-
Navarro downs Mboko to win Strasbourg clay title
-
Vingegaard takes Giro lead after storrming to victory in 14th stage
-
Russian war drama among favourites for top Cannes film prize
-
England's Bethell leaves IPL after finger injury
-
Ukrainian strike on college in Russian-occupied town kills 18: officials
-
Five first-round matches to watch at French Open
-
Iran and US say could be close to talks breakthrough
-
France bans Israeli security minister Ben Gvir from country
-
Roland Garros organisers, players have 'positive' meeting over dispute
-
Dos Santos at the double, Jackson and Russell shine in Xiamen
-
Man Utd's Fernandes named Premier League Player of the Season
-
Iran chief negotiator vows 'crushing' response if US returns to war
-
EU automated border system suspended at Dover amid bank holiday chaos
-
F1 legend Alain Prost's Swiss home robbed: reports
-
De Zerbi demands 'blood and spirit' from Spurs on survival Sunday
-
Guardiola reveals Hart snub was biggest Man City regret
-
Roland Garros organisers, players have 'encouraging' meeting over dispute
-
French mother of boys abandoned in Portugal remanded in custody
-
Uganda confirms new Ebola cases, linked to DR Congo
-
Pope condemns environmental harm in Italy's 'Land of Fires'
-
Auckland FC become first New Zealand team to win A-League title
-
Russian war drama among favourites for top Cannes prize
-
North Korean women crowned Asian club champions in South
-
China coal mine blast kills at least 90, more missing
-
Full steam ahead for Milei's Andean mining revolution
-
Iran weighs peace proposal, accuses US of 'excessive demands'
-
Rubio in India to renew ties after Trump's China lovefest
-
Pope visits Italy's 'Land of Fires'
-
China set for latest space launch, with Hong Kong astronaut aboard
-
Police, protesters clash in new marches against Bolivian leader
-
US jury finds Boeing not guilty in 737 MAX grounding lawsuit
-
'Humans want to optimize': Enhanced Games founder embraces doping row
-
Rubio starts first visit to India on heels of US-China summit
-
The Asian workers keeping Greenland in business
-
'Never going back': Cartel attack decimates Mexican Indigenous town
-
Cannes highlights as film festival wraps up
-
The movies vying for the Cannes Film Festival's top prize
-
Russian war drama among favourites for Cannes top prize
-
Banned ex-100m champ Kerley to compete clean at Enhanced Games
-
Waratahs 'on right track' despite crushing Brumbies loss
-
Senegal's president sacks PM after months of tensions
-
SpaceX's enormous Starship splashes down after test flight
-
MYTRT Announces UK Digital Healthcare Platform for Testosterone Testing and Doctor-Led Hormonal Health Services
-
LinkShadow is Positioned in the Visionaries Quadrant in the 2026 Gartner(R) Magic Quadrant(TM) for Network Detection and Response (NDR)
-
US mulls new strikes on Iran: US media reports
-
South Korean Kim flirts with 59, shoots 60 to lead CJ Cup Byron Nelson
-
SpaceX sends Starship rocket sailing into space
-
NASCAR boss pays tribute to 'badass' Kyle Busch
-
Russell bounces back to beat Antonelli in sprint qualifying
-
Lens beat Nice to win French Cup for first time
US says 'very optimistic' on Ukraine plan as Geneva talks end
US Secretary of State Marco Rubio boasted "tremendous" progress after a day of meetings with Ukrainian and European officials in Geneva on a proposal to halt the Ukraine war, but numerous uncertainties remain.
The head of Ukraine's delegation Andriy Yermak also told reporters earlier that the sides had made "very good progress", and were "moving forward to the just and lasting peace Ukrainian people deserve".
US President Donald Trump had given Ukraine until November 27 to approve his controversial plan to end the nearly four-year conflict that erupted after Russia launched its full-scale invasion.
But Kyiv is seeking changes to a draft that accepts a range of Russia's hardline demands, with the 28-point plan requiring the invaded country to cede territory, cut its army and pledge never to join NATO.
Rubio, whose delegation included Trump's son-in-law Jared Kushner and diplomatic envoy Steve Witkoff, told reporters that the work to narrow the areas of disagreement had advanced "in a very substantial way".
"I can tell you that the items that remain open are not insurmountable," he said, adding "I honestly believe we'll get there."
Rubio stressed that any final agreement would "have to be agreed upon by the presidents, and there are a couple issues that we need to continue to work on" before trying to bring onboard the Kremlin, which welcomed the original proposal.
"Obviously, the Russians get a vote."
- 'Zero gratitude' claim -
His comments came after Trump earlier lashed out at Ukraine as the talks in Geneva were underway.
"UKRAINE 'LEADERSHIP' HAS EXPRESSED ZERO GRATITUDE FOR OUR EFFORTS," Trump wrote on his Truth Social platform, also accusing European countries of not doing enough to stop the war, but offering no direct condemnation of Moscow.
Not long after, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky said on X that his country was "grateful to the United States... and personally to President Trump" for the assistance that has been "saving Ukrainian lives".
The Ukrainian delegation meanwhile referred to a new version of the US draft plan, which has yet to be published, saying it "already reflects most of Ukraine's key priorities".
At the end of the day, Rubio said he thought Trump was "quite pleased at the reports we've given him about the amount of progress that's been made".
Asked about whether he believed a deal could be reached by Thursday, as demanded by the US president, he said "the deadline is we want to get this done as soon as possible".
"I think we made a tremendous amount of progress. I feel very optimistic that we're going to get there in a very reasonable period of time, very soon."
The US delegation in Geneva also included US Army Secretary Daniel Driscoll and also, surprisingly, Alexus Grynkewich, the NATO Supreme Allied Commander Europe.
Grynkewich did not attend in his NATO capacity but as a senior US military representative, according to a senior NATO official who did not wish to be named.
- European 'centrality' -
Rubio said that his delegation had met Sunday with "national security advisors from various European countries".
Ukraine's delegation also met with high-level officials from Britain, France and Germany.
The US plan was drafted without input from Ukraine's European allies, who were scrambling Sunday to make their voices heard and boost Kyiv's position.
"Ukraine must have the freedom and sovereign right to choose its own destiny. They have chosen a European destiny," EU chief Ursula von der Leyen said in a statement, stressing that the "centrality" of the European Union's role must be "fully reflected" in any peace plan.
"The task now is to make the 28-point plan presented by the American government a viable document," German Chancellor Friedrich Merz meanwhile said at the G20 summit in Johannesburg, adding that he had made a proposal being discussed in Geneva in that direction.
European Union countries were planning to meet to discuss the Ukraine situation on the sidelines of a meeting with African leaders in Angola on Monday.
And French President Emmanuel Macron, who spoke on the phone with Zelensky Sunday, said the 30 countries in the "coalition of the willing" supporting Kyiv would hold a video call on Tuesday.
A number of leaders also called Trump Sunday, with Downing Street saying UK Prime Minister Keir Starmer and the US president had agreed "that we all must work together at this critical moment to bring about a just and lasting peace".
Finnish President Alexander Stubb told AFP that he and Italian leader Giorgia Meloni also called Trump Sunday to discuss his Ukraine proposal.
Meloni later told reporters at the G20 that while there were points in the US plan "that certainly need to be discussed", there was no need for a "complete counterproposal".
P.Santos--AMWN