-
Asian stocks surge on Iran hopes, Samsung union talks
-
Winston Churchill's 'playful' paintings go on show in London
-
Tourists in Thailand plan for coming cuts to visa-free stays
-
Australia 'disappointed' by Chinese owner's resistance to forced port sale
-
Philippines orders arrest of fugitive senator sought by ICC
-
'They're afraid': Nicaraguan writer Gioconda Belli on fighting censorship
-
Samsung shareholders vow legal action over tentative union deal
-
'Ready for violence': Serbian hooligans target protesters
-
Some Ukrainian refugees head home - for dental work
-
Top UN court to rule on right to strike
-
Bordeaux-Begles' Lucu on verge of Basque 'dream' with Champions Cup final
-
Juve risk disaster as Serie A's Champions League race goes down to the wire
-
Antonelli seeks to extend sensational start with fourth win
-
Gilgeous-Alexander stars as Thunder level series with Spurs
-
Asian stocks surge on Iran hopes and Samsung union talks
-
Asian stocks surge on Iran hopes and Samsung deal
-
Ruffles, biker leather and celebs at Louis Vuitton's New York show
-
South Korea coach 'hurt' by support for North team
-
Australian court upholds $465,000 fine against Elon Musk's X
-
Commander-in-beef: Bangladesh's 'Donald Trump' buffalo wins fans
-
'Taiwan Travelogue' author hopes book can be read in China, spark dialogue
-
Former stars differ on whether African team can win 2026 World Cup
-
'Fired and festive': 'Late Show' host Stephen Colbert bows out
-
Upgraded SpaceX Starship set for test launch ahead of IPO
-
Israeli minister sparks outcry over video of bound flotilla activists
-
Police defenders of US Capitol sue to stop Trump 'slush fund'
-
The world built more coal power in 2025, but used less
-
'Their story is our story': Pigeons and humans, 3,500 years together
-
Guardian Metal Resources PLC Announces Dr. Mark Thorpe appointed to the Board
-
Musk's SpaceX is about to go public. Here's how it works
-
SpaceX, the sprawling company targeting the stars, Mars and an IPO
-
Musk eyes Wall Street record with SpaceX IPO
-
Fighting over a chicken in protest-hit La Paz
-
Emery urges Villa to use Europa triumph to fuel bold new era
-
US charges former Cuban president with murder as pressure builds
-
'Bohemian Rhapsody' star Malek says has Freddie Mercury 'in soul'
-
McGinn invites Prince William to join Villa's Europa celebrations
-
Zuckerberg says he feels 'weight' of Meta layoffs
-
Musk's SpaceX discloses filing for blockbuster IPO
-
Southampton lose appeal over Championship play-off removal
-
Cavs' Atkinson defends Harden, rues 'collective' defensive woes
-
Embattled Bolivia leader promises 'to listen' to protesters
-
US needs to 'put its footprint back on Greenland': Trump envoy
-
Tielemans reveals secret behind goal that inspired Villa's Europa glory
-
UN members reinforce nations' climate change obligations
-
Stylish Aston Villa win Europa League to end 30-year trophy drought
-
US needs to 'put its footprint back on Greenland': US envoy to AFP
-
Embattled Bolivia leader promises 'to listen' to protests
-
'Majority' of US Fed officials say rate hikes may be needed
-
Steelers quarterback Aaron Rodgers says 2026 his last NFL season
Blast at Chinese restaurant in Kabul kills 7
A blast at a Chinese restaurant in central Kabul on Monday killed at least seven people and wounded more than a dozen others, emergency services said.
An AFP journalist saw police vehicles and an ambulance at the scene following the explosion on a street known for its flower sellers in the Shahr-e-Naw area.
Kabul police spokesman Khalid Zadran said the explosion occurred at the Chinese Noodle restaurant, which he said mainly served Chinese Muslims.
"A Chinese Muslim, Ayub, and six Afghans were killed, and several others were wounded. The blast occurred near the kitchen," Zadran said in a statement.
The police spokesman, who said the cause was under investigation, had earlier said the blast hit a hotel.
The Islamic State armed group claimed responsibility for the attack in a statement, the SITE Intelligence Group reported, saying it was a suicide attack targeting Chinese nationals.
"The Islamic State in Afghanistan has placed Chinese nationals on its list of targets, especially in light of the escalating crimes committed by the Chinese government against the oppressed Uyghur Muslims," the IS statement said.
Italian NGO EMERGENCY said its hospital near the targeted restaurant had received "seven people dead on arrival", with 13 others admitted to the surgical department.
"Among the wounded are four women and a child," Dejan Panic, the NGO's country director, said in a statement.
The owner of a flower shop, requesting anonymity for security reasons, said the blast happened at around 3:30 pm (1100 GMT) at the other end of the street from his business.
He told AFP he heard the "strong sound" of a blast in the crowded area.
"It was an emergency situation. Everybody feared for his own life," he said.
"I could see at least five wounded."
Within hours of the blast the street was reopened to traffic, with cars streaming past the restaurant's covered entrance.
Windows in the building opposite were smashed, according to an AFP photographer.
Taliban officials have vowed to restore security to the country and are courting foreign investors to secure crucial revenue streams as foreign aid funding dries up.
Chinese business visitors have flocked to Afghanistan since the Taliban government took power in 2021 for the second time.
The following year, the Islamic State group claimed a deadly attack on a Kabul hotel popular with Chinese guests.
China, which shares a rugged 76-kilometre (47-mile) border with Afghanistan, has close ties with the Taliban government.
L.Davis--AMWN