-
US freestyle skier Ferreira wins Olympic halfpipe gold
-
Svitolina edges Gauff to set up Pegula final in Dubai
-
'Proud' Alcaraz digs deep to topple Rublev and reach Qatar final
-
UK govt considers removing ex-prince Andrew from line of succession
-
New study probes why chronic pain lasts longer in women
-
Trump vows 10% global tariff after stinging court rebuke
-
Aston Martin in disarray as Leclerc tops F1 testing timesheets
-
Venus Williams accepts Indian Wells wild card
-
Anxious Venezuelans seek clarity on new amnesty law
-
Last-gasp Canada edge Finland to reach Olympic men's ice hockey final
-
Scotland captain Tuipulotu grateful for Wales boss Tandy's influence
-
Zelensky says no 'family day' in rare personal interview to AFP
-
Zelensky tells AFP that Ukraine is not losing the war
-
Sweden to play Switzerland in Olympic women's curling final
-
Counting the cost: Minnesota reels after anti-migrant 'occupation'
-
UK police probe Andrew's protection as royals reel from ex-prince's arrest
-
Doris says Ireland must pile pressure on England rising star Pollock
-
US military assets in the Middle East
-
Neymar hints at possible retirement after World Cup
-
Stocks rise after court ruling against US tariffs
-
Australia end dismal T20 World Cup by thrashing Oman
-
Olympics chief says Milan-Cortina has set new path for Games
-
Russian SVR spy agency took over Wagner 'influence' ops in Africa: report
-
Pegula fights back to sink Anisimova and reach Dubai final
-
Trump administration denounces 'terrorism' in France after activist's killing
-
Colombia's Medellin builds mega-prison inspired by El Salvador's CECOT
-
German broadcaster recalls correspondent over AI-generated images
-
US Supreme Court strikes down swath of Trump global tariffs
-
England's Itoje says managing 'emotional turmoil' key to 100 cap landmark
-
Trump says weighing strike on Iran as Tehran says draft deal coming soon
-
Tudor is '100 percent' certain of saving Spurs from relegation
-
Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson
-
Stocks volatile after soft US growth data, court ruling against tariffs
-
Italy bring back Capuozzo for France Six Nations trip
-
From Malinin's collapse to Liu's triumph: Top Olympic figure skating moments
-
Arteta urges Arsenal to 'write own destiny' after title wobble
-
Ukraine Paralympics team to boycott opening ceremony over Russian flag decision
-
Wales captain Lake wants fans to bring 'noise' against Scotland
-
Skier Vonn's Italian hospital a hotbed of men, sister says
-
India target S.Africa top order, Abhishek to come good: bowling coach
-
Carrick praises Man Utd 'diversity' after Ratcliffe's immigrant rant
-
I never thought it would be hit, says 'Scream' creator 30 years later
-
AI summit statement delayed to 'maximise' signatories: India
-
Barcelona's Sagrada Familia basilica hits peak height
-
Milan sprints to second straight UAE stage win as Tiberi keeps lead
-
US GDP growth misses expectations as Trump blames shutdown
-
Benfica investigate video of fans' monkey gestures
-
French minister pledges tight security at rally for killed activist
-
Guardiola 'couldn't care less' about Arsenal stumble in title race
-
UK police search property as royals reel from Andrew's arrest
Protest was safe, Grand Prix climate activist tells court
A climate activist who invaded the track at last year's British Grand Prix told a court on Wednesday that the protest was safe due to its meticulous planning.
Louis McKechnie, 22, and five other Just Stop Oil activists are on trial accused of posing a risk of serious harm to F1 drivers and marshals after they invaded the Silverstone track in central England last July.
But he told Northampton Crown Court that the group had carefully planned the stunt so that they would enter a section of track with clear sightlines, at a time when cars were moving slowly due to a crash.
McKechnie, 22, denies a charge of causing a public nuisance by sitting on Silverstone's Wellington Straight before he was dragged away by a marshal.
"It started off as Zoom calls and group texts and sometimes in-person meetings," he told the court of the planning phase.
He read the Formula 1 rulebook and watched "every single race that's been held at Silverstone over the last 20 years".
"I scoured the internet for every piece of information I could get about the track, the red flag system and also the drivers.
"We picked a part of the track which would give the cars plenty of time to pass where we were, before we went on."
McKechnie waited until there was an obstruction on the track, and until a red flag was subsequently waved to tell the drivers to stop racing.
"I knew I was safe and secure where I was on the track. I understood that where I was would be perfectly fine."
McKechnie said the group was demanding a "just transition to renewable energy".
Since the Just Stop Oil campaign began nearly a year ago, there have been more than 2,000 arrests and 138 activists have spent time in prison, according to the group.
On Tuesday, two Just Stop Oil protesters were ordered by a London court to pay compensation to the Madame Tussauds waxwork museum, after attacking an effigy of King Charles III with vegan chocolate cakes.
G.Stevens--AMWN