-
Woad bags second LPGA title at Queen City Championship
-
Lebanon says Israeli strikes kill 7 as Hezbollah condemns talks
-
Revived La Rochelle trounce Top 14 leaders Toulouse
-
PSG beaten by Paris FC in Ligue 1 as Lille qualify for Champions League
-
Griezmann apologetic on emotional Atletico Madrid farewell
-
Raging Neymar forced off by refereeing error as Santos lose
-
Sinner extends Masters tournament streak on home turf, eyes French Open
-
Canadian cruise passenger confirmed positive for hantavirus
-
England see off gutsy France to clinch another Women's Six Nations
-
Sevilla safe despite Real Madrid defeat, Mallorca on brink
-
UK police detail arrests after far-right rally and counter demo
-
Smalley tees off with PGA lead and stars in hot pursuit
-
Trump issues dire warning to Iran to accept peace deal
-
West Ham on brink of Premier League relegation, Man Utd seal third
-
Bulgaria's Eurovision winner flies home to rapturous welcome
-
Starc takes four to keep Delhi alive in IPL
-
Kyiv residents protest 'dangerous' civil code, call for LGBTQ rights
-
Modiba thunderbolt gives Sundowns victory in African final first leg
-
World champions England see off France to clinch another Women's Six Nations
-
Taiwan's leader says island will not be 'traded away'
-
Sinner wins Italian Open, extends Masters tournament streak
-
'Michael' moonwalks back to top of N. America box office
-
Putter powers sizzling Kitayama to record 63 at PGA
-
Travolta channelled film greats in low-thrust plane movie
-
Scotland rugby great Scott Hastings dead at 61 - SRU
-
Fujimori and Sanchez advance to Peru runoff: official results
-
Italian PM meets victims of Modena car incident
-
'Fight relentlessly': Ukraine commander vows strikes into Russia
-
Kitayama fires sizzling 63 at PGA as No.1 Scheffler starts
-
Fernandes equals Premier League assist record in Man Utd win, West Ham brace for Newcastle
-
Ireland thrash Scotland 54-5 in Women's Six Nations to finish third
-
Vingegaard climbs to victory as Eulalio holds firm in pink
-
Carrick expects clarity on Man Utd future in 'coming days'
-
Eyewitness says Modena tragedy could have been even worse
-
Around 10 'new' victims in France's Epstein probe: prosecutor
-
Shock threat by billionaire Bollore's Canal+ group rocks French cinema
-
Kohli, Venkatesh dazzle as Bengaluru qualify for IPL play-offs
-
Probes ongoing into alleged abuse at 84 Paris preschools: prosecutor
-
Di Giannantonio wins Catalan MotoGP Grand Prix, Alex Marquez injured in horror crash
-
Fernandes equals assist record as Man Utd edge Forest thriller
-
Earps to leave PSG, in talks with London City Lionesses
-
Bowlers, Joy put Bangladesh on top in second Pakistan Test
-
Alex Marquez injured in horrific Catalan MotoGP crash
-
'Message for friends and foes': Libyan National Army conducts grand exercises
-
Bayern's Neuer sidelined again with leg issue
-
Adam Driver shuts down question about clashes with Lena Dunham
-
British soprano Felicity Lott dies aged 79
-
Roma near Champions League return with derby triumph, Napoli secure top four
-
Denmark's Antonsen wins badminton Thailand Open title
-
'Toxic' males Trump, Putin, Netanyahu to blame for wars, says star Bardem
Alec Baldwin pleads not guilty to 'Rust' killing
Alec Baldwin has pleaded not guilty to manslaughter charges over the death of a young woman who was fatally shot on the set of a budget Western, US court documents showed Wednesday.
Baldwin, a producer and star of the film, was charged last month for his role in the 2021 death of Halyna Hutchins during the filming of period piece "Rust" in New Mexico.
He was holding a Colt .45 when it discharged, killing Hutchins and wounding director Joel Souza.
Baldwin has repeatedly denied responsibility, insisting he did not pull the trigger on the gun, which should not have been loaded with a live round.
The incident sent shockwaves through Hollywood, and led to calls for a tightening of the rules around the use of firearms on movie sets.
But it also led to accusations of sloppy management, with some in the industry saying regulations were already tight, and that they had simply not been properly followed during the making of "Rust."
Baldwin's lawyers Luke Nikas and Alex Spiro have filed a request for a quick trial in order to "minimize public vilification and suspicion and to avoid the hazards of proving his innocence that often arise after a lengthy delay in prosecution.
Baldwin had been due to appear virtually in the New Mexico court on Thursday for an arraignment, but his lawyers submitted a waiver that also contained his plea of not guilty.
Initial manslaughter charges against 65-year-old Baldwin were dropped in April last year, due to what prosecutors called "new facts" that demanded "further investigation and forensic analysis."
That led to the empaneling of a grand jury, which ultimately handed down the indictment he is now facing -- and could see him jailed for up to 18 months, if convicted.
Baldwin faces two alternative counts of involuntary manslaughter -- one involving "negligent use of a firearm" and one of acting "without due caution or circumspection."
It will be up to the jury to decide whether to convict him on one or the other, or neither (but not both).
The charges relate to the action, not to the oversight of the movie, meaning he is being held culpable as an actor, not in his capacity as producer.
Actors' union SAG-AFTRA criticized the charges, which it said were based on "an incorrect assessment of the actual duties of an actor."
"An actor's job is not to be a firearms or weapons expert," the union said. "Firearms are provided for use on set under the guidance of multiple expert professionals directly responsible for the safe and accurate operation of that firearm."
Hannah Gutierrez-Reed, the film's armorer -- the person responsible for supplying and maintaining weapons -- is set to go on trial later in the month on charges of involuntary manslaughter and tampering with evidence.
Dave Halls, the film's safety coordinator and assistant director who handed Baldwin the loaded gun, agreed to a plea deal with prosecutors and was sentenced to six months' probation.
Filming of "Rust" was halted by the tragedy, but resumed last year.
The cinematographer's widower, Matthew Hutchins, who has already settled a wrongful death suit with "Rust" producers, served as an executive producer on the project.
Director Souza also returned, saying at the time that completing the movie would be "bittersweet" but that the cast and crew "are committed to completing what Halyna and I started."
Baldwin remains free on bail.
L.Harper--AMWN