-
French mother of boys abandoned in Portugal remanded in custody
-
Uganda confirms new Ebola cases, linked to DR Congo
-
Pope condemns environmental harm in Italy's 'Land of Fires'
-
Auckland FC become first New Zealand team to win A-League title
-
Russian war drama among favourites for top Cannes prize
-
North Korean women crowned Asian club champions in South
-
China coal mine blast kills at least 90, more missing
-
Full steam ahead for Milei's Andean mining revolution
-
Iran weighs peace proposal, accuses US of 'excessive demands'
-
Rubio in India to renew ties after Trump's China lovefest
-
Pope visits Italy's 'Land of Fires'
-
China set for latest space launch, with Hong Kong astronaut aboard
-
Police, protesters clash in new marches against Bolivian leader
-
US jury finds Boeing not guilty in 737 MAX grounding lawsuit
-
'Humans want to optimize': Enhanced Games founder embraces doping row
-
Rubio starts first visit to India on heels of US-China summit
-
The Asian workers keeping Greenland in business
-
'Never going back': Cartel attack decimates Mexican Indigenous town
-
Cannes highlights as film festival wraps up
-
The movies vying for the Cannes Film Festival's top prize
-
Russian war drama among favourites for Cannes top prize
-
Banned ex-100m champ Kerley to compete clean at Enhanced Games
-
Waratahs 'on right track' despite crushing Brumbies loss
-
Senegal's president sacks PM after months of tensions
-
SpaceX's enormous Starship splashes down after test flight
-
US mulls new strikes on Iran: US media reports
-
South Korean Kim flirts with 59, shoots 60 to lead CJ Cup Byron Nelson
-
SpaceX sends Starship rocket sailing into space
-
NASCAR boss pays tribute to 'badass' Kyle Busch
-
Russell bounces back to beat Antonelli in sprint qualifying
-
Lens beat Nice to win French Cup for first time
-
Mexico, EU lower tariffs in bid to grow non-US trade
-
Vunipola guides Montpellier past Ulster to Challenge Cup triumph
-
Fresh confrontation between police, protesters in Bolivia
-
Kevin Warsh: New Fed chair who vows not to be Trump's puppet
-
US Fed chair says will be 'reform-oriented' at glitzy White House swearing-in
-
French Gaza activists arrive home after Israel expulsion
-
Ace, eagle lift Im to early CJ Cup Byron Nelson lead
-
From agave syrup to raw materials: EU, Mexico agree trade expansion
-
Antonelli romps opening practice ahead of Russell
-
Who killed Trump's AI order? Musk says it wasn't him
-
Pakistan military chief arrives in Tehran in push to end Iran war
-
Klaasen helps Hyderabad past Bangalore
-
US intelligence chief Tulsi Gabbard resigns
-
Gauff at ease in Paris as she prepares to defend French Open title
-
Pep 'made me believe I could be a coach', says Kompany
-
Ebola risk now at highest level in DR Congo, says WHO
-
Rising Spain star Jodar wants to 'follow own path' at Roland Garros
-
Wawrinka considering return for famous French Open shorts
-
Success fuels Guardiola's campaign for a 'better society'
Guinea-Bissau capital inches back to normal after coup
Life returned to a semblance of normality in the capital of Guinea-Bissau on Friday, two days after a military coup that saw elections suspended and the president flee into exile.
The takeover came just one day before authorities had been due to announce the provisional results of Sunday's presidential and parliamentary polls.
The true motives for the putsch -- the fifth the west African country has suffered in 45 years -- remains unclear.
The military installed General Horta N'Tam, the army's chief of staff, as the country's new leader on Thursday for a transitional period of one year.
On Friday, N'Tam appointed current Finance Minister Ilidio Vieira Te as prime minister. He retains the finance portfolio.
Outgoing President President Umaro Sissoco Embalo, to whom N'Tam was close, was arrested on Wednesday but allowed on Thursday to leave for Senegal on a military place chartered by the government in Dakar.
On Friday, vehicles and pedestrians were back on the main road from the port of Bissau to the presidential palace in the centre of the capital, AFP journalists saw.
Security was eased in some areas but remained in place at key locations.
Traders and shoppers were back at the city's main markets, while shops, restaurants and small grocery outlets had also reopened.
"I resumed my work because if I stay home, I will have nothing to eat," said Boubacar Embalo, a 25-year-old street vendor.
"But thing's aren't going too well for the moment. I have made rounds of the city since morning but have not managed to sell anything," he added.
- Drug smuggling networks -
Surrounding areas of Bissau were more deserted, with few people at the reopened markets, AFP journalists said.
The west African country's land, air and sea borders -- all sealed off on Wednesday -- have reportedly been reopened.
The military rulers lifted their nationwide and ordered markets, schools and private institutions to reopen.
Sandwiched between Senegal and Guinea, Guinea-Bissau had already undergone four coups and a host of attempted takeovers since its independence from Portugal in 1974.
Opposition candidate Fernando Dias da Costa told AFP on Thursday he believed he had won Sunday's election.
He alleged that Embalo, who has also claimed victory, had "organised" the power grab to prevent him from taking office.
Certain analysts say a high-level battle to control illegal drug smuggling networks may have also played a part in the country's instability.
Crippling poverty and chaotic administration have made Guinea-Bissau a fertile ground for Latin American drug lords smuggling cocaine to Europe.
Both senior military and political figures are suspected of implication in the illicit Class-A drugs trade.
Senegalese President Ousmane Sonko said on Friday the coup was a stitch-up.
"Everyone knows that what happened in Guinea-Bissau was a scam. We should continue with the electoral process and let the (electoral) commission announce who won," he told parliament in Dakar, without elaborating.
Guinea-Bissau's last presidential election in November 2019 was followed by a political crisis, with two rivals claiming to be head of state.
That only ended in April 2020 when the west African regional bloc, ECOWAS, recognised Embalo as the winner.
Ch.Kahalev--AMWN