-
Oil gains, European stocks down on uncertain Mideast peace prospects
-
War risks choking Iran's world-beating cinema, warn directors
-
Neuer recalled to aid Germany World Cup bid
-
Samsung chip employees to get average $338,000 bonus under strike deal
-
Cambodian avatars pray to spirits for rain, peace with Thailand
-
Deadly DR Congo Ebola outbreak spreads to M23-held South Kivu
-
Spain to launch biggest forest fire campaign after record losses: PM
-
Cuba outraged after US indicts Raul Castro
-
Pakistan army chief due in Iran as Trump says talks on 'borderline'
-
EasyJet posts deeper first-half loss on Mideast war
-
In Ankara, Iran World Cup squad players start US visa process
-
Sri Lanka cricket finances 'greater than feared': interim chief
-
Ubisoft shares plunge after grim annual results
-
Vets bid to save Kosovo's stray dogs from cull through sterilisation
-
Mideast war forces EU to slash eurozone 2026 growth forecast
-
Gaza flotilla activists await deportation from Israel
-
Rich nations topped $100 bn climate finance goal again in 2023, 2024: OECD
-
London next step in all-women Athlos' goal to be 'F1 of track and field'
-
Asian stocks surge on Iran hopes, Samsung union talks
-
Winston Churchill's 'playful' paintings go on show in London
-
Tourists in Thailand plan for coming cuts to visa-free stays
-
Australia 'disappointed' by Chinese owner's resistance to forced port sale
-
Philippines orders arrest of fugitive senator sought by ICC
-
'They're afraid': Nicaraguan writer Gioconda Belli on fighting censorship
-
Samsung shareholders vow legal action over tentative union deal
-
'Ready for violence': Serbian hooligans target protesters
-
Some Ukrainian refugees head home - for dental work
-
Top UN court to rule on right to strike
-
Bordeaux-Begles' Lucu on verge of Basque 'dream' with Champions Cup final
-
Juve risk disaster as Serie A's Champions League race goes down to the wire
-
Antonelli seeks to extend sensational start with fourth win
-
Gilgeous-Alexander stars as Thunder level series with Spurs
-
Asian stocks surge on Iran hopes and Samsung union talks
-
Asian stocks surge on Iran hopes and Samsung deal
-
Ruffles, biker leather and celebs at Louis Vuitton's New York show
-
South Korea coach 'hurt' by support for North team
-
Australian court upholds $465,000 fine against Elon Musk's X
-
Commander-in-beef: Bangladesh's 'Donald Trump' buffalo wins fans
-
'Taiwan Travelogue' author hopes book can be read in China, spark dialogue
-
Former stars differ on whether African team can win 2026 World Cup
-
'Fired and festive': 'Late Show' host Stephen Colbert bows out
-
Upgraded SpaceX Starship set for test launch ahead of IPO
-
Israeli minister sparks outcry over video of bound flotilla activists
-
Police defenders of US Capitol sue to stop Trump 'slush fund'
-
The world built more coal power in 2025, but used less
-
'Their story is our story': Pigeons and humans, 3,500 years together
-
Nextech3d.ai to Showcase AI Event Operating System and Krafty Labs Marketplace at Leading EMRG Media Event in New York
-
Datasaur Launches Forge: AI Native Services to Deploy Private, Model-Agnostic AI Inside Regulated Enterprises
-
Horizon Aircraft Advances Dual-Use Certification Path Through Cert Center Canada Partnership
-
Greene Concepts Highlights Premium Packaging Design and Elevated Brand Positioning of Be Water(TM)
Trump convinced 'to give Iran a chance' after threats over protest crackdown
Gulf allies have convinced Donald Trump to "give Iran a chance", a Saudi official said on Thursday, after the US leader repeatedly threatened strikes on the Islamic republic over a crackdown on protests that activists say has left thousands dead.
Iran was shaken over the last week by some of the biggest anti-government protests in the history of the Islamic republic, although the demonstrations appear to have diminished over the last few days in the face of repression and an almost week-long internet blackout.
The Norway-based Iran Human Rights (IHR) NGO said on Wednesday that Iranian security forces had killed at least 3,428 protesters, warning that the final toll would be far higher.
Iranian authorities have lashed out at "rioters" who they claimed were backed by Israel and the US, vowing fast-track justice that activists fear will translate into a spree of executions.
Trump has not ruled out new military action against the Islamic republic under supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, after Washington backed Israel in its June 12-day war against Iran.
But with the belligerent rhetoric on all sides appearing to tone down for now, a senior Saudi official told AFP on Thursday that Saudi Arabia, Qatar and Oman led efforts to talk Trump out of an attack on Iran, fearing "grave blowbacks in the region".
The Gulf trio "led a long, frantic, diplomatic last-minute effort to convince President Trump to give Iran a chance to show good intention", the official said on condition of anonymity.
Some personnel were moved out of a major US military base in Qatar on Wednesday, and staff at US missions in Saudi Arabia and Kuwait were warned to exercise caution as fears mounted of a US attack.
In telephone talks on Thursday, Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi told Saudi Arabian counterpart Faisal bin Farhan of the importance of "global condemnation of foreign interference in the internal affairs of regional countries" and vowed Iran would defend itself "against any foreign threat", according to a statement on his Telegram account.
On Wednesday, Saudi Arabia informed Iran it would not allow its airspace or territory to be used to attack the country, two sources close to the kingdom's government told AFP.
The developments came hours ahead of a UN Security Council meeting on Iran later on Thursday, which was requested by the US.
- 'Good news' -
Up until Wednesday, the United States was threatening military action against Iran should it carry out the death penalty against people arrested over the protests.
In an announcement at the White House, Trump said he had now received assurances from "very important sources on the other side" that executions would not go ahead.
"They've said the killing has stopped and the executions won't take place -- there were supposed to be a lot of executions today and that the executions won't take place -- and we're going to find out," Trump said.
Attention had focused on protester Erfan Soltani, 26, in prison in Karaj outside Tehran since his arrest, and rights groups said was due to be executed on Wednesday.
On Thursday, the Iranian judiciary said Soltani has "not been sentenced to death" and was facing charges of propaganda against Iran's Islamic system and acting against national security.
If he is convicted, "the punishment, according to the law, will be imprisonment, as the death penalty does not exist for such charges".
In an interview with US network Fox News, Araghchi said there would be "no hanging today or tomorrow".
Commenting on Truth Social, Trump said: "This is good news. Hopefully, it will continue!"
- 'Significant cost' -
Araghchi said the Iranian government was "in full control" and reported an atmosphere of calm after what he called three days of "terrorist operation".
The US-based Institute for the Study of War, which has monitored protest activity amid the shutdown, said it had recorded no protests on Wednesday.
But it added: "The regime is sustaining repressive measures that impose a significant cost on the regime. This suggests that the regime does not perceive that the threat from protests has subsided."
Despite the shutdown, new videos from the height of the protests, with locations verified by AFP, showed bodies lined up in the Kahrizak morgue south of Tehran, wrapped in black bags as distraught relatives searched for loved ones.
One Red Crescent member of staff was killed and five other colleagues were wounded while on duty in northwestern Iran, the aid group's parent organisation said Thursday without giving the circumstances surrounding their deaths.
F.Schneider--AMWN