-
Trump's big arch approved by ally-controlled board
-
SpaceX postpones highly anticipated Starship launch
-
Haaland and Odegaard lead Norway's World Cup hopes after 28-year absence
-
On key: Leo Woodall finds right notes in 'Tuner'
-
California governor orders a plan to cope with AI job upheaval
-
NASCAR legend Kyle Busch dead at 41 after illness: statement
-
US voices hope on Iran deal progress
-
Humanitarian situation in Gaza still catastrophic: NGOs
-
Russell says Montreal 'just another race' as pressure mounts
-
'Hungry' Palou starts from pole in pursuit of second straight Indy 500 triumph
-
Southampton sanctions explained as ruling documents released
-
US stocks end volatile session higher as oil prices retreat
-
Ronaldo strikes twice to end long wait for Saudi title
-
Star stylists reveal secrets of making splash on Cannes red carpet
-
World Cup could make football 'mainstream' in co-host Canada
-
India postpones big cat summit over Ebola outbreak
-
Thousands line streets to celebrate Villa's Europa triumph
-
Trump eases curbs on planet-warming gases used in refrigerants
-
Clinical Gujarat end Chennai IPL hopes with 89-run win
-
What's behind the social unrest in Bolivia?
-
Air France, Airbus convicted of manslaughter in 2009 Rio-Paris crash
-
Trump pressures Supreme Court to rule for him on citizenship
-
UK details rules for single-sex spaces after landmark ruling
-
First Gaza flotilla activists arrive in Turkey after Israel deportation
-
Beloved Citroen 2CV revived as electric car
-
UK net migration halves in 2025 in boost for beleaguered Starmer
-
Rubio warns Cuba after US indicts former leader
-
Court ousts leadership of Turkey's main opposition party
-
US voices hope on Iran deal progress before Pakistan army chief visit
-
Maguire 'shocked' to be omitted from England World Cup squad
-
US expects 'below normal' Atlantic hurricane season
-
Trump eases 'ridiculous' curbs on greenhouse gases used in refrigerants
-
Ineos-owned Nice in disarray before French Cup final against Lens
-
US Democrats release - and disown - 2024 election autopsy
-
First Gaza flotilla activists arrive in Istanbul from Israel: AFP
-
Ghana delays evacuation of 800 citizens from South Africa
-
Air France, Airbus convicted of manslaughter in 2009 Paris-Rio crash
-
From conflict to cleaning, expo showcases China's drone dominance
-
Belgium's Segaert snatches Giro 12th stage, Eulalio stays in pink
-
Fans create AI-generated team songs ahead of World Cup
-
Italy and Spain urge EU sanctions on Israeli minister for activists' treatment
-
Senegal have 'big dreams' for 2026 World Cup
-
'People thought it was witchcraft': DR Congo's Ebola outbreak
-
Arteta on BBQ duty as Arsenal clinched Premier League title
-
Top UN court says right to strike protected in key labour treaty
-
Musk's SpaceX bonus comes with unique condition: colonize Mars
-
Guardiola's Premier League legacy carried forward by Spanish coaches
-
Walmart reports solid results but sees some consumers struggling
-
Oil gains, stocks slip on uncertain Mideast peace prospects
-
Stellantis unveils 60 bn euro push to revive profitability
Pets, planes and a 'fortress': inside Trump's raid on Maduro
President Donald Trump watched a live feed of US forces dramatically seizing Venezuelan leader Nicolas Maduro, the climax of a meticulous, months-long operation.
From American spies in Caracas to a picture of the leftist leader blindfolded and handcuffed, here is a blow-by-blow account of how "Operation Absolute Resolve" stunned the world.
- 'What he ate' -
US intelligence agents had been secretly monitoring leftist Maduro's every movement since August, despite his widely reported efforts to regularly change locations as tensions mounted with Washington.
"How he moved, where he lived, where he traveled, what he ate, what he wore -- what were his pets," Joint Chiefs Chairman General Dan Caine said Saturday as he described the surveillance.
The mission also involved months of "pinpoint" planning and rehearsal. Trump said US forces built a replica house identical to the one where Maduro was staying.
The US military was ready by early December but waited for a window of "aligned events," including the weather. Trump said he initially ordered the mission four days ago, but held off for the right conditions.
- 'Good luck and Godspeed' -
At 10:46 pm Washington time on Friday (0346 GMT Saturday), Trump gave the order to go.
"He said to us -- and we appreciate it Mr President -- 'Good luck and Godspeed.' And those words were transmitted to the entire joint force," said Caine.
More than 150 US military aircraft then took off from land and sea, including fighter jets, reconnaissance planes, drones -- and the helicopters that would form the crucial core of the mission.
The helicopters carrying the "extraction force" for Maduro took off into the darkness, flying at just 100 feet (33 meters) above the surface of the ocean, said Caine.
Fighter jets provided air cover while US satellite and cyber capabilities blocked Venezuelan radars.
- 'Knew we were coming' -
The first explosions began to rock Caracas just before 2 am (0600 GMT), according to AFP correspondents.
As the world wondered if it was the start of a widespread bombing campaign of Venezuelan targets, US aircraft were in fact only striking Venezuelan air defenses to allow the helicopters to get to their target.
"They knew we were coming," Trump told a press conference, referring to the tensions that had been building for months. "But they were completely overwhelmed and very quickly incapacitated" as US aircraft returned fire.
One US chopper was hit but remained operational and made it home afterwards.
The helicopters finally popped over the hills surrounding Caracas, and believing that the extraction team had maintained the element of surprise, landed at Maduro's compound at 2:01 am Caracas time (0601 GMT).
- 'Like a fortress' -
Trump said he watched the climax of the operation on a live feed.
Pictures released by the White House showed him sitting in a makeshift situation room at his Mar-a-Lago resort with Pentagon chief Pete Hegseth, Secretary of State Marco Rubio, CIA chief John Ratcliffe, Caine and other officials.
"I watched it, literally, like I was watching a television show," Trump told Fox and Friends.
The US president described Maduro's compound as "a fortress."
"It had steel doors, it had what they call a safety space where it's solid steel all around. He didn't get that space closed, he was trying to get into it, but he got bum-rushed so fast that he didn't get into that," he told Fox.
"We were prepared with massive blowtorches to get through the steel, but we didn't need them."
Trump said no US personnel were killed -- but said Maduro "could have been" had he or Venezuelan forces tried to resist.
- 'Gave up' -
Caine said Maduro and his wife "gave up" and were taken into custody by law enforcement officers on the mission. The pair face US drugs and terrorism charges.
The US helicopters crossed the Venezuelan coastline at 3:29 am and the couple were taken aboard the USS Iwo Jima.
Trump then broke the news in a post on Truth Social at 4:21 am Washington time.
Minutes later, a senior White House official sent an AFP reporter a message consisting of emojis for a muscled arm, a fist and fire.
The first the world would see of Maduro -- blindfolded, cuffed, wearing ear protectors and a Nike tracksuit -- came in a later Trump social media update, posted without comment.
L.Mason--AMWN