-
EU automated border system suspended at Dover amid bank holiday chaos
-
F1 legend Alain Prost's Swiss home robbed: reports
-
De Zerbi demands 'blood and spirit' from Spurs on survival Sunday
-
Guardiola reveals Hart snub was biggest Man City regret
-
Roland Garros organisers, players have 'encouraging' meeting over dispute
-
French mother of boys abandoned in Portugal remanded in custody
-
Uganda confirms new Ebola cases, linked to DR Congo
-
Pope condemns environmental harm in Italy's 'Land of Fires'
-
Auckland FC become first New Zealand team to win A-League title
-
Russian war drama among favourites for top Cannes prize
-
North Korean women crowned Asian club champions in South
-
China coal mine blast kills at least 90, more missing
-
Full steam ahead for Milei's Andean mining revolution
-
Iran weighs peace proposal, accuses US of 'excessive demands'
-
Rubio in India to renew ties after Trump's China lovefest
-
Pope visits Italy's 'Land of Fires'
-
China set for latest space launch, with Hong Kong astronaut aboard
-
Police, protesters clash in new marches against Bolivian leader
-
US jury finds Boeing not guilty in 737 MAX grounding lawsuit
-
'Humans want to optimize': Enhanced Games founder embraces doping row
-
Rubio starts first visit to India on heels of US-China summit
-
The Asian workers keeping Greenland in business
-
'Never going back': Cartel attack decimates Mexican Indigenous town
-
Cannes highlights as film festival wraps up
-
The movies vying for the Cannes Film Festival's top prize
-
Russian war drama among favourites for Cannes top prize
-
Banned ex-100m champ Kerley to compete clean at Enhanced Games
-
Waratahs 'on right track' despite crushing Brumbies loss
-
Senegal's president sacks PM after months of tensions
-
SpaceX's enormous Starship splashes down after test flight
-
US mulls new strikes on Iran: US media reports
-
South Korean Kim flirts with 59, shoots 60 to lead CJ Cup Byron Nelson
-
SpaceX sends Starship rocket sailing into space
-
NASCAR boss pays tribute to 'badass' Kyle Busch
-
Russell bounces back to beat Antonelli in sprint qualifying
-
Lens beat Nice to win French Cup for first time
-
Mexico, EU lower tariffs in bid to grow non-US trade
-
Vunipola guides Montpellier past Ulster to Challenge Cup triumph
-
Fresh confrontation between police, protesters in Bolivia
-
Kevin Warsh: New Fed chair who vows not to be Trump's puppet
-
US Fed chair says will be 'reform-oriented' at glitzy White House swearing-in
-
French Gaza activists arrive home after Israel expulsion
-
Ace, eagle lift Im to early CJ Cup Byron Nelson lead
-
From agave syrup to raw materials: EU, Mexico agree trade expansion
-
Antonelli romps opening practice ahead of Russell
-
Who killed Trump's AI order? Musk says it wasn't him
-
Pakistan military chief arrives in Tehran in push to end Iran war
-
Klaasen helps Hyderabad past Bangalore
-
US intelligence chief Tulsi Gabbard resigns
-
Gauff at ease in Paris as she prepares to defend French Open title
G.Bissau rocked by coup d'etat, president's arrest
Military officials in Guinea-Bissau declared taking "total control" of the coup-prone west African country Wednesday, arresting its president, closing its borders and suspending its electoral process three days after general elections.
The officers' announcement followed heavy gunfire that rang out near the presidential palace earlier in the day, with men in military uniform taking over the main road leading to the building.
In the early afternoon, General Denis N'Canha, head of the presidential military office, told members of the press that a command "composed of all branches of the armed forces, was taking over the leadership of the country until further notice".
He read the announcement seated at a table and surrounded by armed soldiers.
Incumbent president Umaro Sissoco Embalo, who had been favoured to win last Sunday's election, was arrested and being held at general-staff headquarters where he is being "well-treated", a military source told AFP.
A senior officer who also confirmed the arrest added that Embalo had been detained along "with the chief of staff and the minister of the interior".
Opposition leader Domingos Simoes Pereira, who was barred from last weekend's presidential election by the Supreme Court, was additionally arrested Wednesday, according to two sources close to the politician.
Unable to run, Pereira cast his support behind opposition candidate Fernando Dias. He and Embalo had both already declared victory in the presidential race, with official provisional results expected Thursday.
Tumultuous Guinea-Bissau has experienced four coups since independence, as well as multiple attempted coups.
Political stability was one of the major issues in the election, given the nation's turbulent past. In October the country's army said it thwarted an "attempt to subvert the constitutional order" and arrested several senior military officers.
- Curfew and closed borders -
N'Canha, in his declaration Wednesday, claimed a plan had been uncovered to destabilise Guinea-Bissau "involving national drug lords" that had included "the introduction of weapons into the country to alter the constitutional order".
In addition to halting "the entire electoral process", he said military forces had suspended "all media programming", closed "land, air, and sea" borders, and imposed a mandatory curfew.
By the end of the day, the streets of Bissau were deserted, and the military had taken control of all the main thoroughfares, AFP journalists observed.
Guinea-Bissau is among the world's poorest countries and is also a hub for drug trafficking between Latin America and Europe, a trade facilitated by the country's long history of political instability.
The country's National Electoral Commission (CNE) was additionally attacked by unidentified armed men on Wednesday, commission communications official Abdourahmane Djalo told AFP.
UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres was "following the situation with deep concern", his spokesman said, and urged all stakeholders to "exercise restraint and respect the rule of law".
The country's former colonial ruler Portugal additionally called for the resumption of the electoral process, discouraging "any act of institutional or civic violence".
- Repeat crises -
More than 6,780 security forces, including from the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) Stabilisation Force, were deployed for Guinea-Bissau's vote and the post-election period.
The country's last presidential vote in 2019 was marked by a four-month post-election crisis as both main candidates claimed victory.
The country's 2025 election notably excluded PAIGC and Pereira, who were struck from the final list of candidates and parties by the Supreme Court, which said they had filed their official applications too late.
In 2023, Embalo dissolved the legislature -- which was dominated by the opposition -- and has since ruled by decree.
The opposition says PAIGC's exclusion from the presidential and parliamentary elections amounts to "manipulation" and maintains that Embalo's term expired on February 27, five years to the day after his inauguration.
The west African region has been rife with coups in recent years, with Mali, Burkina Faso, Niger and Guinea all having had their governments toppled.
D.Moore--AMWN