-
Australia Olympic TV reporter apologises after slurring words
-
USA and Canada on course to meet for Olympic men's ice hockey gold
-
Bodo/Glimt stun Inter, Gordon hits four in Newcastle Champions League romp
-
Arteta urges Arsenal to 'stand up' after title bid rocked by Wolves draw
-
McIlroy aims to eliminate 'big numbers' in pursuit of first Riviera title
-
PM Modi, top tech bosses to address India AI summit
-
Bad Bunny to star in movie about Puerto Rico
-
Arsenal blow two-goal lead in damaging Wolves draw
-
Habib Beye appointed coach of Marseille
-
Sloppy Atletico held in six-goal Brugge thriller
-
Schick steers Leverkusen past Olympiacos in Champions League
-
Hogh stars as Bodo/Glimt down Inter in Champions League
-
Oil prices jump on toughening US posture on Iran as US stocks advance
-
Gu's exchange with AFP at Winter Olympics goes viral
-
Hamilton feeling 'connected' to new Ferrari car at test sessions
-
US lingerie magnate says was 'conned' by Epstein
-
Marner fires Canada into Olympic ice hockey semis, as Finland survive
-
Israel conducting 'gradual de facto annexation' of W.Bank: UN official
-
Alcaraz, Sinner cruise into Qatar Open quarter-finals
-
Mavs confirm Irving will miss rest of NBA season
-
Environmental groups sue Trump administration over scrapped climate rule
-
Major US naval, air buildup sets stage for potential Iran war
-
White House tells Iran to do deal as Trump hints at US strikes
-
Gordon scores four as Newcastle hit Qarabag for six
-
French far-right leader accuses Macron, allies of strengthening hard-left after activist killed
-
Putin says Russia 'always' stands by Cuba, slams US sanctions
-
England's Joe Heyes says Princess Anne mistook him for Joe Marler
-
Marner sends Canada through to Olympic men's ice hockey semis
-
Seattle Seahawks put up for sale after Super Bowl win
-
U2 slam ICE, Putin in new 'Days of Ash' EP
-
Berlin Film Festival rejects accusation of censorship on Gaza
-
Sinner sees off Popyrin to reach Doha quarter-finals
-
Taylor Swift bags best-selling artist of 2025 award: industry body
-
Tiberi takes UAE Tour lead from Evenepoel
-
Paris prosecutor calls on Epstein victims in France to testify
-
India tune up for Super Eights with hard-fought win over the Dutch
-
Griffin warns Wales to beware Bath team-mate Russell in Scotland clash
-
Desperate search for nine skiers missing in California avalanche
-
Six highs and lows from the 2026 Winter Olympics alpine skiing
-
Peru set for eighth president in a decade
-
First woman envoy for Palestine dies in France: family
-
Laser-etched glass can store data for millennia, Microsoft says
-
Intense US naval, air power buildup sets stage for potential Iran war
-
Slovakia beat Germany to reach Olympic men's ice hockey semis
-
Greece to claim Nazi atrocity photos found on Ebay: minister
-
US energy chief says IEA must 'drop' focus on climate change
-
Shiffrin remembers deceased dad after Olympic slalom gold
-
Environmental groups sue Trump administration over dismantled climate rule
-
Curling's air of gentility melts amid cheating row
-
Dube lifts India to 193-6 against Dutch at T20 World Cup
Five journalists among 20 killed in Israeli strikes on Gaza hospital
Gaza's civil defence agency said five journalists were among at least 20 people killed Monday when Israeli strikes hit a hospital in the south, with Reuters, the Associated Press and Al Jazeera mourning their slain contributors.
Civil defence spokesman Mahmud Bassal said "the toll so far is 20 martyrs, including five journalists and one member of the civil defence", after strikes hit Khan Yunis's Nasser Hospital -- a large medical complex that has been targeted several times by Israel since the start of the war.
According to the media watchdogs Committee to Protect Journalists and Reporters Without Borders, around 200 journalists have been killed in nearly two years of war between Israel and Hamas.
In a statement, the Israeli military said its troops on Monday "carried out a strike in the area of Nasser Hospital in Khan Yunis".
"The Chief of the General Staff instructed to conduct an initial inquiry as soon as possible," it said, adding it "regrets any harm to uninvolved individuals and does not target journalists as such".
The civil defence's Bassal said an Israeli explosive drone targeted a building at the hospital, followed by an air strike as the wounded were being evacuated.
A spokesperson for Qatar-based TV network Al Jazeera said on Monday that one of its photojournalists and cameramen, Mohammad Salama, was killed in the attack.
"Al Jazeera Media Network condemns, in the strongest possible terms, this horrific crime committed by the Israeli occupation forces, who have directly targeted and assassinated journalists as part of a systematic campaign to silence the truth," the broadcaster said in a statement.
The Associated Press said in a statement that it was "shocked and saddened" to learn of the death of Mariam Dagga, 33, a visual journalist who had freelanced for the agency since the start of the war.
In an earlier statement, it said Dagga had not been on an assignment with the agency when she was killed.
A spokesperson for Reuters said: "We are devastated to learn of the death of Reuters contractor Hussam al-Masri and injuries to another of our contractors, Hatem Khaled, in Israeli strikes on the Nasser hospital in Gaza today."
"We are urgently seeking more information and have asked authorities in Gaza and Israel to help us get urgent medical assistance for Hatem," the spokesperson added in a statement.
The Palestinian Journalists Syndicate named two other victims as Moaz Abu Taha and Ahmad Abu Aziz.
According to AFP journalists, Abu Taha had worked with some Palestinian and international outlets.
- Smoke, bloodied bodies -
Media restrictions in Gaza and difficulties in accessing many areas mean AFP is unable to independently verify the tolls and details provided by the civil defence agency or the Israeli military.
AFP footage from the immediate aftermath of the attack showed smoke filling the air and debris from the blast on the floor outside the hospital.
Palestinians rushed to help the victims, carrying bloodied corpses and severed body parts into the medical complex. One body could be seen dangling from the top floor of the targeted building as a man screamed below.
A woman wearing medical scrubs and a white coat was among the injured, carried into the hospital on a stretcher with a heavily bandaged leg and blood all over her clothes.
Nasser Hospital is one of the last remaining health facilities in the Gaza Strip that is at least partially functioning.
Later in the day, a crowd carried the bodies of some of the slain journalists at a funeral in Khan Yunis, with the dead wrapped in white burial shrouds and their press flak jackets resting on top.
- 'Immediate explanation' -
Following the strike, the Israel-based Foreign Press Association called for an "immediate explanation" from the military and prime minister's office.
"We call on Israel once and for all to halt its abhorrent practice of targeting journalists," the group said in a statement.
Earlier this month, four Al Jazeera staff and two freelancers were killed in an Israeli air strike outside Al-Shifa hospital in Gaza City, prompting widespread condemnation.
The Israeli military alleged that Anas al-Sharif -- a prominent Al Jazeera correspondent killed in the strike -- headed a Hamas "terrorist cell" and was "responsible for advancing rocket attacks" against Israelis.
The Committee to Protect Journalists slammed that strike, saying journalists should never be targeted in war.
The war in Gaza was sparked by Hamas's October 2023 attack on Israel, which resulted in the deaths of 1,219 people, mostly civilians, according to an AFP tally based on official figures.
Israel's retaliatory offensive has killed at least 62,744 Palestinians, most of them civilians, according to figures from the health ministry in Hamas-run Gaza that the United Nations considers reliable.
J.Oliveira--AMWN