-
Kane hat-trick seals double as Bayern claim 21st German Cup
-
Tens of thousands rally in Serbia demanding elections
-
NASCAR driver Busch died of sepsis after pneumonia: family
-
Enhanced Games athletes under scrutiny as health fears swirl
-
Emotional Hull celebrate 'incredible' promotion to Premier League
-
Shreyas Iyer scores maiden IPL century as Punjab beat Lucknow
-
Pajor, Paralluelo star as Barcelona thrash Lyon to win Women's Champions League
-
Tens of thousands rally in Serbian capital demanding elections
-
Bru challenges Bordeaux-Begles to show 'true selves' in Top 14 after Champions Cup defence
-
Russell resists Antonelli in Canadian GP F1 sprint race
-
Defending Champions Cup title 'special' for Bordeaux's Tameifuna
-
Hull promoted to Premier League after McBurnie strikes late in play-off final
-
Buse outlasts Paul for Hamburg title to end Peruvian drought
-
Thousands gather in Serbian capital to call for elections
-
Vingegaard takes Giro lead after storming to victory in 14th stage
-
American Tien warms up for Roland Garros with Geneva Open win
-
Fils pulls out of home Grand Slam with painful injury
-
Bielle-Biarrey, Lucu inspire Bordeaux-Begles past Leinster to Champions Cup defence
-
French court hands man 25-year term for torture, rape of ex-partner
-
China authorities report 82 dead in coal mine blast, serious violations
-
Navarro downs Mboko to win Strasbourg clay title
-
Vingegaard takes Giro lead after storrming to victory in 14th stage
-
Russian war drama among favourites for top Cannes film prize
-
England's Bethell leaves IPL after finger injury
-
Ukrainian strike on college in Russian-occupied town kills 18: officials
-
Five first-round matches to watch at French Open
-
Iran and US say could be close to talks breakthrough
-
France bans Israeli security minister Ben Gvir from country
-
Roland Garros organisers, players have 'positive' meeting over dispute
-
Dos Santos at the double, Jackson and Russell shine in Xiamen
-
Man Utd's Fernandes named Premier League Player of the Season
-
Iran chief negotiator vows 'crushing' response if US returns to war
-
EU automated border system suspended at Dover amid bank holiday chaos
-
F1 legend Alain Prost's Swiss home robbed: reports
-
De Zerbi demands 'blood and spirit' from Spurs on survival Sunday
-
Guardiola reveals Hart snub was biggest Man City regret
-
Roland Garros organisers, players have 'encouraging' meeting over dispute
-
French mother of boys abandoned in Portugal remanded in custody
-
Uganda confirms new Ebola cases, linked to DR Congo
-
Pope condemns environmental harm in Italy's 'Land of Fires'
-
Auckland FC become first New Zealand team to win A-League title
-
Russian war drama among favourites for top Cannes prize
-
North Korean women crowned Asian club champions in South
-
China coal mine blast kills at least 90, more missing
-
Full steam ahead for Milei's Andean mining revolution
-
Iran weighs peace proposal, accuses US of 'excessive demands'
-
Rubio in India to renew ties after Trump's China lovefest
-
Pope visits Italy's 'Land of Fires'
-
China set for latest space launch, with Hong Kong astronaut aboard
-
Police, protesters clash in new marches against Bolivian leader
S.Africa says 'suspicious' flights from Israel show 'agenda to cleanse Palestinians'
South Africa said Monday the surprise arrival of 153 Palestinians on a plane last week indicated "a clear agenda to cleanse Palestinians" out of the Gaza Strip and the West Bank.
The group landed in Johannesburg on a chartered flight on Thursday without departure stamps from Israel in their passports.
Reports said a shadowy organisation named Al-Majd was involved in their travel from Gaza.
"We are suspicious, as the South African government, about the circumstances surrounding the arrival of the plane," Foreign Minister Ronald Lamola told reporters.
South African border police kept the group on the plane for 12 hours before President Cyril Ramaphosa allowed them entry on a standard 90-day visa exemption.
It emerged later that a first plane carrying 176 Palestinians had arrived on October 28, according to the local Gift of the Givers charity that is assisting the arrivals.
"We do not want any further flights to come our way because this is a clear agenda to cleanse out Palestinians out of Gaza and the West Bank and those areas, which South Africa is against," Lamola said.
"It does look like it represents a broader agenda to remove Palestinians from Palestine into many different parts of the world, and is a clearly orchestrated operation," he said, without providing further details.
- Palestinians 'misled' -
South Africa, which is set to host world leaders at the G20 summit this weekend, is seen as one of the strongest supporters of the Palestinian cause.
Pretoria filed a case against Israel with the International Court of Justice in 2023, accusing it of genocide in Gaza.
The Gift of the Givers NGO told AFP the Palestinians it is assisting said they had paid around $2,000 per person to Al-Majd for the trip.
"What we've been told is that they were promised some type of travel out of Gaza to some form of safety in a country that would welcome them," representative Sarah Oosthuizen told AFP.
Some of the passengers appeared to have been misled about their final destination, with a few believing they were headed to Indonesia, Malaysia or India, she said.
Travellers in the first group -- which included men, women and children -- "definitely did not know that they were coming to South Africa", Oosthuizen said.
They flew from Israel's Ramon airport to Nairobi before boarding the chartered plane to Johannesburg, she said.
The accommodation promised on arrival turned out to have been booked for only up to a week and, "when they were settled in these accommodations, their contact with Al-Majd went silent," Oosthuizen said.
Some of the group had told the NGO that they wished to apply for asylum, she said.
- 'Investigating' -
The Palestinian embassy in South Africa said Thursday the travel of both groups "was arranged by an unregistered and misleading organisation that exploited the tragic humanitarian conditions of our people in Gaza".
The group had "deceived families, collected money from them, and facilitated their travel in an irregular and irresponsible manner", it said.
According to an activist from the pro-Palestinian Social Intifada civil society group in Johannesburg, the Palestinians said Al-Majd had advertised "evacuation and relocation" to people in Gaza on social media.
They were told to pay money into an account and to expect a day's notice before departure," Khalid Vawda told AFP.
"Once they met at the departure point, they were taken through the Kerem Shalom crossing, where whatever belongings they had, they had to leave behind. They were only allowed to take their mobile phones, the clothing they were wearing, and whatever cash they had on them," he said.
When AFP in Jerusalem tried to contact Al-Majd, none of the numbers listed on their website were in service. Their linked address only led to the East Jerusalem neighbourhood of Sheikh Jarrah.
Israeli authorities told AFP at the weekend that the 153 Palestinians had been allowed to leave Gaza after receiving "approval from a third country to receive them", without naming the country in question.
Lamola on Monday said Pretoria was investigating.
D.Kaufman--AMWN