-
Pau beat La Rochelle as Hastoy sent off after 34 seconds
-
Real Madrid drop points at Girona in third straight Liga draw
-
Napoli beat rivals Roma to join Milan at Serie A summit
-
Shiffrin bags 104th World Cup win with Copper Mountain slalom victory
-
Disney's 'Zootopia 2' rules Thanksgiving at N. American box office
-
Arteta takes heart from Arsenal escape in Chelsea battle
-
Duplantis and McLaughlin-Levrone crowned 'Athletes of the Year'
-
Rubio says 'more work' required after US-Ukraine talks in Florida
-
McLaren boss admits team made strategy blunder
-
West Ham's red-carded Paqueta slams FA for lack of support
-
Ramaphosa labels US attacks on S.Africa 'misinformation'
-
Relaxed Verstappen set for another title showdown
-
Van Graan compares Bath match-winner Arundell to Springbok great Habana
-
Arsenal held by 10-man Chelsea, Isak end drought to fire Liverpool
-
Slot hails 'important' Isak goal as Liverpool beat West Ham
-
Merino strikes to give Arsenal bruising draw at 10-man Chelsea
-
Thauvin double sends Lens top of Ligue 1 for 1st time in 21 years
-
Pope urges Lebanese to embrace reconciliation, stay in crisis-hit country
-
Arundell stars as Bath top Prem table with comeback win over Saracens
-
Villarreal edge Real Sociedad, Betis win fiery derby
-
Israel's Netanyahu seeks pardon in corruption cases
-
Verstappen wins Qatar GP to set up final race title showdown
-
Afghan suspect in Washington shooting likely radicalized in US: security official
-
Pastor, bride among 26 kidnapped as Nigeria reels from raids
-
Trump officials host crucial Ukraine talks in Florida
-
OPEC+ reaffirms planned pause on oil output hikes until March
-
Kohli stars as India beat South Africa in first ODI
-
Long-lost Rubens 'masterpiece' sells for almost 3 mn euros
-
Set-piece theft pays off for Man Utd: Amorim
-
Isak scores first Premier League goal for Liverpool to sink West Ham
-
Death toll from Sri Lanka floods, landslides rises to 334: disaster agency
-
Martinez double at Pisa keeps Inter on heels of Serie A leaders AC Milan
-
Swiss reject compulsory civic duty, climate tax for super-rich
-
Moleiro snatches Villarreal late winner at Real Sociedad
-
Pope arrives in Lebanon with message of peace for crisis-hit country
-
Celtic close on Scottish leaders Hearts after beating Hibs
-
Swiss right-to-die group says founder dies by assisted suicide
-
Zirkzee ends goal drought to inspire Man Utd victory at Palace
-
Trump threats dominate as Hondurans vote for president
-
Hong Kong in mourning as fire death toll climbs to 146
-
West Ham legend Bonds dies aged 79
-
Swiss reject compulsory civic duty, climate tax for super-rich: projections
-
Kohli's 135 powers India to 349-8 in first South Africa ODI
-
Indonesia, Thailand race to find missing as flooding toll tops 600
-
After call for Christian unity, pope leaves Turkey for Lebanon
-
Floods hit Sri Lanka's capital as cyclone deaths top 200
-
Netanyahu submits pardon request in Israel corruption cases
-
Corbyn's new left-wing party opts for collective leadership
-
Indonesia, Thailand race to find missing as flooding toll rises to 480
-
In Istanbul, pope meets bereaved family, prays with Armenians
Israeli forces kill 13 in southern Syria operation
Israeli forces killed 13 people on Friday in an operation in southern Syria, the deadliest since Bashar al-Assad's fall from power nearly a year ago, which they said was targeting an Islamist group.
Since an Islamist coalition overthrew longtime ruler Assad in December of last year, Israel has conducted hundreds of strikes as well as incursions into Syria.
The Israeli army said an exchange of fire in the operation to detain militants in the Syrian village of Beit Jin left six Israeli soldiers wounded, with three of them in a serious condition.
The Syrian foreign ministry condemned the operation as a "war crime" and accused Israel of wanting to "ignite the region".
The death toll rose to 13 later on Friday morning, according to the director of health for Damascus province Toufic Hassaba, cited by state news agency SANA, after state television said earlier that 10 were killed.
State television said women and children were among the dead, with some residents still trapped under rubble and dozens of families fleeing the village to safety.
An AFP journalist saw several wounded people being taken to a hospital in Damascus, around 40 kilometres (25 miles) from the village.
"We were asleep when we were woken up at three in the morning by gunfire," wounded resident Iyad Daher told AFP at al-Mouwassat hospital in the Syrian capital.
"We went outside to see what was happening and saw the Israeli army in the village, soldiers and tanks. Then they withdrew, the air force came, and the shells started falling. I was hit by shrapnel in the neck."
The Israeli army said the targets of the operation were fighters from the Islamist group Jamaa Islamiya, which is based in neighbouring Lebanon.
"The suspects operated in the area of Beit Jin in southern Syria and advanced terror attacks against Israeli civilians," it said in a statement.
A local official told AFP that Israeli forces raided the village to capture three men, sparking clashes.
"Following the clashes, the Israeli occupation forces shelled the area with artillery and drones," village official Abdul Rahman al-Hamrawi said.
- 'Territorial integrity' -
Rami Abdul Rahman, head of the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights monitor, said Friday's operation was "the deadliest incursion since Israel began conducting operations outside the buffer zone in southern Syria".
Israel sent troops into the UN-patrolled buffer zone, which has separated Israeli and Syrian forces on the Golan Heights since 1974, in the immediate aftermath of Assad's fall.
Israel has occupied Syria's Golan Heights, a strategic mountain plateau, since 1967, annexing it in 1981 in a move not recognised by the international community.
Last week Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu visited Israeli troops deployed in the buffer zone, drawing a sharp rebuke from Damascus and others in the region.
The premier has previously insisted that southern Syria be demilitarised following Assad's overthrow.
In a resolution passed on November 6, the UN Security Council reaffirmed its strong backing for Syria's "sovereignty, independence, territorial integrity and national unity".
Israel's key backer the United States has been pushing for a security pact between Syria and Israel, part of President Donald Trump's goal to shore up the fragile Gaza ceasefire with a broader Middle East peace settlement.
While Syrian and Israeli officials have held repeated rounds of talks, President Ahmed al-Sharaa has ruled out Syria joining the Abraham Accords, under which a handful of Arab countries have normalised ties with Israel.
He recently met with Trump and warned in a UN speech that Israel's persistent attacks put the region at risk, but backed diplomacy.
"In the face of this aggression, Syria is committed to dialogue," he said.
burs-jfx/dcp
Y.Aukaiv--AMWN