-
Spacey walks Cannes red carpet as comeback continues
-
US indicts former Cuban president as pressure builds
-
Ubisoft counts cost of restructuring with record annual loss
-
1996 Cuban downing of two US planes behind Raul Castro indictment
-
Silva says it's time for new Man City generation to shine
-
Airbnb expands into hotels, cars, groceries
-
Southampton appeal against Championship play-off removal for spying
-
Bolivia says protesters trying to 'disrupt democratic order'
-
Opposition backlash as Macron's choice gets nod for central bank
-
In-form Narvaez makes it three Giro stage wins
-
Mideast war drives up bond yields, budget risk
-
Ubisoft reports record annual loss after game delays, cancellations
-
Board of Peace report accuses Hamas of blocking Gaza progress
-
Boss of Germany's Commerzbank cheered as she slams UniCredit advances
-
Colosseum selfies, 'Melody' toffee and trade: Modi visits Rome
-
French presidential candidate Philippe targeted in embezzlement probe
-
UK eases sanctions on Russian jet fuel and diesel imports
-
Iran says US wants to 'start new war' after Trump threat
-
Magyar, Tusk tout Hungary's return to Europe in post-Orban era
-
Bangladesh measles deaths near 500 but vaccines offer hope
-
NATO chief says US troop withdrawals from Europe won't hurt defences
-
DR Congo Ebola risk high regionally, low worldwide: WHO
-
French lawmakers back Macron choice to run Bank of France
-
Borthwick to monitor Lawes as England great targets Test recall
-
Rubio offers Cubans 'new path' in special video address
-
UK inflation drops ahead of expected war-fuelled jump
-
North Korean women win rare match in South to reach final
-
Gough says McCullum 'very lucky' to keep England job after Ashes debacle
-
Worried and under-equipped, Ebola-hit east DR Congo awaits medical aid
-
Lithuanians briefly head to bunkers over drone alert
-
Alibaba unveils new AI chip as Nvidia access remains stalled
-
Oil retreats, stocks rise on cautious Mideast war hopes
-
Key takeaways from Putin-Xi meeting
-
Arsenal players in dawn celebrations after winning Premier League
-
India issues heatwave warnings as fear of El Nino looms
-
Whale of a time: Humpbacks set new distance record
-
Families of Beirut strike victims vow to fight for justice
-
Maddison 'embarrassed' by Spurs' survival struggles
-
Uganda president's son moves against senior politician for corruption
-
Havana-born star Andy Garcia says Cubans dream of change
-
Iran Guards warn of war beyond Mideast as Trump repeats threats
-
Saka says Arsenal critics 'not laughing anymore' after title triumph
-
UK climate advisers urge setting maximum working temperature
-
Stellantis signs Europe joint venture with China's Dongfeng
-
Indonesia's Prabowo announces export controls for coal, palm oil
-
Shot for throwing stones: Israeli forces killing West Bank teens weekly
-
Japan to sell eels bred in captivity in 'world first'
-
Taijul takes six to lead Bangladesh to Pakistan Test series sweep
-
Langer left in awe by teen Sooryavanshi's 'breathtaking' batting
-
Humpback whales make record swims between Australia and Brazil
French PM forces final budget through parliament
French Prime Minister Sebastien Lecornu forced his budget through parliament without a vote for the third and final time Friday, exposing him to yet another no-confidence motion.
The decision to use the constitutional tool known as article 49.3 has marked an about-face for Lecornu, who pledged last year to seek parliament's approval, in a bid to avoid the fate of his two predecessors who were ousted over budget negotiations.
But after months of negotiations reached an impasse, Lecornu announced he would use the power to force the budget, after making concessions to gain the backing of the Socialists.
"France must have a budget. And so, before this chamber, I am committing the government's responsibility for the entire Finance Bill for 2026," he told the National Assembly on Friday while invoking the power to push it through.
His opponents, including the hard left and far-right parties, have vowed to file no-confidence motions against him in response.
The motions are expected to be debated and voted upon Monday, according to lawmaker Eric Coquerel who chairs the finance committee.
If Lecornu survives, as anticipated based on his previous support, the budget will move forward for definitive adoption.
The Socialist party has "tightened the screws" on its members to fall in line and back the government, Coquerel lamented.
Lecornu has already endured a string of no-confidence votes in recent weeks as he pushed the first sections of the 2026 state budget through parliament without a vote.
On Tuesday, Lecornu defended his decision, touting what he called a "breakthrough" budget that would boost defence spending by 6.5 billion euros ($7.78 billion) and urging a "long-term" view.
Although some lawmakers have expressed doubts, the text aims to bring the deficit down to five percent of the gross domestic product (GDP) in 2026 from 5.4 percent in 2025.
The executive was initially targeting 4.6 percent, but the scrapping of pension reforms meant such a reduction of the deficit was not possible, according to rapporteur Philippe Juvin.
The various concessions made for the Socialists include a one-euro meal for students and an increase in a top-up payment for low-income workers.
Despite being "imperfect" the budget "is a useful text for the French, because it allows us to emerge from the climate of uncertainty that has set in over the past few months," Public Accounts Minister Amelie de Montchalin said on Thursday.
The eurozone's second-largest economy has been bogged down in political crises since Macron called a snap poll in 2024, in which he lost his parliamentary majority.
P.Stevenson--AMWN