-
Mikaela Shiffrin, skiing's greatest back on top of the world
-
Denmark's King Frederik X arrives in Greenland in show of support
-
Gabon cuts off Facebook, TikTok amid teachers' strike
-
Ukraine's officials to boycott Paralympics over Russian flag decision
-
Notorious Courbet painting goes on show in Vienna
-
In reversal, US agrees to review new Moderna flu shot
-
Glencore still open to 'mega-miner' deal after Rio collapse
-
Shiffrin finally strikes Olympic gold, China win first title
-
Russian era ends at abandoned launchpad in South American jungle
-
'Utterly absurd': Kosovo ex-president denies war crimes as trial closes
-
Turkey to give cash for soap TV series that boost national image
-
Man missing in floods as France hit by record 35 days of rain
-
Our goal? Win World Cup, says Shadab as Pakistan into Super Eights
-
Birthday boy Su wins China's first gold of Milan-Cortina Olympics
-
India opener Abhishek out for third straight duck at T20 World Cup
-
Biles consoles Malinin after 'heartbreaking' Olympic collapse
-
US star Shiffrin wins Olympic slalom gold
-
Ukraine says 'outrageous' to allow Russian Paralympians to compete under own flag
-
Liverpool captain Van Dijk hails Szoboszlai as future 'leader'
-
UEFA to investigate alleged racist abuse of Vinicius
-
'It's my story': US skater Liu looking to upset Sakamoto and Japanese
-
Cricket: T20 World Cup Super Eights explained
-
Rennes turn to Haise to replace Beye as coach
-
Ton-up Farhan helps Pakistan seal Super Eight spot with Namibia rout
-
Norway's Klaebo extends all-time Winter Olympics golds record to 10
-
Spanish police arrest hacker who booked luxury hotels for one cent
-
Russia, Cuba slam US in Moscow show of solidarity
-
Germany's Merz casts doubt on European fighter jet plan
-
Snowboarder Su Yiming wins China's first gold of Milan-Cortina Olympics
-
How Real Madrid's Vinicius became repeated target of racist abuse
-
Prince William opens up on mental health, understanding his 'emotions'
-
Farhan ton takes Pakistan to 199-3 in must-win T20 World Cup match
-
French hard left reports 'bomb threat' after far-right activist killing
-
Gabon cuts off Facebook, TikTok after protests
-
India celebrates birth of cheetah cubs to boost reintroduction bid
-
Greek taxis kick off two-day strike against private operators
-
Turkey MPs back moves to 'reintegrate' former PKK fighters
-
Sri Lanka unfazed by England whitewash ahead of Super Eights clash
-
Shiffrin primed for Olympic gold after rapid first slalom run
-
Dog gives Olympics organisers paws for thought
-
South Africa fire Super Eights warning to India with UAE romp
-
Ukraine war talks resume in Geneva after 'tense' first day
-
US tech giant Nvidia announces India deals at AI summit
-
US comedian Colbert says broadcaster spiked Democrat interview over Trump fears
-
Kenyan activist fears for life after police bug phone
-
Isabelle Huppert sinks teeth into Austrian vampire saga
-
Peru to elect interim leader after graft scandal ousts president
-
French designer threads a path in London fashion week
-
Hungarian star composer Kurtag celebrates 100th birthday with new opera
-
Congolese rumba, music caught between neglect and nostalgia
UK's king shares 'good news' that cancer treatment will be reduced in 2026
Britain's King Charles III, who has broken royal taboos to talk openly about battling cancer, Friday revealed the "good news" that his treatment will be pared back next year.
In a rare and "personal message" filmed for an annual TV fundraising campaign for research into the devastating disease, the monarch also urged Britons to take advantage of UK screening programmes.
"Today I am able to share with you the good news that thanks to early diagnosis, effective intervention and adherence to 'doctors' orders', my own schedule of cancer treatment can be reduced in the new year," Charles said.
The 77-year-old king announced in February 2024 that he had been diagnosed with an undisclosed type of cancer the previous month.
"I know from my own experience that a cancer diagnosis can feel overwhelming," the king acknowledged in his video message shown on Channel 4 television as part of the national Stand Up To Cancer campaign.
"Yet I also know that early detection is the key that can transform treatment journeys, giving invaluable time to medical teams – and, to their patients, the precious gift of hope."
Charles did not reveal what kind of cancer he is being treated for, nor did he specify what kind of treatment he is receiving.
He said he had been deeply troubled to learn that "at least nine million people in our country are not up to date with the cancer screenings available to them".
"That is at least nine million opportunities for early diagnosis being missed," he stressed.
He highlighted how when "bowel cancer is caught at the earliest stage, around nine in 10 people survive for at least five years. When diagnosed late, that falls to just one in 10".
Royal sources said it should not be assumed the king was being treated for bowel cancer.
The king's willingness to talk about his illness is a marked departure from the reign of his mother, the late Queen Elizabeth II, whose health was for decades a closely-guarded secret.
Fundraisers and celebrity challenges have been taking place throughout the week leading up to Friday's show.
Stand Up To Cancer, which brings together UK celebrities for the national fund-raising drive, says to date it has raised more than £113 million ($151 million).
The funds aid research into more than 20 different types of cancer, including brain tumours, avoiding surgery for those with rectal cancer, and designing methods to lessen the often brutal side effects of chemotherapy.
- 'Best of humanity' -
Charles's cancer was detected in January 2024 during treatment for a benign prostate condition for which he had surgery. The palace said he did not have prostate cancer.
Just six weeks after Charles announced his diagnosis, his daughter-in-law Catherine, Princess of Wales, revealed she also had cancer and had begun chemotherapy. The mother of three young children has also never discussed what kind of cancer she was suffering from.
In January, the princess also known as Kate announced she was in remission and cancer-free, after what her husband, heir to the throne Prince William, admitted had been a "brutal" year and the "hardest" of his life.
The king suspended his public duties for a few weeks before resuming them in April 2024.
He has stepped up his activities over the past year, making many royal visits around Britain as well as trips to Canada and the Vatican.
He was briefly hospitalised in March after experiencing "side effects" from his ongoing cancer treatment.
In a candid written message during a reception in April at Buckingham Palace for cancer campaigners, the monarch acknowledged that every cancer diagnosis is "daunting and at times frightening".
"But as one among those statistics myself, I can vouch for the fact that it can also be an experience that brings into sharp focus the very best of humanity," he said.
F.Bennett--AMWN