-
Trump says 'clock ticking' for Iran as peace negotiations stall
-
Hong Kong court hears closing arguments in Tiananmen activists' trial
-
World Cup duo Ghana, Cape Verde not among AFCON top seeds
-
African players in Europe: Daring Semenyo wins final for City
-
Kenya's new poaching problem: smuggling Giant Harvester Ants
-
WHO kicks off annual assembly amid hantavirus, Ebola crises
-
S. Korean blockbuster 'Hope' underscores growing film ambition
-
Train driver charged after deadly Bangkok bus collision
-
Angry Chinese table tennis fans demand apology for flag gaffe
-
India's lifeline ferry across strategic archipelago
-
Encroaching world threatens India's last 'uncontacted' tribe
-
India's strategic $9 bn megaport plan for pristine island
-
In Tierra del Fuego, a hunt for the rodent carrier of hantavirus
-
Mitchell leads Cavs past top-seeded Detroit into NBA East finals
-
China's April consumption, factory output growth slowest in years
-
Asian stocks sink, oil rises on US-Iran deadlock
-
Cleveland Cavaliers eliminate top-seeded Detroit from NBA playoffs
-
Who could be the 2026 World Cup's breakout star?
-
Humble PGA champ Rai celebrates English, Indian, Kenyan heritage
-
Hantavirus-hit cruise ship nears end of voyage, to dock in Rotterdam
-
He said, she said, AI said: Wall Street sex scandal rivets and confounds
-
UN General Assembly to take up climate change 'obligations' resolution
-
Four takeaways from Musk vs OpenAI trial
-
Jury to decide fate of Musk's blockbuster suit against OpenAI
-
Frustrated McIlroy drops F-bomb in exchange with PGA heckler
-
Defending champion Palou storms to Indy 500 pole
-
Messi shines as Inter Miami finally win at new stadium
-
Shai Gilgeous-Alexander wins second straight NBA MVP award
-
White House mass prayer event seeks to reclaim US Christian roots
-
International dive group joins Maldives search for missing Italians
-
'Staggering' Iran toll drives up global executions: Amnesty
-
Agronomics Limited Announces Net Asset Value Calculation as at 31 March 2026
-
Santa Barbara Schools Sexual Assault Complaint by Veen Firm
-
InterContinental Hotels Group PLC Announces Transaction in Own Shares - May 18
-
Rai wins first major at PGA with back-nine birdie blitz
-
Woad bags second LPGA title at Queen City Championship
-
Lebanon says Israeli strikes kill 7 as Hezbollah condemns talks
-
Revived La Rochelle trounce Top 14 leaders Toulouse
-
PSG beaten by Paris FC in Ligue 1 as Lille qualify for Champions League
-
Griezmann apologetic on emotional Atletico Madrid farewell
-
Raging Neymar forced off by refereeing error as Santos lose
-
Sinner extends Masters tournament streak on home turf, eyes French Open
-
Canadian cruise passenger confirmed positive for hantavirus
-
England see off gutsy France to clinch another Women's Six Nations
-
Sevilla safe despite Real Madrid defeat, Mallorca on brink
-
UK police detail arrests after far-right rally and counter demo
-
Smalley tees off with PGA lead and stars in hot pursuit
-
Trump issues dire warning to Iran to accept peace deal
-
West Ham on brink of Premier League relegation, Man Utd seal third
-
Bulgaria's Eurovision winner flies home to rapturous welcome
Hezbollah's 'existential' war against Israel could be its last
Hezbollah suffered heavy losses in a war with Israel more than a year ago, but the Shia movement has now regrouped only to end up fighting what it has called an "existential battle" and which some warn could be its last.
Lebanon was drawn into the Middle East war last week when the militant group, funded and armed by Iran, attacked Israel in response to the killing of Iran's supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei in US-Israeli strikes.
Israel, which had continued to strike targets in Lebanon even before the war, despite a 2024 ceasefire with Hezbollah, has launched deadly air attacks, sent ground troops into border areas and issued evacuation warnings that have displaced hundreds of thousands of people.
On Friday, Hezbollah chief Naim Qassem said the movement was ready for a long confrontation.
"This is an existential battle... we will not allow the enemy to achieve its goal of eliminating our existence," he said.
A Hezbollah source requesting anonymity said the group had gone "all in".
Either Hezbollah "is finished or it establishes a new equation involving Israel's complete withdrawal from Lebanon and a halt to its attacks", he told AFP.
The source said Hezbollah decided to fight months ago but was waiting for a change in the regional status quo "which it found in the US-Israeli war on Iran".
The group, he added, "knows well that whatever the outcome of that war, its turn would come and Israel would not hesitate to launch a broad campaign against it".
- 'Absorbed shocks' -
Israel kept striking Lebanon after the 2024 ceasefire, killing around 500 people including many fighters from Hezbollah, which initially refrained from retaliating.
Hezbollah "absorbed shocks after the previous war, bandaged its wounds... and reorganised its ranks. And today it is fighting a battle that it is prepared for", the group's source said.
Hezbollah's leadership has denied the battle's timing was linked to the Iran war, instead saying it lost patience with Israeli attacks.
But that hasn't convinced officials or swathes of the population who have expressed increasing anger at the group for dragging Lebanon into a new war.
Military expert Hassan Jouni said that for Hezbollah "this is an existential battle... so it will fight until the last breath".
"For Israel, this is the final battle against Hezbollah," he said, noting the current circumstances, which Israel sees an opportunity to destroy its foe, may not reappear.
He pointed to factors including the favourable regional and international situation under "the administration of US President Donald Trump", and a badly weakened Iran.
Lebanese authorities committed to disarming Hezbollah after the 2024 ceasefire and the army had been dismantling the group's infrastructure near the Israeli border.
Last week, Beirut banned Hezbollah's military and security activities, and Lebanese President Joseph Aoun has accused Hezbollah of working to "collapse" the state "for the sake of the Iranian regime's calculations".
- 'Finished' -
Until just before Hezbollah entered the conflict, Lebanese officials were unaware of the group's intentions.
Shortly before the first rockets were fired on March 2, Hezbollah sent a delegation to inform its ally parliament speaker Nabih Berri, a source familiar with the meeting told AFP on condition of anonymity.
Hezbollah surprised friends and foes with its attacks, after the battering its leadership and arsenal took in the 2024 conflict, and the loss of its major supply route through Syria with the fall of longtime ruler Bashar al-Assad.
Last week, the Israeli military's international spokesman Lieutenant Colonel Nadav Shoshani said Hezbollah still has "significant amounts of weapons that endanger Israeli civilians".
Despite the already enormous cost to Lebanon in destruction and displacement, mainly from areas seen as Hezbollah heartlands where the group is usually celebrated as victorious, it has insisted on carrying on.
President Aoun has received no response to his proposal of direct negotiations with Israel, which has kept up threats of further destruction unless authorities disarm Hezbollah and stop its attacks.
To academic and lawyer Ali Mourad, "Hezbollah's priority was to open a Lebanese front in the service of the Iranian agenda, after holding back" since 2024.
The group is fighting "an existential battle on two fronts: the Lebanese front and its (Iranian) ally's political, ideological and strategic front", he told AFP.
"Hezbollah is finished as a regional power and as a strategic weapon" for Iran, he added, predicting that "this war will not end in victory" for the group.
A.Mahlangu--AMWN