-
Frustrated McIlroy drops F-bomb in exchange with PGA heckler
-
Defending champion Palou storms to Indy 500 pole
-
Messi shines as Inter Miami finally win at new stadium
-
Shai Gilgeous-Alexander wins second straight NBA MVP award
-
White House mass prayer event seeks to reclaim US Christian roots
-
International dive group joins Maldives search for missing Italians
-
'Staggering' Iran toll drives up global executions: Amnesty
-
Rai wins first major at PGA with back-nine birdie blitz
-
Woad bags second LPGA title at Queen City Championship
-
Lebanon says Israeli strikes kill 7 as Hezbollah condemns talks
-
Revived La Rochelle trounce Top 14 leaders Toulouse
-
PSG beaten by Paris FC in Ligue 1 as Lille qualify for Champions League
-
Griezmann apologetic on emotional Atletico Madrid farewell
-
Raging Neymar forced off by refereeing error as Santos lose
-
Sinner extends Masters tournament streak on home turf, eyes French Open
-
Canadian cruise passenger confirmed positive for hantavirus
-
England see off gutsy France to clinch another Women's Six Nations
-
Sevilla safe despite Real Madrid defeat, Mallorca on brink
-
UK police detail arrests after far-right rally and counter demo
-
Smalley tees off with PGA lead and stars in hot pursuit
-
Trump issues dire warning to Iran to accept peace deal
-
West Ham on brink of Premier League relegation, Man Utd seal third
-
Bulgaria's Eurovision winner flies home to rapturous welcome
-
Starc takes four to keep Delhi alive in IPL
-
Kyiv residents protest 'dangerous' civil code, call for LGBTQ rights
-
Modiba thunderbolt gives Sundowns victory in African final first leg
-
World champions England see off France to clinch another Women's Six Nations
-
Taiwan's leader says island will not be 'traded away'
-
Sinner wins Italian Open, extends Masters tournament streak
-
'Michael' moonwalks back to top of N. America box office
-
Putter powers sizzling Kitayama to record 63 at PGA
-
Travolta channelled film greats in low-thrust plane movie
-
Scotland rugby great Scott Hastings dead at 61 - SRU
-
Fujimori and Sanchez advance to Peru runoff: official results
-
Italian PM meets victims of Modena car incident
-
'Fight relentlessly': Ukraine commander vows strikes into Russia
-
Kitayama fires sizzling 63 at PGA as No.1 Scheffler starts
-
Fernandes equals Premier League assist record in Man Utd win, West Ham brace for Newcastle
-
Ireland thrash Scotland 54-5 in Women's Six Nations to finish third
-
Vingegaard climbs to victory as Eulalio holds firm in pink
-
Carrick expects clarity on Man Utd future in 'coming days'
-
Eyewitness says Modena tragedy could have been even worse
-
Around 10 'new' victims in France's Epstein probe: prosecutor
-
Shock threat by billionaire Bollore's Canal+ group rocks French cinema
-
Kohli, Venkatesh dazzle as Bengaluru qualify for IPL play-offs
-
Probes ongoing into alleged abuse at 84 Paris preschools: prosecutor
-
Di Giannantonio wins Catalan MotoGP Grand Prix, Alex Marquez injured in horror crash
-
Fernandes equals assist record as Man Utd edge Forest thriller
-
Earps to leave PSG, in talks with London City Lionesses
-
Bowlers, Joy put Bangladesh on top in second Pakistan Test
'Rock bottom': Australian media lament Wallabies' World Cup 'nightmare'
The Wallabies rugby team was blasted by the Australian media after their record defeat to Wales on Sunday left Eddie Jones' side on the verge of an early World Cup exit.
The two-time world champions crashed to a 40-6 loss to the Welsh on the back of a shock pool defeat to Fiji to leave Australia's hopes of reaching the quarter-finals all but over.
Sunday's result was both Australia's heaviest defeat at a Rugby World Cup and their worst-ever loss to Wales.
Australia, who have one pool game left against Portugal, are set to miss out on the World Cup knock-out stages for the first time in 10 tournaments having only beaten tier-two side Georgia so far in France.
"Rock Bottom: Wallabies worst nightmare comes true," was the verdict of media outlets The Australian and The Daily Telegraph.
The latest loss ramps up the pressure on Australia head coach Eddie Jones after seven defeats in eight games since he took charge in January.
Following the defeat in Lyon, Jones apologised for the result but denied Australian media reports claiming he has been interviewed by the Japan Rugby Union about coaching their team after the World Cup.
Jones has also been heavily criticised for bringing an inexperienced squad to the Rugby World Cup.
"The Eddie Jones experiment can officially be declared a disaster after the Wallabies all but crashed out of the World Cup in record-breaking fashion," rugby reporter Tom Decent wrote in the Sydney Morning Herald.
Several Wallabies stars expressed their dismay at the result.
"Shattered for @Wallabies but congrats to my valley friends," wrote former Australia fly-half Matt Giteau on social media outlet X.
"It didn't have to be like this," Wallabies back Bernard Foley, 34, also posted.
However veteran Wallabies flanker Michael Hooper, who Jones omitted from the World Cup squad because of injury, came to the head coach's defence.
"A lot is going to come on Eddie, and maybe there’s some fairness in that," Hooper told broadcaster Stan Sport.
"But I've been in the camp. No one is up for more hours than Eddie. Eddie is up until 11pm thinking about how to make the Wallabies team better, and he's waking up at 3am answering messages.
"Let's not have a crack at the bloke."
Former New Zealand international and Stan Sport pundit Sonny Bill Williams said he felt for the players and travelling Australian supporters, who left the stadium early in their droves.
"That second half, they looked like a team that just lost belief," said Williams, a double World Cup winner with the All Blacks.
"40-6 was really embarrassing and I feel for these kids. They're going to carry this on for the rest of their careers and feel this until they get to come back here again and rectify it."
P.Santos--AMWN