-
US charges former Cuban president with murder as pressure builds
-
'Bohemian Rhapsody' star Malek says has Freddie Mercury 'in soul'
-
McGinn invites Prince William to join Villa's Europa celebrations
-
Zuckerberg says he feels 'weight' of Meta layoffs
-
Musk's SpaceX discloses filing for blockbuster IPO
-
Southampton lose appeal over Championship play-off removal
-
Cavs' Atkinson defends Harden, rues 'collective' defensive woes
-
Embattled Bolivia leader promises 'to listen' to protesters
-
US needs to 'put its footprint back on Greenland': Trump envoy
-
Tielemans reveals secret behind goal that inspired Villa's Europa glory
-
UN members reinforce nations' climate change obligations
-
Stylish Aston Villa win Europa League to end 30-year trophy drought
-
US needs to 'put its footprint back on Greenland': US envoy to AFP
-
Embattled Bolivia leader promises 'to listen' to protests
-
'Majority' of US Fed officials say rate hikes may be needed
-
Steelers quarterback Aaron Rodgers says 2026 his last NFL season
-
Kolkata see off Mumbai to keep IPL playoff hopes alive
-
Raul Castro: the other leader of Cuba's revolution
-
Spacey walks Cannes red carpet as comeback continues
-
US indicts former Cuban president as pressure builds
-
Ubisoft counts cost of restructuring with record annual loss
-
1996 Cuban downing of two US planes behind Raul Castro indictment
-
Silva says it's time for new Man City generation to shine
-
Airbnb expands into hotels, cars, groceries
-
Southampton appeal against Championship play-off removal for spying
-
Bolivia says protesters trying to 'disrupt democratic order'
-
Opposition backlash as Macron's choice gets nod for central bank
-
In-form Narvaez makes it three Giro stage wins
-
Mideast war drives up bond yields, budget risk
-
Ubisoft reports record annual loss after game delays, cancellations
-
Board of Peace report accuses Hamas of blocking Gaza progress
-
Boss of Germany's Commerzbank cheered as she slams UniCredit advances
-
Colosseum selfies, 'Melody' toffee and trade: Modi visits Rome
-
French presidential candidate Philippe targeted in embezzlement probe
-
UK eases sanctions on Russian jet fuel and diesel imports
-
Iran says US wants to 'start new war' after Trump threat
-
Magyar, Tusk tout Hungary's return to Europe in post-Orban era
-
Bangladesh measles deaths near 500 but vaccines offer hope
-
NATO chief says US troop withdrawals from Europe won't hurt defences
-
DR Congo Ebola risk high regionally, low worldwide: WHO
-
French lawmakers back Macron choice to run Bank of France
-
Borthwick to monitor Lawes as England great targets Test recall
-
Rubio offers Cubans 'new path' in special video address
-
UK inflation drops ahead of expected war-fuelled jump
-
North Korean women win rare match in South to reach final
-
Gough says McCullum 'very lucky' to keep England job after Ashes debacle
-
Worried and under-equipped, Ebola-hit east DR Congo awaits medical aid
-
Lithuanians briefly head to bunkers over drone alert
-
Alibaba unveils new AI chip as Nvidia access remains stalled
-
Oil retreats, stocks rise on cautious Mideast war hopes
Russian strikes in Ukraine kill 12, target passenger train
Russian forces in Ukraine killed 12 people and struck energy infrastructure and a passenger train overnight on Tuesday, authorities said, days after negotiators from both sides held direct talks aimed at ending nearly four years of war.
In northeastern Kharkiv region, a drone hit a carriage of a train transporting nearly 200 passengers, killing at least five people, Ukraine's Prime Minister Yulia Svyrydenko posted on X.
"There is not and cannot be any military justification for killing civilians in a train carriage," Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky said on Telegram.
Prosecutors posted images of the smouldering carriage on social media, which regional emergency services later said had been extinguished.
A barrage of more than 50 Russian drones killed three people and wounded more than 30 in the southern city of Odesa, regional officials said.
The Black Sea city key for Ukrainian exports has been routinely pummelled by Russian forces.
Regional governor Oleg Kiper said a woman, 39 weeks pregnant, and two girls were among the wounded.
An AFP journalist at the scene saw the collapsed facade of a residential building and rescue workers searching the rubble for victims.
Zelensky said the bombardment undermined peace efforts and urged allies to step up pressure on Moscow to end the war.
"Every such Russian strike erodes the diplomacy that is still ongoing and undermines the efforts of partners who are helping to end this war," he wrote on social media.
Deadly strikes on energy infrastructure that have left many Ukrainians without power in freezing temperatures have continued since Russian and Ukrainian negotiators met in the United Arab Emirates last week for US-brokered talks aimed at ending the conflict.
The next round is expected to take place on February 1, according to Zelensky.
- Millions without power -
Ukrainian private energy firm DTEK said Russian forces had inflicted "enormous" damage on one of its facilities in the Odesa region overnight.
Kiper said dozens of residential buildings, a church, kindergarten and schools had been damaged in the attacks.
A married couple aged 45 and 48 were killed in Sloviansk in the eastern Donetsk region, which the Kremlin claims to have annexed. Their 20-year-old son survived the attack, local prosecutors said.
In the southern region of Zaporizhzhia, a 58-year-old man was killed in a drone attack. A 72-year-old was killed in her home by Russian shelling in the southern Kherson region.
Russian drone and missile attacks have knocked out power, lighting and heat to millions of Ukrainians across the country.
The Ukrainian air force said Russia had launched 165 attack drones overnight, and officials said an infrastructure facility in the western Lviv region was hit.
State gas company Naftogaz said the attack had left one of its facilities on fire in western Ukraine, describing it as the fifth attack of its kind this month.
Russian forces are slowly advancing across the front. The Russian defence ministry announced on Tuesday it had captured two more villages in the Zaporizhzhia and Kharkiv regions.
bur-jbr-fv-blb/tw/gv/ceg/mjw
S.Gregor--AMWN