-
Ecuadoran diplomat enters race to be next UN chief
-
Angelique Kidjo immortalised on Hollywood Walk of Fame
-
US sanctions ICC chief Tomoko Akane of Japan
-
France to expel two Iranian diplomats: foreign minister
-
US moves to open vast tracts of pristine forests to logging
-
Spain's Granada closes iconic Alhambra as new quake hits
-
US sanctions International Criminal Court chief Tomoko Akane of Japan
-
Venus, Stephens, Monfils named among US Open wild cards
-
Meta hooked children and misled public: prosecutors
-
Rodri joins La Liga champions Barcelona from Manchester City
-
France's first women's rights minister Yvette Roudy dies, aged 97
-
Disney, ABC sue US regulator over threat to broadcast licenses
-
French producer Nicolas Altmayer, Dior PR chief Favier die in car crash
-
Trump, Carney hold talks as new US tariffs on Canada loom
-
Bezos consortium bought nearly 40 percent of Liverpool: report
-
Germany opens new drone research centre as security threats mount
-
Trump says no Iran talks planned, claims Hormuz 'new US territory'
-
How only a few tree species drive Amazon forest recovery
-
Canada seeks to avert new US tariffs as deadline looms
-
Ivonne A-Baki enters race to be next UN chief
-
US primaries test Democrat comeback hopes in Trump stronghold
-
Ukraine says Russian strike kills 10 in northeast region
-
Scientists discover how narwhals grow nature's only straight tusk
-
Meta in court over child social media addiction
-
DR Congo Ebola outbreak 'far from being under control': WHO chief
-
Vieira appointed Senegal head coach after World Cup disappointment
-
Firefighters in 'decisive' push to encircle Belgian wildfire
-
F1's Albon re-signs with Williams for 2027
-
Tribal Partners with ServiceNow to Empower Enterprise Teams to Build and Deploy Apps & Agents
-
Borderless.xyz Deepens Africa Coverage as CrissCross Goes Live on Its Network
-
Fusion Markets Extends Negative Balance Protection to Clients Globally
-
Pakistan court orders ex-PM Khan moved from jail to hospital
-
India close on victory in first Test against Sri Lanka
-
'Lonely place': Black UK academics slam racism after Arday's death
-
Three lightly injured as new quake hits Spain's Granada
-
UK PM says not embarrassed by hoax messages with fake Trump aide
-
Syria, US say Israel struck military air base in Idlib province
-
West Bank siege exposes Israel army inaction on settler violence
-
France probes Russian disinfo campaign against centrist candidates
-
Four-time champion Roglic to ride Vuelta after training crash
-
Stocks mostly drop as Mideast hopes dim, interest rates rise
-
Ukrainian convicted in Germany over Russian sabotage plot
-
Bayern's Musiala returns to training after on-field collapse
-
Beleaguered FIFA chief Infantino rids himself of critic Lamour
-
China's Baidu, betting on AI, posts fifth straight quarterly revenue drop
-
Kane confirms Bayern extension talks set to start
-
German farmers warn of drought toll on grain harvest
-
Asian allies stress 'critical' US cooperation as Trump slashes Korea drills
-
Pant fastest to 100 sixes as India set Sri Lanka 372 to win first Test
-
Pakistan Supreme Court orders ex-PM Khan moved from jail to hospital
Race to find port for cruise ship battling deadly rodent virus
Health authorities raced Tuesday to find a port for a cruise ship battling a hantavirus outbreak, as it remained off the West African coast with passengers isolating after three people died.
The World Health Organization said the MV Hondius could head from Cape Verde to Spain's Canary Islands, though Spanish authorities said they wanted health data from the expedition vessel before opening up a port.
The ship had been on an adventure cruise from Ushuaia in Argentina to Cape Verde off west Africa. It has been at the centre of an international alert since Saturday after it was revealed that the rare disease -- spread from infected rodents typically through urine, droppings and saliva -- was suspected in three deaths.
The priority now is to evacuate two sick crew members who require urgent care -- potentially to the Netherlands -- and "then the ship can move", WHO epidemic and pandemic preparedness and prevention director Maria Van Kerkhove said in Geneva.
So far, two hantavirus cases have been confirmed -- including in one of the fatalities -- with five further suspected cases among the 147 passengers and crew, the WHO said.
Three of those seven have died, one was critically ill and three had reported milder symptoms, including one who is now asymptomatic, it said.
One of the dead, a Dutch woman, had left the ship at the Atlantic island of Saint Helena and had flown to Johannesburg where she died on April 26. The WHO said it was trying to contact people who were on the same flight.
Passengers and crew have meanwhile been in isolation on the MV Hondius, operated by Dutch company Oceanwide Expeditions, after Cape Verde authorities barred it from docking.
- Human-to-human transmission? -
According to Van Kerkhove, Spanish authorities had "said that they will welcome the ship to do... a full epidemiologic investigation". They would also conduct a "full disinfection of the ship and... assess the risk of the passengers."
Spain's health ministry said that a decision on where to send the vessel would be based "on the epidemiological data collected from the ship during its stopover in Cape Verde". The Canary Islands government said it wanted the ship sent to mainland Spain.
Passengers from Britain, Spain and the United States, as well as crew largely from the Philippines, were among 23 nationalities on the MV Hondius.
The WHO was scrambling for answers about how hantavirus had appeared on the ship, which set off from from Ushuaia on April 1.
The first person who died developed symptoms on April 6, according to the UN health agency which said it was alerted on Saturday.
Human-to-human transmission has only been reported in previous outbreaks of one specific hantavirus called Andes virus, which circulates in South America.
Van Kerkhove said the virus species had yet to be confirmed, but highlighted that WHO had been told "there are no rats on board" the ship.
South African researchers were working sequencing the data, said Van Kerkhove, who added that "our working assumption is that it is the Andes virus".
"We do believe that there may be some human-to-human transmission that is happening among the really close contacts".
- Contact tracing -
The first two people to die were a Dutch couple -- a man who died on April 11 and his wife who died after she disembarked in Saint Helena to accompany his body.
The wife was suffering from "gastrointestinal symptoms" and "deteriorated" during a flight to Johannesburg on April 25, the WHO said. She died the following day.
Van Kerkhove said contact tracing had been initiated for people on the flight. She stressed that human-to-human transmission typically only happened "among very close contacts".
The ship's operator said a British passenger was in intensive care in Johannesburg. The two crew still on board -- one British and one Dutch -- needed urgent care, WHO said.
Van Kerkhove said the typical incubation period for the hantavirus was between one and six weeks, leading the WHO to believe that the Dutch couple, who had been travelling in South America, "were infected off the ship".
The Hondius, she highlighted, was an expedition vessel, with passengers going ashore on Atlantic islands to do birdwatching and other activities -- meaning there could be "some source of infection on the islands".
The WHO has said the risk to the global population from the outbreak is "low".
S.F.Warren--AMWN