-
Three killed in San Diego mosque shooting, two attackers dead
-
US to screen for Ebola at airports, one American in DR Congo infected
-
Aussie Scott officially set for 100th straight major at US Open
-
Pep Guardiola to leave Man City at end of the season - reports
-
Neymar back in Brazil squad for fourth World Cup
-
Arsenal on the brink of Premier League title after nervy Burnley win
-
World Cup winner Pavard confirms Marseille exit
-
Trump says holding off on new Iran attack
-
Cuba warns of 'bloodbath' if US attacks; Washington adds sanctions
-
Trump says delaying Iran attack at request of Gulf leaders
-
Cuba warns of 'bloodbath' if US attacks and Washington issues sanctions
-
After mayor's murder, Mexico battles to bring peace
-
Trump admin creates $1.7 bln fund to compensate allies prosecuted under Biden
-
Pelicans name Mosley as coach, two weeks after Magic firing
-
Hyderabad qualify for IPL play-offs along with Gujarat
-
'Girl in the River Main' identified 25 years on, father arrested
-
Musk loses blockbuster OpenAI suit as jury says too late
-
SNC Scandic Coin and Biconomy: Regulated real-world assets meet global trading infrastructure
-
Judge allows gun as evidence in Mangione healthcare exec murder trial
-
First attack on Arab nuclear site sends warning to Gulf, US
-
Oil rises, bond yields weigh on stocks
-
Hormuz tanker traffic edges higher after wartime low
-
Andalusia setback highlights weakness of Spain's ruling Socialists
-
India's Adani to pay $275 mn settlement to US over alleged Iran sanctions violations
-
Middle East tourism pain is Europe's gain
-
UK Labour leadership hopeful reopens Brexit debate
-
PSG's Dembele has treatment for leg issue before Champions League final
-
Spurs must play with 'courage' to seal safety: De Zerbi
-
Hantavirus-hit cruise ship ends deadly voyage
-
Champagne start in Reims for 2028 Tour de France
-
Dogs allowed on new Brigitte Bardot beach in glitzy Cannes
-
Croatia names Modric-led World Cup squad
-
Iran World Cup squad lands in south Turkey for training
-
Mushfiqur ton leaves Pakistan needing record run chase to beat Bangladesh
-
Transport protests hit Kenya over rising fuel prices
-
France unveils architects to transform Louvre
-
Ex-Google man takes reins at under-fire BBC
-
Swatch blames shopping centres for 'problems' with star product launch
-
Carvajal to leave Real Madrid at end of season
-
Stocks drop, oil climbs after fresh Trump warning to Iran
-
Twins wow Cannes with 'mesmeric' tale of Nigeria's rich
-
New Ebola outbreak in DR Congo: What we know
-
Iran Nobel winner discharged from hospital: supporters
-
Spanish court orders 55 mn euro tax refund to Shakira
-
Ryanair flags Iran war uncertainty as annual profit jumps
-
Hearts have bright future despite Scottish title pain: McInnes
-
Fernandes 'proud' to match Premier League assists record
-
Germany set to miss 2030 climate goal: experts
-
G7 finance chiefs meet to seek common stance on unstable ground
-
Hantavirus-hit cruise ship docks in Rotterdam at voyage end
US sinks Iranian warship off Sri Lanka as war spreads
A US submarine torpedoed and sank an Iranian warship off the coast of Sri Lanka on Wednesday, the Pentagon said, as the war launched by the United States and Israel spread to another region.
Chaos also spread within the Middle East with Iran striking ethnic fighters in Iraq, which plunged into a nationwide blackout as evening fell, and Israel issuing new evacuation orders as it pounded the Beirut area in response to Hezbollah.
Off Sri Lanka, an Iranian ship that had been on a friendly visit to India was suddenly sunk by a US submarine, the first such torpedoing since World War II.
The IRIS Dena frigate "thought it was safe in international waters", US Defence Secretary Pete Hegseth told reporters.
Hegseth, who has previously boasted that the war would not be "politically correct", called the strike "quiet death" and said of the United States, "We are fighting to win."
The United States killed at least 87 people, Sri Lankan officials said, with 61 remaining missing. The island nation rescued 32 sailors, many of them wounded, Foreign Minister Vijitha Herath said.
The United States and Israel have struck Iran relentlessly since Saturday when an initial wave of attacks killed Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, the cleric-run nation's supreme leader since 1989.
The official IRNA news agency said that 1,045 military personnel and civilians have been killed, a toll that AFP could not independently verify.
Iran has responded by firing a barrage of missiles and drones across the region, and the Revolutionary Guards announced Wednesday that they had taken "complete control" of the Strait of Hormuz, the narrow chokepoint into the Gulf through which a quarter of the world's crude oil flows.
Oil tanker transits through the strait have plunged by 90 percent, energy market intelligence firm Kpler said, with some ships choosing to avoid the route.
Iranian strikes have caused fear and damage in Gulf cities such as Dubai and Riyadh, which have long taken pride in their safety from the tumult of the region.
- Missile over Turkey -
In another first, a missile launched from Iran was destroyed by NATO's air defence system while heading towards Turkey's airspace, drawing condemnation from Ankara and NATO.
A Turkish official later told AFP that Turkey was not the target of the missile, which "veered off course" and had been aimed at a British base in Cyprus.
Turkey, which has criticised the war, summoned the Iranian ambassador. Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan told his Iranian counterpart Abbas Araghchi in a phone call that "any steps that could lead to the spread of conflict should be avoided".
Iran also struck in northern Iraq's autonomous Kurdish area, killing a member from an exiled Iranian Kurdish group, a representative said, amid reports that the United States was looking to arm the guerrillas to infiltrate Iran.
"Separatist groups should not think that a breeze has blown and try to take action," said Ali Larijani, secretary of Iran's Supreme National Security Council.
"We will not tolerate them in any way."
Two pro-Iran fighters were killed in a separate strike on their base inside Iraq.
Iraq was later hit by a total electricity blackout. It was not clear if it was connected to the war, with the electricity ministry blaming a sudden drop in gas supplies to a key power plant.
- Warning on Lebanon -
In Lebanon, which Hezbollah dragged into the war, strikes have so far killed 75 people and displaced more than 83,000 since the start of the new round of fighting, officials said Wednesday.
Israel told people living south of the Litani river -- an area of hundreds of square kilometres -- to leave, saying that the army was "compelled to take military action" against Hezbollah there.
French President Emmanuel Macron, in a telephone call with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, warned Israel against a ground offensive and to "preserve Lebanon's territorial integrity", the French leader wrote on X.
AFP video footage from Wednesday showed what appear to be two Israeli tanks amid residential buildings in Khiam, about six kilometres from the border.
Hezbollah said its fighters had engaged Israeli troops in "direct" clashes there, after having previously launched a swarm of drones at a naval base in Tel Aviv.
Israeli air strikes hit a hotel in Hazmieh -- the first reported attack on the predominantly Christian area in Beirut's suburbs, which is near the presidential palace and several foreign embassies.
Iran's military threatened to target Israeli embassies worldwide if Israel were to attack Tehran's mission in Lebanon.
- Gulf nations intercept missiles -
Saudi Arabia said it intercepted a series of cruise missiles as well as a drone targeting its huge Ras Tanura refinery. Drones a day before hit near the US consulate in Dubai, starting a fire, and a missile hit the US military base at Al-Udeid in Qatar.
The UAE and Qatar both said they had intercepted drone and missile salvos on Wednesday, with Abu Dhabi saying it had been targeted by three ballistic missiles and 129 drones, intercepting all but eight drones.
Kuwait has also been struck, with the health ministry announcing the death of an 11-year-old girl killed after she was hit by falling shrapnel.
Thirteen people, seven of them civilians, have been killed in countries around the Gulf since the war began.
The Pentagon has announced the deaths of six US service members since Saturday, four of them in Kuwait.
Qatar's premier Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman Al Thani accused Iran of dragging its Gulf neighbours into a "war that is not theirs" in a call with Iran's top diplomat.
The United States has encouraged all Americans to leave the region if they could find commercial flights, though air travel has been severely disrupted, while governments including Britain and France sent chartered flights to get their citizens out.
burs/sct/sst
P.Costa--AMWN