games do their magic': former IOC executives
-
Cayenne Turbo Electric 2026
-
Sri Lanka have to qualify 'the hard way' after England drubbing
-
Doris says Six Nations rout of England is sparking Irish 'belief'
-
Thousands of pilgrims visit remains of St Francis
-
Emotional Gu makes history with Olympic freeski halfpipe gold
-
Impressive Del Toro takes statement victory in UAE
-
Gu wins triumphant gold of Milan-Cortina Olympics before ice hockey finale
-
England rout Sri Lanka for 95 to win Super Eights opener
-
Underhill tells struggling England to maintain Six Nations 'trust' as Italy await
-
Alfa Tonale 2026: With a new look
-
BMW 7 Series and i7: facelift in 2026
-
Eileen Gu makes history with Olympic freeski halfpipe gold
-
Eileen Gu makes history with Olympic halfpipe gold
-
Morocco flood evacuees mark muted Ramadan away from home
-
Lucid Gravity 2026: Test report
-
Sri Lanka restrict England to 146-9 in T20 World Cup Super Eights
-
West Indies wary of Zimbabwe's 'X-factor' quick Muzarabani
-
Bentley: Visions for 2026
-
Eileen Gu wins Olympic gold in women's freeski halfpipe
-
First 'dispersed' Winter Olympics a success -- and snow helped
-
Six stand-out moments from the 2026 Winter Olympics
-
Andrew's arrest hands King Charles fresh royal crisis
-
Afghans mourn villagers killed in Pakistani strikes
-
Jeeno Thitikul brings home LPGA win in Thailand
-
Snowboard champion Karl '99 percent' sure parallel giant slalom will stay in Olympics
-
Greenland does not need US hospital ship: Danish minister
-
Russian missile barrage hits energy, railways across Ukraine
-
Ka Ying Rising makes Hong Kong racing history with 18th win
-
St Francis relics go on public show for first time in Italy
-
Deflated Australia face tough questions after T20 World Cup flop
-
Brazil's Lula urges Trump to treat all countries equally
-
Knicks rally to down Rockets as Pistons, Spurs roll on
-
Brumbies end 26-year jinx with thrashing of Crusaders
-
Pakistan launches deadly strikes in Afghanistan
-
Son's LAFC defeats Messi and Miami in MLS season opener
-
Korda to face Paul in all-American Delray Beach final
-
Vikings receiver Rondale Moore dies at 25
-
Copper, a coveted metal boosting miners
-
Indigenous protesters occupy Cargill port terminal in Brazil
Le Monde accused of 'censorship' for pulling op-ed on Macron
Leading French daily Le Monde on Friday faced accusations of censorship after it deleted an opinion piece that critically analysed President Emmanuel Macron's stance on Algeria, although the newspaper insisted it had contained an error of interpretation.
Le Monde issued a hugely unusual personal apology to Macron over the article, written by the researcher Paul Max Morin after the president made a hugely sensitive visit to the former French colony late last month.
In his article, Morin argued that a comment made by Macron in Algeria about a "love story that has its tragic element" glorified the colonial past and represented a step back from his previous attempts for a more modern attitude towards the history of France in the North African country.
"Reducing colonisation in Algeria to a 'love story' is the culmination of Macron's shift to the right on the memory question," Morin argued in the piece.
But Le Monde said that it had later deleted the piece as Morin had misinterpreted the quote.
"While it could be subject to different interpretations, the phrase 'a love story that has its tragic element' used by Mr Macron did not specifically refer to colonisation -- as was written in the piece -- but the long history of relations between France and Algeria," it said.
"Le Monde apologises to its readers as well as the president of the Republic," it added.
- 'Inexplicable and inexcusable' -
But the move was followed by a torrent of criticism, especially from figures on the left.
"An op-ed was pulled for a quote Macron made which he did not like," tweeted far-left leader Jean-Luc Melenchon. "It is a new low in the collapse of a newspaper that was once a point of reference."
"Staggering censorship," added Edwy Plenel, a former editor-in-chief of Le Monde who went on to found the investigative website Mediapart.
Morin himself told the Liberation daily that "pulling a piece is an abnormal practice and incomprehensible."
"Inexplicable and inexcusable censorship by Le Monde," tweeted the leading French economist Thomas Piketty. "We can disagree with the piece, but not delete it because it displeases the Elysee."
There was no immediate comment from Macron's office.
The controversy is doubly sensitive given it was Le Monde which in October 2021 quoted closed-door comments by Macron describing Algeria's system as "politico-military" that prompted a new crisis in relations with Algiers.
"When we make mistakes that are our fault, it's normal to apologise to people who may have been offended, starting with our readers," the director of Le Monde, Jerome Fenoglio, told AFP.
Macron in his speeches portrays himself as a champion of the free press but there have been episodes in the past that, according to critics, reveal a more thin-skinned attitude.
In November 2020, the Financial Times pulled a piece that was bitterly critical of France's policy in the fight against Islamist extremism. Macron followed up with a letter to the paper bitterly attacking the article.
L.Durand--AMWN