-
Philippines VP Sara Duterte announces 2028 presidential run
-
Asian stocks up, oil market cautious
-
Peru Congress impeaches interim president after four months in office
-
Hungry, wounded, orphaned: South Sudan's children trapped in new conflict
-
UK manufacturers struggle under sky-high energy bills
-
New tech and AI set to take athlete data business to next level
-
'Pay or he dies', families told as more Egyptians risk Mediterranean crossing
-
Indonesia coal plant closure U-turn sows energy transition doubts
-
Ukraine war talks to resume in Geneva with no sign of progress
-
Afghan woman's boutique brightens Bamiyan
-
Zuckerberg to testify in landmark social media addiction trial
-
US towns resist Trump plans to jail immigrants in warehouses
-
Ten skiers missing in California avalanche
-
Guatemalan security forces deploy to gang-plagued capital
-
US to discuss base with Mauritius as UK returns islands
-
Mexico prepares for possible drone threats during the World Cup
-
Bowlers, selectors under fire after Australia's T20 World Cup exit
-
Racism allegations overshadow Real Madrid victory as PSG win in Champions League
-
Japan's Nakai shines on ice as Frostad soars to Olympic big air gold
-
Japanese teen Nakai leads Sakamoto after Olympic women's short programme
-
Sweden to face USA in Olympic men's ice hockey quarter-finals
-
Alexander-Arnold hits out at 'disgusting' alleged Vinicius racism
-
Bird flu ravaging Antarctic wildlife, scientist warns
-
Nakai leads Sakamoto in Olympics after women's short programme
-
Guirassy guides Dortmund past Atalanta in Champions League play-offs
-
Vinicius stunner helps Real Madrid edge Benfica in play-off marred by alleged racism
-
Doue inspires PSG to comeback Champions League win in Monaco
-
'Climate cult' hurts Europe's economy, US energy secretary tells AFP
-
Peru's presidential musical chairs
-
France arrests nine over far-right activist's killing
-
France arrests seven over far-right activist's killing
-
Frostad dethrones Ruud in Olympic freeski big air thriller
-
Galatasaray thrash 10-man Juve in Champions League play-off 1st leg
-
Woods return timeline uncertain, but won't rule out Masters
-
Dozens of film figures condemn Berlin Film Festival 'silence' on Gaza
-
Iran, Ukraine talks spark diplomatic merry-go-round in Geneva
-
Canada launches huge defence plan to curb reliance on US
-
US says will match alleged Chinese low-yield nuclear tests
-
Alcaraz battles into second round of Qatar Open
-
Russians, Belarusians to compete under own flags at Paralympics: IPC tells AFP
-
Bayer proposes class settlement for weedkiller cancer claims
-
Gauff, Rybakina cruise into Dubai last 16
-
Greenland entrepreneur gambles on leafy greens
-
Father of US school shooter goes on trial on murder charges
-
Iran, US agree on 'guiding principles' for deal at Geneva talks: Iran FM
-
Warner Bros. gives Paramount one week to outbid Netflix
-
Russians, Belarusians allowed to compete under own flags at 2026 Paralympics: IPC tells AFP
-
Ukrainian wife battles blackouts to keep terminally ill husband alive
-
Pollock handed first England start for Ireland visit
-
Oil prices fall back as 'hopeful' Tehran responds to Trump
Epic Games says Fortnite back on Apple's US App Store
Epic Games on Tuesday said its hit game "Fortnite" has returned to Apple's digital App Store after being sidelined for years due to a legal battle with the iPhone maker.
"Fortnite is BACK on the App Store in the US on iPhones and iPads... and on the Epic Games Store and AltStore in the EU!" the game maker proclaimed in a post on X.
Last week, "Fortnite" became unavailable on the App Store around the world, apparently as the result of an updated version of the game being rejected by Apple.
While Fortnite with its millions of daily players had already been unavailable to iPhone users in the United States, the block on downloads of the cartoonish multiplayer shooter affected the entire globe.
Epic put out word at the time that Fornite would be offline worldwide until Apple unblocked it.
While Apple did not immediately reply to a request for comment on Tuesday, it said previously it had asked Epic in Sweden to resubmit its app update "without including the US storefront of the App Store so as not to impact Fortnite in other geographies."
"We did not take any action to remove the live version of Fortnite from alternative distribution marketplaces," an Apple spokesperson said.
North Carolina-based Epic has battled tech giants for years over the commissions they charge for software downloaded through their official stores on operating systems like Apple's iOS and Google's Android.
These are historically the way most users install apps onto their devices.
Although it has secured wins in US courts and European Union digital regulations, Epic effectively accused Apple of slow-walking the vetting process it enforces before making an app or game available for users to download.
Epic said early in May that it had submitted "Fortnite" for review for listing in the App Store in the United States.
Fans in the European Union can usually download the game through the company's own app store since the Digital Markets Act (DMA), which went into effect last year, requires Apple and other US tech giants to open up their platforms to competition.
- 'Junk fees' -
"Fortnite" is a heavyweight of the gaming world, with Epic claiming around 500 million users in 2023.
But players have grown used to upsets as the publisher has filed legal cases against both Apple and Google over what it calls "junk fees."
Apple's commissions for App Store purchases, which can range as high as 30 percent, come "at the expense of consumers and developers," the company wrote on X last week.
Epic has faced off against Apple in US courts since 2021, when "Fortnite" was banned from the App Store over what Apple said was an attempt to get around the iPhone maker's payment system.
A judge found that the App Store was anticompetitive as it forbade developers from offering alternative avenues for payment.
But the conflict has endured past the US court order and the EU's requirement that Apple and Google allow third-party app stores on their operating systems.
A US federal judge said earlier this month that Apple was failing to comply with her three-year-old order that emerged from Epic's case, which requires the iPhone maker to allow other avenues for users to buy content or services.
Epic quickly capitalized on the new court action, submitting Fortnite afresh to be vetted for inclusion in the App Store.
The App Store changes include letting app makers use alternate payment systems free or charge or commission.
Epic had cast the order as an opening of the floodgates to allow other software developers to escape Apple's fees.
Y.Kobayashi--AMWN