-
US needs to 'put its footprint back on Greenland': US envoy to AFP
-
Embattled Bolivia leader promises 'to listen' to protests
-
'Majority' of US Fed officials say rate hikes may be needed
-
Steelers quarterback Aaron Rodgers says 2026 his last NFL season
-
Kolkata see off Mumbai to keep IPL playoff hopes alive
-
Raul Castro: the other leader of Cuba's revolution
-
Spacey walks Cannes red carpet as comeback continues
-
US indicts former Cuban president as pressure builds
-
Ubisoft counts cost of restructuring with record annual loss
-
1996 Cuban downing of two US planes behind Raul Castro indictment
-
Silva says it's time for new Man City generation to shine
-
Airbnb expands into hotels, cars, groceries
-
Southampton appeal against Championship play-off removal for spying
-
Bolivia says protesters trying to 'disrupt democratic order'
-
Opposition backlash as Macron's choice gets nod for central bank
-
In-form Narvaez makes it three Giro stage wins
-
Mideast war drives up bond yields, budget risk
-
Ubisoft reports record annual loss after game delays, cancellations
-
Board of Peace report accuses Hamas of blocking Gaza progress
-
Boss of Germany's Commerzbank cheered as she slams UniCredit advances
-
Colosseum selfies, 'Melody' toffee and trade: Modi visits Rome
-
French presidential candidate Philippe targeted in embezzlement probe
-
UK eases sanctions on Russian jet fuel and diesel imports
-
Iran says US wants to 'start new war' after Trump threat
-
Magyar, Tusk tout Hungary's return to Europe in post-Orban era
-
Bangladesh measles deaths near 500 but vaccines offer hope
-
NATO chief says US troop withdrawals from Europe won't hurt defences
-
DR Congo Ebola risk high regionally, low worldwide: WHO
-
French lawmakers back Macron choice to run Bank of France
-
Borthwick to monitor Lawes as England great targets Test recall
-
Rubio offers Cubans 'new path' in special video address
-
UK inflation drops ahead of expected war-fuelled jump
-
North Korean women win rare match in South to reach final
-
Gough says McCullum 'very lucky' to keep England job after Ashes debacle
-
Worried and under-equipped, Ebola-hit east DR Congo awaits medical aid
-
Lithuanians briefly head to bunkers over drone alert
-
Alibaba unveils new AI chip as Nvidia access remains stalled
-
Oil retreats, stocks rise on cautious Mideast war hopes
-
Key takeaways from Putin-Xi meeting
-
Arsenal players in dawn celebrations after winning Premier League
-
India issues heatwave warnings as fear of El Nino looms
-
Whale of a time: Humpbacks set new distance record
-
Families of Beirut strike victims vow to fight for justice
-
Maddison 'embarrassed' by Spurs' survival struggles
-
Uganda president's son moves against senior politician for corruption
-
Havana-born star Andy Garcia says Cubans dream of change
-
Iran Guards warn of war beyond Mideast as Trump repeats threats
-
Saka says Arsenal critics 'not laughing anymore' after title triumph
-
UK climate advisers urge setting maximum working temperature
-
Stellantis signs Europe joint venture with China's Dongfeng
Trump battles Minneapolis shooting fallout as agents put on leave
The Trump administration said Wednesday that two immigration agents involved in the fatal shooting of a civilian in Minneapolis had been placed on leave, as the president slammed the city’s mayor despite a promise to de-escalate the situation.
The officers have been on leave -- a move US officials said was "standard protocol" -- since Saturday, when Alex Pretti was shot multiple times after being forced to the ground by camouflaged officers in a scuffle captured on video.
President Donald Trump said Tuesday that he wanted to "de-escalate a little bit" in Minneapolis, the focal point for tensions over his hardline immigration crackdown.
Yet on Wednesday, the 79-year-old Republican attacked the mayor of Minneapolis, saying that his refusal to cooperate with federal authorities on rooting out suspected illegal immigrants was "a very serious violation of the law."
Mayor Jacob Frey is "playing with fire," Trump said on social media.
The fatal Saturday shooting of Pretti, an intensive care nurse, was widely condemned across the political aisle despite initial efforts by White House officials to justify the killing.
In a bid to stem the backlash, Trump shuffled the leadership of immigration agents deployed in Minneapolis.
He replaced the confrontational Greg Bovino, famed for reveling in aggressive, televised immigration crackdowns, with the policy-focused "border czar" Tom Homan.
Another high-ranking official, Attorney General Pam Bondi, was in Minneapolis on Wednesday as she announced the arrests of 16 Minnesota "rioters" for allegedly assaulting federal law enforcement.
- Fury -
While the White House insists that it is targeting hardened criminals, the use of masked, heavily armed men to snatch people from streets, homes and workplaces has caused widespread shock.
That turned to fury this month after immigration agents shot dead two Minneapolis protesters at point-blank range in separate incidents -- Pretti and Renee Good, both US citizens.
Top Trump aide Stephen Miller initially justified Pretti's killing by branding him a "would-be assassin" -- despite video evidence clearly showing the 37-year-old man posed no threat when he was gunned down.
Late Tuesday, Miller acknowledged that the Customs and Border Patrol agents who killed Pretti "may not have been following protocol."
Seeking to distance himself from the fallout, Trump also struck a more conciliatory tone Tuesday.
However, Trump said there was no plan for a "pullback" and he has rejected calls to sack his loyal Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem.
The political battle could soon move to Congress where Democrats are threatening to hold up authorization for swaths of US government funding if reforms are not made to rein in the sprawling military-style immigration agencies.
Meanwhile, the president of the Roman Catholic bishops' conference in the United States called Wednesday on priests to offer a time of prayer following the fatal shootings in Minneapolis.
- Immigrant politician attacked -
Trump's focus on Minnesota is linked to a probe into alleged corruption by Somali immigrants in the state, which he and right-wing allies have amplified as an example of what they say is a fight against criminal immigrants.
The president has made a particular target of Somali-born congresswoman Ilhan Omar, whom he routinely insults in speeches and says should be sent back to Somalia.
In the latest sign of a deteriorating political climate, a man sprayed Omar with a liquid while she was giving a speech late Tuesday, before being tackled by security.
The suspect, 55-year-old Anthony Kazmierczak, was arrested on suspicion of assault. CNN reported that the liquid was likely apple cider vinegar, citing a law enforcement source.
"Here is the reality that people like this ugly man don't understand -- we are Minnesota strong and we will stay resilient in the face of whatever they might throw at us," Omar said to the meeting of constituents.
Y.Aukaiv--AMWN