-
UK PM unveils plan to help rough sleepers off streets by Christmas
-
Texas Counseling Center Highlights the Role of Counseling in Supporting Immigration Psychological Evaluations
-
Tokyo opposes US sanctions on Japanese ICC chief Akane
-
Pakistan govt to challenge court on moving ex-PM Khan to private hospital
-
Humanoid-maker Unitree surges more than 600% on Shanghai debut
-
India four wickets away from victory in Sri Lanka Test
-
Bowling great Donald warns Bangladesh that Australia will hit back hard
-
Belgian wildfire 'encircled' but situation still 'complicated'
-
STARPRIME Completes Beta Testing of Market-Maker Model for Retail Brokers
-
Southern African mothers plead for sons lured to Russia's war
-
Campaigns kick off in Nigerian presidential race
-
Palestinian-American hoists US flag on home besieged by settlers
-
Aussie Rules club suspends five players for drinking, bringing women to hotel
-
Freedom Holding Marks New Türkiye Milestone as Freedom Yatırım Secures Brokerage License
-
Trump pauses 50% tariffs on Canadian goods for three days
-
Humanoid resources: China's robots search for workforce breakthrough
-
Five Premier League stars to watch this season
-
China goes rural with data centres in quest to power AI
-
China's robots open to opportunities in search of commercial breakthrough
-
Trump pauses planned 50% tariffs on Canadian goods for three days
-
Tech leads losses as Asian stocks track Wall St selloff
-
Ikitau, Suaalii named in Australia squad for Argentina Tests
-
US, South Korea cut drills short after Trump criticism
-
'American Doctor' shows brutality of conflict in Gaza
-
Italian scientists bet on octopus to fight crab invasion
-
New Zealand blocks lawsuits against firms over climate harm
-
New 'Insidious' reflects anxiety of being a new parent: director
-
Aussie Rules club suspends five players amid police probe
-
No.1 Sabalenka slams Wang to advance at Cincinnati
-
No.1 Sabalenka slams Wang to power ahead in Cincinnati
-
Turkey rejects Israeli claims after strike on Syria air base
-
Israel blames Turkey after strike on Syria air base
-
Bioz and InvivoGen Elevate Scientific Discovery with an Expanded Digital Research Experience
-
BioNxt Advances Cladribine Clinical Program with Completion of the Investigational Medicinal Product Dossier (IMPD) Ahead of Human Clinical Studies
-
Empire Metals Limited Announces MRE Upgrade at Pitfield Titanium Project
-
Elevate Acquires Lupl
-
InterContinental Hotels Group PLC Announces Transaction in Own Shares - August 19
-
Caldwell Strengthens Life Sciences and Healthcare Practice with Addition of Olga Kozlova in Dubai
-
Best Place to Buy Gold IRA in 2026 (Guide Released)
-
Climate change main driver of European ocean warming: study
-
Trump, Carney talk as Canada seeks to hold off new US tariffs
-
Gauff finds a way into the Cincinnati fourth round
-
NASA images reveal crater left by SpaceX rocket's Moon crash
-
ZZ Top drummer Frank Beard dies at age 77
-
UN atomic watchdog says found tons of nuclear material at Syria site
-
Bayern's Musiala reveals 'neurological disorder' after on-field collapse
-
Ecuadoran diplomat enters race to be next UN chief
-
Angelique Kidjo immortalised on Hollywood Walk of Fame
-
US sanctions ICC chief Tomoko Akane of Japan
-
France to expel two Iranian diplomats: foreign minister
Israel PM vows 'harsh action' against soldier vandalising Jesus statue in Lebanon
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu vowed "harsh action" on Monday against a soldier caught on camera vandalising a statue of Jesus Christ in southern Lebanon.
The photo, which the military determined was authentic after it spread online, shows an Israeli soldier using a sledgehammer to strike the head of a statue of a crucified Jesus that had fallen off a cross.
The sculpture was located in the Christian village of Debl in south Lebanon, near the border with Israel, the local municipality told AFP, but officials could not say whether it had been damaged.
AFP geolocated the image to confirm it was taken in Debl, but is currently unable to access the village.
"I was stunned and saddened to learn that an IDF soldier damaged a Catholic religious icon in southern Lebanon," Netanyahu wrote on X.
"I condemn the act in the strongest terms. Military authorities are conducting a criminal probe of the matter and will take appropriately harsh disciplinary action against the offender," he added.
Israel has conducted airstrikes across Lebanon and invaded the country's south after Hezbollah entered the Middle East war in support of its backer Iran on March 2.
The fighting killed nearly 2,300 people and displaced more than a million before a ceasefire came into effect last week. Israel has lost 15 soldiers in the war.
- 'Profound indignation -
The military said it had determined after an investigation that the image circulating on social media was genuine and showed an Israeli soldier operating in southern Lebanon.
Checks carried out by AFP using detection tools suggested the image was likely genuine, though there were other manipulated photos circulating on social media.
The Israeli military said in a post on its official X account that it viewed the incident with "great severity", adding that the "soldier's conduct is wholly inconsistent with the values expected of its troops".
The military said "appropriate measures will be taken against those involved" but did not go into further detail.
It said it is working with the community to "restore the statue to its place".
The Assembly of Catholic Ordinaries of the Holy Land in a statement published by the Latin Patriarchate of Jerusalem expressed "its profound indignation and unreserved condemnation".
"This act constitutes a grave affront to the Christian faith and adds to other reported incidents of desecration of Christian symbols by IDF soldiers in southern Lebanon," the statement said.
"The Assembly calls for immediate and decisive disciplinary action, a credible process of accountability, and clear assurances that such conduct will neither be tolerated nor repeated."
"For this reason, the Assembly renews, with urgency, its call to bring to an end the war that has tormented this region for far too long."
Israeli Foreign Minister Gideon Saar condemned the conduct as "shameful and disgraceful".
"I am confident that necessary severe measures will be taken against whoever committed this ugly act," he wrote on X.
"We apologise for this incident and to every Christian whose feelings were hurt."
Israeli troops remain in southern Lebanon despite the ceasefire.
Netanyahu last month was drawn into a row around religion and forced to defend himself after he said that Jesus had "no advantage" over Mongolian conqueror Genghis Khan.
A.Rodriguezv--AMWN