-
Brazil's Lula urges Trump to treat all countries equally
-
Knicks rally to down Rockets as Pistons, Spurs roll on
-
Brumbies end 26-year jinx with thrashing of Crusaders
-
Pakistan launches deadly strikes in Afghanistan
-
Son's LAFC defeats Messi and Miami in MLS season opener
-
Korda to face Paul in all-American Delray Beach final
-
Vikings receiver Rondale Moore dies at 25
-
Copper, a coveted metal boosting miners
-
Indigenous protesters occupy Cargill port terminal in Brazil
-
Four lives changed by four years of Russia-Ukraine war
-
AI agent invasion has people trying to pick winners
-
'Hamnet' eyes BAFTAs glory over 'One Battle', 'Sinners'
-
Cron laments errors after Force crash to Blues in Super Rugby
-
The Japanese snowball fight game vying to be an Olympic sport
-
'Solar sheep' help rural Australia go green, one panel at a time
-
Cuban Americans keep sending help to the island, but some cry foul
-
As US pressures Nigeria over Christians, what does Washington want?
-
Dark times under Syria's Assad hit Arab screens for Ramadan
-
Bridgeman powers to six-shot lead over McIlroy at Riviera
-
Artist creates 'Latin American Mona Lisa' with plastic bottle caps
-
Malinin highlights mental health as Shaidorov wears panda suit at Olympic skating gala
-
Timberwolves center Gobert suspended after another flagrant foul
-
Guardiola hails Man City's 'massive' win over Newcastle
-
PSG win to reclaim Ligue 1 lead after Lens lose to Monaco
-
Man City down Newcastle to pile pressure on Arsenal, Chelsea held
-
Man City close gap on Arsenal after O'Reilly sinks Newcastle
-
Finland down Slovakia to claim bronze in men's ice hockey
-
More than 1,500 request amnesty under new Venezuela law
-
US salsa legend Willie Colon dead at 75
-
Canada beat Britain to win fourth Olympic men's curling gold
-
Fly-half Jalibert ruled out of France side to face Italy
-
Russell restart try 'big moment' in Scotland win, says Townsend
-
Kane helps Bayern extend Bundesliga lead as Dortmund held by Leipzig
-
Liga leaders Real Madrid stung by late Osasuna winner
-
Ilker Catak's 'Yellow Letters' wins Golden Bear at Berlin film festival
-
England's Genge says thumping Six Nations loss to Ireland exposes 'scar tissue'
-
Thousands march in France for slain far-right activist
-
Imperious Alcaraz storms to Qatar Open title
-
Klaebo makes Olympic history as Gu forced to wait
-
Late Scotland try breaks Welsh hearts in Six Nations
-
Lens lose, giving PSG chance to reclaim Ligue 1 lead
-
FIFA's Gaza support 'in keeping' with international federation - IOC
-
First all-Pakistani production makes history at Berlin film fest
-
Gu forced to wait as heavy snow postpones Olympic halfpipe final
-
NASA chief rules out March launch of Moon mission over technical issues
-
Dutch double as Bergsma and Groenewoud win Olympic speed skating gold
-
At least three dead as migrant boat capsizes off Greek island
-
Struggling Juventus' woes deepen with home loss to Como
-
Chelsea, Aston Villa held in blow to Champions League hopes
-
Thousands march in France for slain far-right activist under heavy security
Former Nazi camp guard, 101, gets five-year jail sentence
A German court on Tuesday handed a five-year jail sentence to a 101-year-old former Nazi concentration camp guard, the oldest person so far to go on trial for complicity in war crimes during the Holocaust.
Josef Schuetz was found guilty of being an accessory to murder while working as a prison guard at the Sachsenhausen camp in Oranienburg, north of Berlin, between 1942 and 1945, presiding judge Udo Lechtermann said.
The pensioner, who now lives in Brandenburg state, had pleaded innocent, saying he did "absolutely nothing" and was not aware of the gruesome crimes being carried out at the camp.
"I don't know why I am here," he said at the close of his trial on Monday.
But prosecutors said he "knowingly and willingly" participated in the murders of 3,518 prisoners at the camp and called for him to be punished with five years behind bars.
More than 200,000 people, including Jews, Roma, regime opponents and gay people, were detained at the Sachsenhausen camp between 1936 and 1945.
Tens of thousands of inmates died from forced labour, murder, medical experiments, hunger or disease before the camp was liberated by Soviet troops, according to the Sachsenhausen Memorial and Museum.
Prosecutors said Schuetz had aided and abetted the "execution by firing squad of Soviet prisoners of war in 1942" and the murder of prisoners "using the poisonous gas Zyklon B".
He was 21 years old at the time.
- Contradictory statements -
During the trial, Schuetz made several inconsistent statements about his past, complaining that his head was getting "mixed up".
At one point, the centenarian said he had worked as an agricultural labourer in Germany for most of World War II, a claim contradicted by several historical documents bearing his name, date and place of birth.
After the war, Schuetz was transferred to a prison camp in Russia before returning to Germany, where he worked as a farmer and a locksmith.
Schuetz remained at liberty during the trial, which began in 2021 but has been delayed several times because of his health.
Despite his conviction, he is highly unlikely to be put behind bars, given his age.
His lawyer Stefan Waterkamp told AFP ahead of the verdict that if found guilty, he would appeal.
More than seven decades after World War II, German prosecutors are racing to bring the last surviving Nazi perpetrators to justice.
The 2011 conviction of former guard John Demjanjuk, on the basis that he served as part of Hitler's killing machine, set a legal precedent and paved the way for several of these twilight justice cases.
Since then, courts have handed down several guilty verdicts on those grounds rather than for murders or atrocities directly linked to the individual accused.
- 'Moral responsibility' -
Among those brought to late justice were Oskar Groening, an accountant at Auschwitz, and Reinhold Hanning, a former SS guard at Auschwitz.
Both were convicted at the age of 94 of complicity in mass murder but died before they could be imprisoned.
A former SS guard, Bruno Dey, was found guilty at the age of 93 in 2020 and was given a two-year suspended sentence.
Separately, in the northern German town of Itzehoe, a 96-year-old former secretary in a Nazi death camp is on trial for complicity in murder.
She dramatically fled before the start of her trial but was caught several hours later.
While some have questioned the wisdom of chasing convictions related to Nazi crimes so long after the events, Guillaume Mouralis, a research professor at France's National Centre for Scientific Research (CNRS), said such trials send an important signal.
"It is a question of reaffirming the political and moral responsibility of individuals in an authoritarian context (and in a criminal regime) at a time when the neo-fascist far right is strengthening everywhere in Europe," he told AFP.
J.Williams--AMWN