-
US pauses construction of border project in Texas national park
-
Discord suspends livestreams in Brazil after teen's suicide
-
Thousands mourn dead black academic in London vigil
-
Tupac Shakur's accused killer was out for 'revenge', jury hears
-
South Africa Test series a lot tougher than a World Cup says All Blacks coach Rennie
-
Netanyahu presses role for US general in Hamas disarmament
-
Coventry sign Nigeria striker Awoniyi from Forest
-
US-Palestinian says 'terrified' as he returns to property besieged by settlers
-
TripleDart tops $7 million ARR with AI-led growth, reports 50 per cent EBIT margin
-
Amboss Opens Affiliate Program: Earn Recurring Bitcoin Commissions by Growing Bitcoin Payments
-
Bipartisan backlash as Trump scales back US-South Korea drills
-
Netanyahu, Kushner discuss US general for Hamas disarmament: Israeli official
-
'Never seen one like it': German pensioners flee wildfire
-
Scottish FA withdraws support for FIFA boss Infantino
-
Ipswich sign Enciso and Ouattara in double raid on Strasbourg
-
Belgium fire halts short of German border, but not 'contained'
-
UN laments 'unacceptable' toll of 350 aid workers killed in 2025
-
Number one Shi suffers shock first-round exit at badminton worlds
-
Former child star actress Hayden Panettiere dead at 36
-
Kolisi and Nche may miss South Africa Test against New Zealand
-
Pakistan captain Babar Azam doubtful for England opener
-
Trump threatens Oman: latest developments in US-Iran war
-
Pentagon inks Tomahawk deal amid reports of missile shortfall
-
Stocks lower as Hormuz concerns and high oil prices persist
-
Rain halts India push after Dinusha century lifts Sri Lanka
-
Crowds turn out for 'Total Eclipse' singer Bonnie Tyler's funeral
-
Dinusha hits century as Sri Lanka post 284 in first India Test
-
Mali jails junta-critic broadcaster, influencer for seven years
-
Stocks steady as investors weigh US rate path
-
'Nowhere to run': Indonesian quake survivors plead for help
-
Taiwan's leader says government to propose record defence spending for 2027
-
Belgium fire makes 'limited' spread overnight, more help on way
-
Cambridge head slams 'feeding frenzy' over dead academic
-
Vingegaard brings curtain down on season
-
Ebola outbreak now DR Congo's deadliest ever
-
Dickwella, Dinusha hit fifties as Sri Lanka fight back
-
Germany's coalition split over putting climate in constitution
-
Bangladesh Test cricket reboot delivers in style with historic win
-
Ukraine badminton star: 'How can you feel normal when bombs are falling?'
-
Virgin moves closer to launching Eurostar rival in 2030
-
Rain brings respite as Belgium wrestles massive wildfire
-
Indian marble waste dump becomes unlikely tourist attraction
-
Most stocks rise as US data ease rate fears but fuel economic worries
-
Coach says Australia 'let standards slip' in shock Bangladesh loss
-
India take control of Galle Test as Sri Lanka slump to 99-5
-
Hawaii recovery efforts begin as Lala downgraded, moves west
-
Australia's mushroom murderer appeals conviction
-
Food safety crackdown snares Mumbai's famed restaurants
-
The Nigerian fishing community being eaten up by the Atlantic
-
Trump says US scaling back military drills with Seoul hours before start
Trump admin abandons $1.8 bn fund to compensate supporters
The Justice Department on Tuesday dropped a contentious plan to create a $1.8 billion compensation program that critics had denounced as a "slush fund" for President Donald Trump's political allies.
"We are not moving forward with the fund. Period," Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche said during testimony before the House Appropriations Committee.
It's an about-face for one of Trump's most divisive second-term initiatives, which had drawn criticism from Democrats, legal experts and even some members of Congress in the president's own Republican Party.
A federal judge had already temporarily blocked the White House from moving ahead with the "anti-weaponization fund" designed to compensate people who claimed to have been treated unfairly by the US government.
US District Judge Leonie Brinkema temporarily barred the administration last week from taking any further action to create or operate the fund while she considered imposing a longer-lasting pause.
The fund was created by the Justice Department as part of an extraordinary settlement of Trump's civil lawsuit against the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) over the leak of his tax returns by a former government contractor.
An addendum to the settlement bars the IRS from pursuing Trump, his family or companies for back tax claims, and Blanche, Trump's former personal attorney, said that remains in place.
"Nothing has changed with that," he said.
Under the terms of the settlement, the IRS is "forever barred" from pursuing any tax claims against Trump, his family or his businesses that were pending as of the May 18 settlement date.
Trump is the first US president in recent times to decline to publicly release his tax returns. He has claimed repeatedly that they are being audited by the IRS.
The Trump administration said the fund was intended to compensate people who suffered from government "weaponization" and "lawfare" -- Trump's terms for what he says was politically motivated targeting of conservatives and his supporters.
But opponents said the fund had no clear legal basis, little public oversight and could be used to reward loyalists, including defendants convicted of crimes related to the January 6, 2021, assault on the US Capitol by Trump supporters.
Trump, on his first day back in office last year, granted clemency to more than 1,500 people convicted over the Capitol assault, when his supporters attacked Congress in an effort to overturn Joe Biden's 2020 election victory.
The administration has also begun removing Justice Department press releases about January 6 prosecutions, calling them "partisan propaganda."
But the fund had become politically toxic even among some Republicans.
Senate Republican leaders postponed a vote on a major bill funding Immigration and Customs Enforcement and the Border Patrol partly because of concerns that the fund could allow January 6 defendants to receive taxpayer money.
Y.Aukaiv--AMWN