-
Bangladesh's new PM, political heir Tarique Rahman
-
Rain threatens to knock Australia out of T20 World Cup
-
US civil rights leader Jesse Jackson dies at 84: family
-
Trump's new envoy arrives in South Africa with relations frayed
-
Jesse Jackson: civil rights lion sought 'common ground'
-
Iran, United States hold new talks in Geneva
-
Tariq confident Pakistan can bounce back after India drubbing
-
Being back in the USA 'feels amazing', says Vonn
-
New Zealand cruise into Super Eights at T20 World Cup
-
Moscow, Kyiv meet for US-brokered talks after fresh attacks
-
Exhilarating Italy aim to sign off with giant-killing at T20 World Cup
-
Samra hits 110 for Canada against New Zealand at T20 World Cup
-
'Made in Europe' or 'Made with Europe'? Buy European push splits bloc
-
Slovakia revamps bunkers with Ukraine war uncomfortably close
-
Sydney man jailed for mailing reptiles in popcorn bags
-
'Like a Virgin' songwriter Billy Steinberg dies at 75
-
Who fills Sexton vacuum? Irish fly-half debate no closer to resolution
-
Japan hails 'new chapter' with first Olympic pairs skating gold
-
Russian prosthetics workshops fill up with wounded soldiers
-
'Not just props that eat': Extras seek recognition at their own 'Oscars'
-
Bangladesh PM-to-be Tarique Rahman and lawmakers sworn into parliament
-
At least 14 killed in spate of attacks in northwest Pakistan
-
Peru Congress to debate impeachment of interim president
-
Bleak future for West Bank pupils as budget cuts bite
-
Oil in spotlight as Trump's Iran warning rattles sleepy markets
-
Why are more under-50s getting colorectal cancer? 'We don't know'
-
Moscow, Kyiv set for Geneva peace talks amid Russian attacks
-
Iran, United States set for new talks in Geneva
-
China has slashed air pollution, but the 'war' isn't over
-
India's tougher AI social media rules spark censorship fears
-
Doctors, tourism, tobacco: Cuba buckling under US pressure
-
Indonesia capital faces 'filthy' trash crisis
-
France grants safe haven to anti-Kremlin couple detained by ICE
-
BioNxt Receives Milestone EPO Decision to Grant European Patent for Sublingual Cladribine Drug Delivery Technology for Multiple Sclerosis
-
Nano One Announces Executive Leadership Appointments
-
Agronomics Limited Announces Half-year Financial Report
-
Empire Metals Limited Announces Major Drilling Campaign to Commence at Pitfield
-
Coca-Cola Europacific Partners plc Announces Preliminary Unaudited Results Q4 & FY 2025
-
Nikon Introduces The Ultra Compact Trailblazer II Binocular
-
The Venture Debt Conference Announces Speakers for April 16 Event in New York
-
Frederick Wiseman, documentarian of America's institutions, dead at 96
-
Gu pipped to Olympic gold again as Meillard extends Swiss ski dominance
-
Copper powers profit surge at Australia's BHP
-
China's Gu defiant after missing out on Olympic gold again
-
Remains of Colombian priest-turned-guerrilla identified six decades later
-
USA bobsleigh veteran Meyers Taylor wins elusive gold
-
Miura and Kihara snatch Olympic pairs gold for Japan
-
Gu pipped to gold again as Meillard extends Swiss ski dominance at Olympics
-
Barca suffer title defence blow in Girona derby defeat
-
Brentford edge out sixth-tier Macclesfield in FA Cup
Frenchman's mislabelled war photos donation sparks China controversy
A Frenchman's donation of vintage conflict photographs to China offers insight into the 1930-1940s Sino-Japanese War -- even if some images are not the unique family heirlooms he believed them to be.
Marcus Detrez landed in Beijing last month with a leather briefcase that he said contained hundreds of his grandfather's pictures from the conflict, which ended in 1945 after widespread atrocities in China.
State-run media outlets such as China Daily and CCTV reported that the 26-year-old found the yellowed images while rummaging through the garage of his family home in 2021.
"All of them were taken by my grandfather Roger-Pierre Laurens in Shanghai," says text over a video featuring Detrez and his companions on Douyin, China's version of TikTok.
Detrez's claims spread quickly, racking up tens of thousands of shares on Douyin ahead of the 80th anniversary of the end of World War II later this year.
However, an AFP digital investigation found many of the pictures were taken by other people.
Two photos have been attributed to the Associated Press, while some digital copies of the images were published years ago by Chinese media outlets.
Jamie Carstairs, former manager of the Historical Photographs of China (HPC) project at Britain's University of Bristol, said that Detrez should be "congratulated for his kind donation" but that "care should be taken".
"It is not correct to say that the photos were purportedly taken by Roger-Pierre Laurens," Carstairs said. "Some of them might have been, but others were not."
- 'Return the truth' -
Japan's early 20th-century imperial ambitions resulted in military occupations across large parts of Asia, including China.
After invading in the 1930s, Japanese soldiers committed atrocities like the 1937 Nanjing Massacre, a six-week spree of mass murder, rape and looting that killed tens if not hundreds of thousands of the city's inhabitants.
Detrez said in a May 2024 Douyin video that his grandfather "came to Shanghai in 1930 as an entrepreneur" and "took these photos fearlessly" despite two of his sons being killed by the Japanese.
He later told a Beijing broadcaster he wanted to "return the truth to the Chinese".
After state broadcaster CGTN reported Detrez "expressed an intention to donate them to Chinese institutions", a Shanghai Sino-Japanese War memorial hall told CCTV that his photos had been received and were "pending professional appraisal".
- 'Duplicate prints' -
However, AFP found several inconsistencies.
A photo featuring a Japanese naval parade through a Shanghai street traces back to online archives from the US Naval History and Heritage Command, which told AFP it was taken by a chief warrant officer in 1937.
Carstairs said the HPC database, which includes a large collection of original materials and digitised versions of historic images, indicates a few of the pictures appear in an album from Chinese photographer Ah Fong, who was active in the 1930s.
Most of those images were taken between August and November 1937 by two photographers, identified only as "S.S." and "S.C.S".
"Copies of the album of photos sold by Ah Fong come up for sale from time to time," Carstairs told AFP, adding that Detrez appears to have "duplicate prints of some photos".
Carstairs said that while the source of historic images is "often quite difficult to find out", it is "easy to find out who compiled albums or collected photographic prints".
Despite the mostly positive reaction in China, some social media users questioned Detrez's claims.
"The French guy and his companions... used these photos to steal traffic and engagement, thinking all Chinese are fools," one WeChat user wrote in a post.
Detrez did not respond to an AFP request for comment, but on Douyin called challenges to the authenticity of the photographs "malicious speculation".
P.Stevenson--AMWN