-
US pauses construction of border project in Texas national park
-
Discord suspends livestreams in Brazil after teen's suicide
-
Thousands mourn dead black academic in London vigil
-
Tupac Shakur's accused killer was out for 'revenge', jury hears
-
South Africa Test series a lot tougher than a World Cup says All Blacks coach Rennie
-
Netanyahu presses role for US general in Hamas disarmament
-
Coventry sign Nigeria striker Awoniyi from Forest
-
US-Palestinian says 'terrified' as he returns to property besieged by settlers
-
TripleDart tops $7 million ARR with AI-led growth, reports 50 per cent EBIT margin
-
Amboss Opens Affiliate Program: Earn Recurring Bitcoin Commissions by Growing Bitcoin Payments
-
Bipartisan backlash as Trump scales back US-South Korea drills
-
Netanyahu, Kushner discuss US general for Hamas disarmament: Israeli official
-
'Never seen one like it': German pensioners flee wildfire
-
Scottish FA withdraws support for FIFA boss Infantino
-
Ipswich sign Enciso and Ouattara in double raid on Strasbourg
-
Belgium fire halts short of German border, but not 'contained'
-
UN laments 'unacceptable' toll of 350 aid workers killed in 2025
-
Number one Shi suffers shock first-round exit at badminton worlds
-
Former child star actress Hayden Panettiere dead at 36
-
Kolisi and Nche may miss South Africa Test against New Zealand
-
Pakistan captain Babar Azam doubtful for England opener
-
Trump threatens Oman: latest developments in US-Iran war
-
Pentagon inks Tomahawk deal amid reports of missile shortfall
-
Stocks lower as Hormuz concerns and high oil prices persist
-
Rain halts India push after Dinusha century lifts Sri Lanka
-
Crowds turn out for 'Total Eclipse' singer Bonnie Tyler's funeral
-
Dinusha hits century as Sri Lanka post 284 in first India Test
-
Mali jails junta-critic broadcaster, influencer for seven years
-
Stocks steady as investors weigh US rate path
-
'Nowhere to run': Indonesian quake survivors plead for help
-
Taiwan's leader says government to propose record defence spending for 2027
-
Belgium fire makes 'limited' spread overnight, more help on way
-
Cambridge head slams 'feeding frenzy' over dead academic
-
Vingegaard brings curtain down on season
-
Ebola outbreak now DR Congo's deadliest ever
-
Dickwella, Dinusha hit fifties as Sri Lanka fight back
-
Germany's coalition split over putting climate in constitution
-
Bangladesh Test cricket reboot delivers in style with historic win
-
Ukraine badminton star: 'How can you feel normal when bombs are falling?'
-
Virgin moves closer to launching Eurostar rival in 2030
-
Rain brings respite as Belgium wrestles massive wildfire
-
Indian marble waste dump becomes unlikely tourist attraction
-
Most stocks rise as US data ease rate fears but fuel economic worries
-
Coach says Australia 'let standards slip' in shock Bangladesh loss
-
India take control of Galle Test as Sri Lanka slump to 99-5
-
Hawaii recovery efforts begin as Lala downgraded, moves west
-
Australia's mushroom murderer appeals conviction
-
Food safety crackdown snares Mumbai's famed restaurants
-
The Nigerian fishing community being eaten up by the Atlantic
-
Trump says US scaling back military drills with Seoul hours before start
'Blind spots': drone alert lays bare Lithuania poor shelter access
When a drone threat alert blared out in Lithuania's capital Vilnius urging residents to seek shelter, Ruta Gaskauskaite hurried down to the nearest one, only to discover it was locked.
Squeezed between Russia and Kremlin-allied Belarus, Lithuania has for years been warning of the risks to Russia's Baltic neighbours.
But as Ukraine stepped up its retaliatory strikes on Russian oil hubs in the Baltic Sea and its drones were found straying across the region, the side effects of the war that it had been warning against caught Lithuania off guard.
The alert on May 20 for people to flee underground over a drone in Lithuanian airspace was the starkest reminder in years that emergency planning should be fully operational.
Gaskauskaite found that it was not.
"We have this app ... that says where all the nearby shelters are," the 29-year-old culture project manager told AFP.
"We went to one of them, but it was covered in cobwebs. And it seemed that no one was there".
It was only the third underground shelter marked in the vicinity of her flat that Gaskauskaite managed to get into -- but not without an almost 20-minute wait for it to be unlocked.
The alert was the first time an EU and NATO capital had had to warn its population to take shelter since Russia launched its full-scale invasion of Ukraine in 2022.
- 'Gaps' to be fixed -
Gaskauskaite soon found that her case was not isolated.
After the alert was lifted, accounts of disgruntled residents who had been barred from entering shelters in schools or found them shut started pouring in.
"Unfortunately, that test showed that there are some ... blind spots that we didn't think about," Gaskauskaite said.
Problems were so commonplace that Lithuanian Prime Minister Inga Ruginiene -- who had taken shelter with the country's president and lawmakers -- offered a public apology for communication errors and vowed a review of procedures.
"You cannot be fully prepared for all the situations," Deputy Defence Minister Tomas Godliauskas told AFP, while conceding there are "some gaps that we would like to fix" in Lithuania's planning.
"We have to improve our approach to the shelter system," he said, including knowing how the shelters are managed and who owns them.
But for Godliauskas, a former military man now responsible for national and civil preparedness, the goal is also to train more of Lithuania's 2.8 million citizens for the event of an emergency.
He aims to double the number of shooting ranges from the current 67 so that the army, rifle association members and hunters could practise.
He also wants to roll out a network of modular training facilities that could serve as shelters.
- 'Multi-use shelters' -
That chimed with a pet project of the mayor of Kazlu Ruda, a town of around 6,000 people some 115 kilometres (71 miles) from Vilnius, surrounded by dense forests where NATO soldiers train.
Kazlu Ruda lies some 50 kilometres (31 miles) from the border with Russia's Kaliningrad exclave.
"We don't have real multi-use shelters" for civilians, the mayor, Mantas Varaska, told AFP.
He has been drumming up support for an underground shelter up to 100 metres long that could accommodate 3,000 people and in peacetime host sports venues, gyms and a shooting range.
Varaska pointed at a green expanse stretching along the rail line in the town centre, chosen carefully so that "in the case of emergency, if you even don't have a car, you have to run five minutes to reach a safe place."
He hoped construction could start next year but for now was working to secure funding.
- 'Preparing for the worst' -
At the end of 2024, Lithuania had 6,344 shelters, which could protect 53 percent of the population, the country's National Audit Office said in a report last year.
The distinctive yellow stickers now dot Vilnius and can be seen on the entrances to parking lots, schools, ministries and ordinary basements under the city's Soviet-era apartment blocks.
But problems persist: the report warned that 91 percent of shelters were not accessible to people with disabilities.
It concluded that "the state is not yet ready to protect the entire population in the event of emergencies or war."
Some residents -- like Ruta Gaskauskaite -- decided to take matters in their hands.
Days after the air alert in Vilnius, she gathered with friends to review stockpiles and refresh first aid procedures.
"That's the only thing that makes me calmer, to know that I'm prepared," she said.
"I'm just doing that, preparing myself, just hoping (for) the best, preparing for the worst".
C.Garcia--AMWN