-
Kane hat-trick seals double as Bayern claim 21st German Cup
-
Tens of thousands rally in Serbia demanding elections
-
NASCAR driver Busch died of sepsis after pneumonia: family
-
Enhanced Games athletes under scrutiny as health fears swirl
-
Emotional Hull celebrate 'incredible' promotion to Premier League
-
Shreyas Iyer scores maiden IPL century as Punjab beat Lucknow
-
Pajor, Paralluelo star as Barcelona thrash Lyon to win Women's Champions League
-
Tens of thousands rally in Serbian capital demanding elections
-
Bru challenges Bordeaux-Begles to show 'true selves' in Top 14 after Champions Cup defence
-
Russell resists Antonelli in Canadian GP F1 sprint race
-
Defending Champions Cup title 'special' for Bordeaux's Tameifuna
-
Hull promoted to Premier League after McBurnie strikes late in play-off final
-
Buse outlasts Paul for Hamburg title to end Peruvian drought
-
Thousands gather in Serbian capital to call for elections
-
Vingegaard takes Giro lead after storming to victory in 14th stage
-
American Tien warms up for Roland Garros with Geneva Open win
-
Fils pulls out of home Grand Slam with painful injury
-
Bielle-Biarrey, Lucu inspire Bordeaux-Begles past Leinster to Champions Cup defence
-
French court hands man 25-year term for torture, rape of ex-partner
-
China authorities report 82 dead in coal mine blast, serious violations
-
Navarro downs Mboko to win Strasbourg clay title
-
Vingegaard takes Giro lead after storrming to victory in 14th stage
-
Russian war drama among favourites for top Cannes film prize
-
England's Bethell leaves IPL after finger injury
-
Ukrainian strike on college in Russian-occupied town kills 18: officials
-
Five first-round matches to watch at French Open
-
Iran and US say could be close to talks breakthrough
-
France bans Israeli security minister Ben Gvir from country
-
Roland Garros organisers, players have 'positive' meeting over dispute
-
Dos Santos at the double, Jackson and Russell shine in Xiamen
-
Man Utd's Fernandes named Premier League Player of the Season
-
Iran chief negotiator vows 'crushing' response if US returns to war
-
EU automated border system suspended at Dover amid bank holiday chaos
-
F1 legend Alain Prost's Swiss home robbed: reports
-
De Zerbi demands 'blood and spirit' from Spurs on survival Sunday
-
Guardiola reveals Hart snub was biggest Man City regret
-
Roland Garros organisers, players have 'encouraging' meeting over dispute
-
French mother of boys abandoned in Portugal remanded in custody
-
Uganda confirms new Ebola cases, linked to DR Congo
-
Pope condemns environmental harm in Italy's 'Land of Fires'
-
Auckland FC become first New Zealand team to win A-League title
-
Russian war drama among favourites for top Cannes prize
-
North Korean women crowned Asian club champions in South
-
China coal mine blast kills at least 90, more missing
-
Full steam ahead for Milei's Andean mining revolution
-
Iran weighs peace proposal, accuses US of 'excessive demands'
-
Rubio in India to renew ties after Trump's China lovefest
-
Pope visits Italy's 'Land of Fires'
-
China set for latest space launch, with Hong Kong astronaut aboard
-
Police, protesters clash in new marches against Bolivian leader
North Korea says Seoul-US sub deal will trigger 'nuclear domino' effect
North Korea denounced an agreement between Seoul and Washington to build nuclear-powered submarines, saying in a state media commentary on Tuesday that the deal would cause a "nuclear domino" effect.
South Korean President Lee Jae Myung announced the finalisation of a long-awaited security and trade agreement with the United States last week, including plans to move forward with developing atomic-powered vessels.
Seoul said it had secured "support for expanding our authority over uranium enrichment and spent-fuel reprocessing".
In its first comments responding to the deal, the nuclear-armed North fired back that the submarine programme was a "dangerous attempt at confrontation".
The agreement is a "serious development that destabilises the military security situation in the Asia-Pacific region beyond the Korean peninsula and causes the situation of impossible nuclear control in the global sphere," said the commentary carried by the official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) on Tuesday.
South Korea's possession of nuclear submarines "is bound to cause a 'nuclear domino phenomenon' in the region and spark a hot arms race", Pyongyang added. It also said "the DPRK (North Korea) will take more justified and realistic countermeasures," due to the two countries' "confrontational intention".
North Korean state media said in October that it had fired the ninth and final test of a ballistic engine, indicating that a full launch of a new ICBM could be conducted in coming months.
The commentary comes just a day after Seoul proposed military talks with Pyongyang to prevent border clashes, the first such offer in seven years.
President Lee has also offered to hold broader discussions with the North without preconditions, a sharp reversal from the hawkish stance taken by his conservative predecessor.
The comments show concerns from North Korea that if South Korea acquires nuclear-powered submarines, "it could become a stepping stone to the country achieving a semi-nuclear-weapon-state status," Yang Moo- jin, a professor at the University of North Korean Studies in Seoul, told AFP.
"The move is likely to negatively affect the prospects for holding inter-Korean military talks," added Yang.
North Korea has yet to respond to Lee's overtures.
Beijing also voiced caution over the Washington-Seoul deal on nuclear submarine technology on Thursday.
The partnership "goes beyond a purely commercial partnership, directly touching on the global non-proliferation regime and the stability of the Korean Peninsula and the wider region", Dai Bing, China's ambassador to Seoul, told reporters last week.
P.Mathewson--AMWN