-
US jury finds Boeing not guilty in 737 MAX grounding lawsuit
-
'Humans want to optimize': Enhanced Games founder embraces doping row
-
Rubio starts first visit to India on heels of US-China summit
-
The Asian workers keeping Greenland in business
-
'Never going back': Cartel attack decimates Mexican Indigenous town
-
Cannes highlights as film festival wraps up
-
The movies vying for the Cannes Film Festival's top prize
-
Russian war drama among favourites for Cannes top prize
-
Banned ex-100m champ Kerley to compete clean at Enhanced Games
-
Waratahs 'on right track' despite crushing Brumbies loss
-
Senegal's president sacks PM after months of tensions
-
SpaceX's enormous Starship splashes down after test flight
-
US mulls new strikes on Iran: US media reports
-
South Korean Kim flirts with 59, shoots 60 to lead CJ Cup Byron Nelson
-
SpaceX sends Starship rocket sailing into space
-
NASCAR boss pays tribute to 'badass' Kyle Busch
-
Russell bounces back to beat Antonelli in sprint qualifying
-
Lens beat Nice to win French Cup for first time
-
Mexico, EU lower tariffs in bid to grow non-US trade
-
Vunipola guides Montpellier past Ulster to Challenge Cup triumph
-
Fresh confrontation between police, protesters in Bolivia
-
Kevin Warsh: New Fed chair who vows not to be Trump's puppet
-
US Fed chair says will be 'reform-oriented' at glitzy White House swearing-in
-
French Gaza activists arrive home after Israel expulsion
-
Ace, eagle lift Im to early CJ Cup Byron Nelson lead
-
From agave syrup to raw materials: EU, Mexico agree trade expansion
-
Antonelli romps opening practice ahead of Russell
-
Who killed Trump's AI order? Musk says it wasn't him
-
Pakistan military chief arrives in Tehran in push to end Iran war
-
Klaasen helps Hyderabad past Bangalore
-
US intelligence chief Tulsi Gabbard resigns
-
Gauff at ease in Paris as she prepares to defend French Open title
-
Pep 'made me believe I could be a coach', says Kompany
-
Ebola risk now at highest level in DR Congo, says WHO
-
Rising Spain star Jodar wants to 'follow own path' at Roland Garros
-
Wawrinka considering return for famous French Open shorts
-
Success fuels Guardiola's campaign for a 'better society'
-
EU seeks to rebalance trade relationship with China
-
SpaceX to retry Starship test launch Friday
-
Spurs must play with 'blood, character, and spirit': De Zerbi
-
Stocks gain, oil higher as investors weigh Mideast peace prospects
-
Carney says Alberta 'essential' to Canada as separatist push advances
-
Barcelona's Putellas dismisses talk of future before Champions League final
-
Mexico, EU to lower tariffs in bid to grow non-US trade
-
Carrick appointed as Man Utd permanent coach
-
Italy's Bettiol claims Giro 13th stage, Eulalio holds lead
-
Sabalenka poised to 'go for it' at Roland Garros
-
Latest Neuer injury 'no danger' for World Cup, say Bayern
-
Sinner says returning to Roland Garros 'special feeling' after 2025 final
-
Castro backers rally in front of US embassy in Havana
Benin government says has 'foiled' coup attempt
Benin's government said Sunday the government had thwarted an attempted coup, just hours after a group of soldiers announced on state television that they had ousted President Patrice Talon.
Military and security sources said that around a dozen soldiers had been arrested, including those behind the coup bid.
The west Africa region has experienced a number of coups in recent years, including in Benin's northern neighbours Niger and Burkina Faso, as well as Mali, Guinea and, most recently, Guinea-Bissau.
Talon is due to hand over power in April next year after 10 years in office marked by solid economic growth but also a surge in jihadist violence.
Early on Sunday, soldiers calling themselves the "Military Committee for Refoundation" (CMR), announced on state television that they had met and decided that "Mr Patrice Talon is removed from office as president of the republic".
Shortly after the announcement however, a source close to Talon told AFP the president was safe and condemned the coup plotters as "a small group of people who only control the television".
"The regular army is regaining control. The city (Cotonou) and the country are completely secure," said the source.
"It's just a matter of time before everything returns to normal. The clean-up is progressing well."
Benin's Interior Minister Alassane Seidou described the soldiers' announcement as "a mutiny" aimed at "destabilising the country and its institutions".
"Faced with this situation, the Beninese Armed Forces and their leadership maintained control of the situation and foiled the attempt," he added.
- Situation 'under control' -
AFP correspondents had reported hearing gunfire early Sunday on the streets of Cotonou, the economic capital, while soldiers blocked access to the presidential offices and the state television building.
Elsewhere, however, residents went about their business.
A military source confirmed that the situation was "under control" and the coup plotters had not taken either Talon's residence or the presidential offices.
AFP could not immediately verify that, with access to those areas blocked, as were several other points in the city, including the five-star Sofitel hotel in Cotonou and districts housing international institutions.
There was no military presence reported at the airport and in much of the rest of the city.
Several embassies in Benin on Sunday advised their nationals to stay inside if possible.
The eight rebel soldiers who appeared on television were carrying assault rifles and wearing berets of various colours.
They proclaimed lieutenant colonel Pascal Tigri as "president" of their "refoundation" committee and justified their action by citing the "continuous deterioration of the security situation in northern Benin".
The "neglect of soldiers killed in action and their families left to fend for themselves" as well as "unjust promotions at the expense of the most deserving" were also motivations, they added.
- Condemnation -
The Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS), of which Benin is a member, called the rebel soldiers' actions "unconstitutional" and a "subversion of the will of the Beninese people".
The African Union said it "unequivocally condemns" the attempted coup and urged soldiers to return to their barracks.
Benin's political history has been marked by several coups and attempted coups since its independence from France in 1960.
Talon, a 67-year-old former businessman dubbed the "cotton king of Cotonou", came to power in 2016.
He is due to reach the end of his second term in 2026, the maximum allowed by the constitution.
While Talon has been praised for bringing economic development to Benin, he is regularly accused by his critics of authoritarianism.
M.Thompson--AMWN