-
France unveils architects to transform Louvre
-
Ex-Google man takes reins at under-fire BBC
-
Swatch blames shopping centres for 'problems' with star product launch
-
Carvajal to leave Real Madrid at end of season
-
Stocks drop, oil climbs after fresh Trump warning to Iran
-
Twins wow Cannes with 'mesmeric' tale of Nigeria's rich
-
New Ebola outbreak in DR Congo: What we know
-
Iran Nobel winner discharged from hospital: supporters
-
Spanish court orders 55 mn euro tax refund to Shakira
-
Ryanair flags Iran war uncertainty as annual profit jumps
-
Hearts have bright future despite Scottish title pain: McInnes
-
Fernandes 'proud' to match Premier League assists record
-
Germany set to miss 2030 climate goal: experts
-
G7 finance chiefs meet to seek common stance on unstable ground
-
Hantavirus-hit cruise ship docks in Rotterdam at voyage end
-
Philippines swears in senators for VP Duterte's impeachment trial
-
Iran's World Cup football team leaves for Turkey: media
-
Hantavirus-hit cruise ship steams towards Rotterdam at voyage end
-
Japan arrests Americans over stunt at baby monkey Punch's zoo
-
Trump says 'clock ticking' for Iran as peace negotiations stall
-
Hong Kong court hears closing arguments in Tiananmen activists' trial
-
World Cup duo Ghana, Cape Verde not among AFCON top seeds
-
African players in Europe: Daring Semenyo wins final for City
-
Kenya's new poaching problem: smuggling Giant Harvester Ants
-
WHO kicks off annual assembly amid hantavirus, Ebola crises
-
S. Korean blockbuster 'Hope' underscores growing film ambition
-
Train driver charged after deadly Bangkok bus collision
-
Angry Chinese table tennis fans demand apology for flag gaffe
-
India's lifeline ferry across strategic archipelago
-
Encroaching world threatens India's last 'uncontacted' tribe
-
India's strategic $9 bn megaport plan for pristine island
-
In Tierra del Fuego, a hunt for the rodent carrier of hantavirus
-
Mitchell leads Cavs past top-seeded Detroit into NBA East finals
-
China's April consumption, factory output growth slowest in years
-
Asian stocks sink, oil rises on US-Iran deadlock
-
Cleveland Cavaliers eliminate top-seeded Detroit from NBA playoffs
-
Who could be the 2026 World Cup's breakout star?
-
Humble PGA champ Rai celebrates English, Indian, Kenyan heritage
-
Hantavirus-hit cruise ship nears end of voyage, to dock in Rotterdam
-
He said, she said, AI said: Wall Street sex scandal rivets and confounds
-
UN General Assembly to take up climate change 'obligations' resolution
-
Four takeaways from Musk vs OpenAI trial
-
Jury to decide fate of Musk's blockbuster suit against OpenAI
-
Frustrated McIlroy drops F-bomb in exchange with PGA heckler
-
Defending champion Palou storms to Indy 500 pole
-
Messi shines as Inter Miami finally win at new stadium
-
Shai Gilgeous-Alexander wins second straight NBA MVP award
-
White House mass prayer event seeks to reclaim US Christian roots
-
International dive group joins Maldives search for missing Italians
-
'Staggering' Iran toll drives up global executions: Amnesty
King Charles III meets survivors of child stabbings that sparked riots
King Charles III offered his "deepest" sympathies Tuesday as he met survivors of a devastating UK knife attack that killed three young girls and sparked nationwide anti-immigration riots.
The 75-year-old monarch inspected a vast sea of floral tributes laid outside Southport town hall in memory of the victims -- Bebe King, six, Elsie Dot Stancombe, seven, and Alice da Silva Aguiar, nine.
All three died in the attack at a Taylor Swift-themed dance class in the town just over three weeks ago which also left ten people injured, eight of them children.
As well as the children, the king also met their families and police liaison officers working with them.
Buckingham Palace said he also wanted to thank "frontline emergency staff for their ongoing work serving local people".
Charles had earlier been criticised by some for not issuing a public statement on the riots.
Although the monarch conveyed his condolences to the families of the three girls killed, he did not comment on the unrest until nearly two weeks later.
Traditionally, the monarch does not comment on anything that could cause political controversy.
But in calls with Prime Minister Keir Starmer and police chiefs, the king later said he had been "greatly encouraged" by the reaction "that countered the aggression and criminality from a few with the compassion and resilience of the many".
Charles spent about 45 minutes meeting survivors before signing a book of condolence in the town hall.
He signed his name, adding: "In deepest sympathy."
Outside the building before he left, he met members of the community who had helped in the aftermath of the attack.
Joanne Martlew, a retired emergency service worker who helped survivors after coming across the aftermath of the attack said it had been "brilliant to see the King".
Helen Marshall, 71, a member of a gardening group looking after the many floral tributes added that his visit was "very important" to the seaside town.
"We're under a cloud and we need something to boost morale," she said.
"The last few weeks have been devastating but the community spirit is the thing keeping us going," she said.
The children were attending the dance class at the start of the school summer holidays when an assailant entered the building and began attacking them.
Axel Rudakubana, who was aged 17 at the time, has been charged with murder and attempted murder over the stabbing spree.
- Arrests -
A motive for the atrocity has not been disclosed, but police have said it is not being treated as terror-related.
More than a dozen English towns and cities saw unrest and riots in the week that followed the events in Southport.
Officials have blamed far-right elements for helping to stir up the disorder, which targeted mosques and hotels housing asylum seekers as well as police officers and other properties.
The authorities have cited misinformation spread online that Rudakubana was a Muslim asylum seeker for fuelling the violence.
He was actually born in Britain to parents who hail from Rwanda, an overwhelmingly Christian country.
The riots have led to more than a thousand arrests and hundreds of convictions, after Prime Minister Starmer vowed those who participated would be quickly called to account.
The king is due to meet with the three bereaved families in London on Wednesday.
A.Malone--AMWN