-
World Cup winner Pavard confirms Marseille exit
-
Trump says holding off on new Iran attack
-
Cuba warns of 'bloodbath' if US attacks; Washington adds sanctions
-
Trump says delaying Iran attack at request of Gulf leaders
-
Cuba warns of 'bloodbath' if US attacks and Washington issues sanctions
-
After mayor's murder, Mexico battles to bring peace
-
Trump admin creates $1.7 bln fund to compensate allies prosecuted under Biden
-
Pelicans name Mosley as coach, two weeks after Magic firing
-
Hyderabad qualify for IPL play-offs along with Gujarat
-
'Girl in the River Main' identified 25 years on, father arrested
-
Musk loses blockbuster OpenAI suit as jury says too late
-
SNC Scandic Coin and Biconomy: Regulated real-world assets meet global trading infrastructure
-
Judge allows gun as evidence in Mangione healthcare exec murder trial
-
First attack on Arab nuclear site sends warning to Gulf, US
-
Oil rises, bond yields weigh on stocks
-
Hormuz tanker traffic edges higher after wartime low
-
Andalusia setback highlights weakness of Spain's ruling Socialists
-
India's Adani to pay $275 mn settlement to US over alleged Iran sanctions violations
-
Middle East tourism pain is Europe's gain
-
UK Labour leadership hopeful reopens Brexit debate
-
PSG's Dembele has treatment for leg issue before Champions League final
-
Spurs must play with 'courage' to seal safety: De Zerbi
-
Hantavirus-hit cruise ship ends deadly voyage
-
Champagne start in Reims for 2028 Tour de France
-
Dogs allowed on new Brigitte Bardot beach in glitzy Cannes
-
Croatia names Modric-led World Cup squad
-
Iran World Cup squad lands in south Turkey for training
-
Mushfiqur ton leaves Pakistan needing record run chase to beat Bangladesh
-
Transport protests hit Kenya over rising fuel prices
-
France unveils architects to transform Louvre
-
Ex-Google man takes reins at under-fire BBC
-
Swatch blames shopping centres for 'problems' with star product launch
-
Carvajal to leave Real Madrid at end of season
-
Stocks drop, oil climbs after fresh Trump warning to Iran
-
Twins wow Cannes with 'mesmeric' tale of Nigeria's rich
-
New Ebola outbreak in DR Congo: What we know
-
Iran Nobel winner discharged from hospital: supporters
-
Spanish court orders 55 mn euro tax refund to Shakira
-
Ryanair flags Iran war uncertainty as annual profit jumps
-
Hearts have bright future despite Scottish title pain: McInnes
-
Fernandes 'proud' to match Premier League assists record
-
Germany set to miss 2030 climate goal: experts
-
G7 finance chiefs meet to seek common stance on unstable ground
-
Hantavirus-hit cruise ship docks in Rotterdam at voyage end
-
Philippines swears in senators for VP Duterte's impeachment trial
-
Iran's World Cup football team leaves for Turkey: media
-
Hantavirus-hit cruise ship steams towards Rotterdam at voyage end
-
Japan arrests Americans over stunt at baby monkey Punch's zoo
-
Trump says 'clock ticking' for Iran as peace negotiations stall
-
Hong Kong court hears closing arguments in Tiananmen activists' trial
Wary European states pledge military aid for Cyprus, Gulf
Wary of getting directly involved in the US-Israeli war with Iran, European countries are nevertheless being drawn into the conflict following attacks on Cyprus and Western allies in the Gulf.
While underlining their "defensive" aims, several European countries have now pledged military assistance to EU member Cyprus as the Middle East conflict intensifies and widens.
Britain, Greece and Portugal have gone further by also allowing the US military to use their bases under certain conditions.
Spain has ruled this out and Italy has said it has not received any such request.
"We are not at war and we do not want to join the war," Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni told RTL 102.5 radio on Thursday.
Here are the main military assistance pledges from Europe so far:
- Britain -
An Iranian-made unmanned drone struck the runway at the British air force base at Akrotiri in Cyprus on Monday.
Other drones, probably launched by Iran-backed military group Hezbollah from Lebanon, have been intercepted.
Britain said it it sending a warship, HMS Dragon, fitted with a Sea Viper missile system able to launch eight missiles in under 10 seconds.
It is also deploying Wildcat helicopters equipped with Martlet missiles that can take down drones.
British Prime Minister Keir Starmer initially refused to have any role in the war but later agreed to a US request to use two British military bases for a "specific and limited defensive purpose".
In a joint statement on Sunday, Britain, France and Germany have said they are ready to take "defensive action" following Iran's attacks on several Gulf states.
Starmer's initial refusal incurred the wrath of US President Donald Trump.
"This is not Winston Churchill that we're dealing with," Trump said on Tuesday.
- France -
France is sending its flagship aircraft carrier -- the Charles de Gaulle -- to the eastern Mediterranean.
It has 20 Rafale fighter jets on board along with two Hawkeye radar aircraft.
French President Emmanuel Macron has also said Paris will dispatch additional air defence units to Cyprus.
He said that "Rafale jets, air-defence systems and airborne radar aircraft" were being deployed in the region.
France has already deployed its frigate, the Languedoc, off Cyprus.
The ship used its Aster missiles to shoot down drones fired from Yemen by Iran-allied Huthi rebels targeting vessels in the Red Sea in December 2023.
- Greece -
Greece has sent two frigates and four F-16 fighter jets to Cyprus.
It has also allowed the US to use its base in Souda Bay in Crete.
- Italy -
Rome has said it will send "naval assets" to Cyprus in the coming days along with France, the Netherlands and Spain.
Italy has also pledged "air-defence, anti-drone and anti-missile systems" to partners in the Gulf.
Italian media have reported that the assistance could include the SAMP/T air defence system.
Italy says it has not received any US requests to use its bases and such a move would likely require parliamentary approval.
- Portugal -
The Portuguese government has given the go-ahead for the US to use its Lajes base in the Azores as part of operations targeting Iran but only with certain conditions.
Prime Minister Luis Montenegro said on Wednesday that permission had been granted "on the understanding that these operations are defensive or retaliatory in nature, that they are necessary and proportionate, and that they target exclusively military objectives".
- Spain -
Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez has made clear his opposition to the war in a verbal bust-up with Trump.
Madrid has ruled out allowing US military use of Spain's bases, prompting a threat from Trump to sever all trade ties with Spain.
Spain has nevertheless said it will send its most advanced frigate -- the Cristobal Colon -- to protect Cyprus.
The defence ministry said on Thursday that the warship would "offer protection and aerial defence" and "support any evacuation of civilians".
L.Miller--AMWN