-
Trump says 'clock ticking' for Iran as peace negotiations stall
-
Hong Kong court hears closing arguments in Tiananmen activists' trial
-
World Cup duo Ghana, Cape Verde not among AFCON top seeds
-
African players in Europe: Daring Semenyo wins final for City
-
Kenya's new poaching problem: smuggling Giant Harvester Ants
-
WHO kicks off annual assembly amid hantavirus, Ebola crises
-
S. Korean blockbuster 'Hope' underscores growing film ambition
-
Train driver charged after deadly Bangkok bus collision
-
Angry Chinese table tennis fans demand apology for flag gaffe
-
India's lifeline ferry across strategic archipelago
-
Encroaching world threatens India's last 'uncontacted' tribe
-
India's strategic $9 bn megaport plan for pristine island
-
In Tierra del Fuego, a hunt for the rodent carrier of hantavirus
-
Mitchell leads Cavs past top-seeded Detroit into NBA East finals
-
China's April consumption, factory output growth slowest in years
-
Asian stocks sink, oil rises on US-Iran deadlock
-
Cleveland Cavaliers eliminate top-seeded Detroit from NBA playoffs
-
Who could be the 2026 World Cup's breakout star?
-
Humble PGA champ Rai celebrates English, Indian, Kenyan heritage
-
Hantavirus-hit cruise ship nears end of voyage, to dock in Rotterdam
-
He said, she said, AI said: Wall Street sex scandal rivets and confounds
-
UN General Assembly to take up climate change 'obligations' resolution
-
Four takeaways from Musk vs OpenAI trial
-
Jury to decide fate of Musk's blockbuster suit against OpenAI
-
Frustrated McIlroy drops F-bomb in exchange with PGA heckler
-
Defending champion Palou storms to Indy 500 pole
-
Messi shines as Inter Miami finally win at new stadium
-
Shai Gilgeous-Alexander wins second straight NBA MVP award
-
White House mass prayer event seeks to reclaim US Christian roots
-
International dive group joins Maldives search for missing Italians
-
'Staggering' Iran toll drives up global executions: Amnesty
-
Agronomics Limited Announces Net Asset Value Calculation as at 31 March 2026
-
Santa Barbara Schools Sexual Assault Complaint by Veen Firm
-
InterContinental Hotels Group PLC Announces Transaction in Own Shares - May 18
-
Rai wins first major at PGA with back-nine birdie blitz
-
Woad bags second LPGA title at Queen City Championship
-
Lebanon says Israeli strikes kill 7 as Hezbollah condemns talks
-
Revived La Rochelle trounce Top 14 leaders Toulouse
-
PSG beaten by Paris FC in Ligue 1 as Lille qualify for Champions League
-
Griezmann apologetic on emotional Atletico Madrid farewell
-
Raging Neymar forced off by refereeing error as Santos lose
-
Sinner extends Masters tournament streak on home turf, eyes French Open
-
Canadian cruise passenger confirmed positive for hantavirus
-
England see off gutsy France to clinch another Women's Six Nations
-
Sevilla safe despite Real Madrid defeat, Mallorca on brink
-
UK police detail arrests after far-right rally and counter demo
-
Smalley tees off with PGA lead and stars in hot pursuit
-
Trump issues dire warning to Iran to accept peace deal
-
West Ham on brink of Premier League relegation, Man Utd seal third
-
Bulgaria's Eurovision winner flies home to rapturous welcome
UK's former PM Johnson accepts MPs misled over 'partygate'
Britain's former prime minister Boris Johnson admitted on Tuesday that he misled parliament by telling MPs that parties at his Downing Street office did not break Covid lockdown rules.
But in evidence submitted to a powerful parliamentary committee probing his statements, he insisted that he acted in good faith.
Johnson, who was fined by police for breaking the rules he set the public, has previously apologised and corrected the parliamentary record after insisting that the gatherings were above board.
But he is due on Wednesday to go before the cross-party privileges committee of MPs probing the statements to determine whether he was in contempt of parliament.
"I accept that the House of Commons was misled by my statements that the rules and guidance had been followed completely at No. 10 (Downing Street)," said Johnson.
"But when the statements were made, they were made in good faith and on the basis of what I honestly knew and believed at the time.
"I did not intentionally or recklessly mislead the House on 1 December 2021, 8 December 2021, or on any other date.
"I would never have dreamed of doing so."
Johnson's 52-page submission is a defence of his position on the scandal, which contributed to his downfall last July in a ministerial rebellion.
It could determine his political future, despite talk that he is mulling a potential bid to return to high office.
- Sanction -
If the privileges committee rule Johnson was in contempt, MPs will get a vote on what sanction he could face, including suspension.
Any suspension over 10 sitting days could trigger a by-election in his Uxbridge and South Ruislip seat, where he would have to defend a slim majority of just 7,210.
Johnson, his wife Carrie, and Rishi Sunak, who was finance minister at the time and is now prime minister, received police fines for breaking Covid regulations, alongside dozens of staff.
Months of revelations about boozy office gatherings while the public kept strict social distancing -- dubbed "partygate" -- provoked public fury, particularly among relatives of Covid victims.
In his submission, the former premier repeated his apologies and that he accepted that what he told parliament "did not turn out to be correct".
There was "no evidence at all that supports an allegation that I intentionally or recklessly misled the House", he added.
"There is not a single document that indicates that I received any warning or advice that any event broke or may have broken the rules or guidance.
"In fact, the evidence before the committee demonstrates that those working at No. 10 at the time shared my honest belief that the rules and guidance were being followed."
M.Fischer--AMWN