-
Netanyahu presses role for US general in Hamas disarmament
-
Coventry sign Nigeria striker Awoniyi from Forest
-
US-Palestinian says 'terrified' as he returns to property besieged by settlers
-
TripleDart tops $7 million ARR with AI-led growth, reports 50 per cent EBIT margin
-
Amboss Opens Affiliate Program: Earn Recurring Bitcoin Commissions by Growing Bitcoin Payments
-
Bipartisan backlash as Trump scales back US-South Korea drills
-
Netanyahu, Kushner discuss US general for Hamas disarmament: Israeli official
-
'Never seen one like it': German pensioners flee wildfire
-
Scottish FA withdraws support for FIFA boss Infantino
-
Ipswich sign Enciso and Ouattara in double raid on Strasbourg
-
Belgium fire halts short of German border, but not 'contained'
-
UN laments 'unacceptable' toll of 350 aid workers killed in 2025
-
Number one Shi suffers shock first-round exit at badminton worlds
-
Former child star actress Hayden Panettiere dead at 36
-
Kolisi and Nche may miss South Africa Test against New Zealand
-
Pakistan captain Babar Azam doubtful for England opener
-
Trump threatens Oman: latest developments in US-Iran war
-
Pentagon inks Tomahawk deal amid reports of missile shortfall
-
Stocks lower as Hormuz concerns and high oil prices persist
-
Rain halts India push after Dinusha century lifts Sri Lanka
-
Crowds turn out for 'Total Eclipse' singer Bonnie Tyler's funeral
-
Dinusha hits century as Sri Lanka post 284 in first India Test
-
Mali jails junta-critic broadcaster, influencer for seven years
-
Stocks steady as investors weigh US rate path
-
'Nowhere to run': Indonesian quake survivors plead for help
-
Taiwan's leader says government to propose record defence spending for 2027
-
Belgium fire makes 'limited' spread overnight, more help on way
-
Cambridge head slams 'feeding frenzy' over dead academic
-
Vingegaard brings curtain down on season
-
Ebola outbreak now DR Congo's deadliest ever
-
Dickwella, Dinusha hit fifties as Sri Lanka fight back
-
Germany's coalition split over putting climate in constitution
-
Bangladesh Test cricket reboot delivers in style with historic win
-
Ukraine badminton star: 'How can you feel normal when bombs are falling?'
-
Virgin moves closer to launching Eurostar rival in 2030
-
Rain brings respite as Belgium wrestles massive wildfire
-
Indian marble waste dump becomes unlikely tourist attraction
-
Most stocks rise as US data ease rate fears but fuel economic worries
-
Coach says Australia 'let standards slip' in shock Bangladesh loss
-
India take control of Galle Test as Sri Lanka slump to 99-5
-
Hawaii recovery efforts begin as Lala downgraded, moves west
-
Australia's mushroom murderer appeals conviction
-
Food safety crackdown snares Mumbai's famed restaurants
-
The Nigerian fishing community being eaten up by the Atlantic
-
Trump says US scaling back military drills with Seoul hours before start
-
Kushner to meet Netanyahu after talks with Hamas on Gaza plan
-
Nearly 13,000 displaced after deadly Indonesian quake
-
Photos, memories all that remain for Colombia's bereaved after quake
-
Axe hangs over Australian batters after Darwin 'disaster'
-
Sabalenka squeezes out win on sixth match point in Cincinnati
Iran targets Bahrain and Kuwait after renewed US strikes
Iran launched a salvo of missiles at US allies Bahrain and Kuwait on Saturday, after renewed American strikes, drawing a furious response from the Gulf monarchies and further undermining a fragile truce.
Weeks of indirect talks marked by tit-for-tat threats and sporadic strikes have failed to secure a deal to end the Middle East war or reopen the Strait of Hormuz, a chokepoint for Gulf oil and gas shipments.
On Saturday the island kingdom of Bahrain, which hosts the headquarters of the US Fifth Fleet, denounced the latest attacks against its territory and that of Kuwait.
US Central Command (CENTCOM) said Iran had launched seven ballistic missiles towards the countries, but that six had been intercepted and one had fallen short.
Manama described the attacks, the second against both nations in three days, as "blatant aggression" and "a flagrant violation of the sovereignty of both countries".
Kuwait's foreign ministry warned that the Iranian attacks "represent a dangerous escalation" and a direct threat to the "lives of citizens and residents".
In Bahrain's capital Manama, an AFP journalist heard three explosions as air raid sirens sounded.
In Kuwait, another AFP journalist heard repeated blasts near the country's international airport, which had been struck on Wednesday in an attack blamed on Iran that killed one person.
- 'Enemy bases' -
"We woke up to a huge explosion. The explosions were very loud," Reem, an Egyptian mother-of-two, told AFP, after the latest blasts. "My children were terrified, and I couldn't calm them down."
Formally, a ceasefire in the war -- which was triggered almost 100 days ago by US and Israeli strikes that wiped out Iran's top leadership -- has been in place since April 8.
But tensions rose on Friday, when the US military said it struck radar sites in Iran after downing drones headed towards the strait.
Iran's Revolutionary Guards said early Saturday they had targeted "enemy bases in the area" with missiles in response to a US operation targeting the country's Sirik and Qeshm islands.
"There are currently no reports of harm to US personnel, and Iranian claims of damaging US 5th fleet headquarters in Bahrain are false," CENTCOM said in a statement.
The latest flare-up came despite the United States moving ahead with allowing Iran's national football team to travel to the FIFA World Cup it is co-hosting with Canada and Mexico.
US Ambassador to Turkey Tom Barrack confirmed the visa issuances, saying "sports transcends borders, and we look forward to welcoming competitors and fans from around the world".
An Iranian state television report confirmed that the team's players and technical staff had received their visas but that 15 administrative and managerial members of the delegation had been refused.
An unnamed US administration official said in a statement: "We will not allow the Iranian team to abuse this system to sneak terrorists into the United States under false pretenses."
The team is due to fly from Turkey to Spain on Saturday before arriving at their base camp in Mexico on Sunday.
- Trading strikes -
US President Donald Trump told NBC News on Friday that Iran retains roughly "21, 22 percent" of its missile stockpile -- more than the figure of 18 percent he gave in May -- despite Washington's repeated insistence that Tehran's military capacity had been crippled.
Efforts to turn the truce into a lasting settlement have repeatedly stalled, while the conflict has rattled global markets and increased political pressure on Trump at home ahead of midterm elections.
"The negotiations are at a deadlock and Trump must break this deadlock," Mohsen Rezaei, military adviser to Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Mojtaba Khamenei, told CNN in an interview on Friday, as he called for the release of frozen Iranian assets to the tune of "$24 billion".
Lebanon -- which was drawn into the Middle East war when Iran-backed Hezbollah attacked Israel on March 2 -- called Friday for Iran to stop interfering in its affairs.
On Saturday, Lebanon said an Israeli strike in the south of the country had killed three of its soldiers. The Israeli military said it was "reviewing the incident" and insisted its operation in Lebanon was targeting Hezbollah, not the government army.
Israel and Hezbollah have traded attacks after a new truce deal was flatly rejected by the militant group. Iran, in its peace negotiations with Washington, has insisted that the fighting in Lebanon and the war in the Gulf are inextricably linked.
F.Bennett--AMWN