-
Embattled Bolivia leader promises 'to listen' to protests
-
'Majority' of US Fed officials say rate hikes may be needed
-
Steelers quarterback Aaron Rodgers says 2026 his last NFL season
-
Kolkata see off Mumbai to keep IPL playoff hopes alive
-
Raul Castro: the other leader of Cuba's revolution
-
Spacey walks Cannes red carpet as comeback continues
-
US indicts former Cuban president as pressure builds
-
Ubisoft counts cost of restructuring with record annual loss
-
1996 Cuban downing of two US planes behind Raul Castro indictment
-
Silva says it's time for new Man City generation to shine
-
Airbnb expands into hotels, cars, groceries
-
Southampton appeal against Championship play-off removal for spying
-
Bolivia says protesters trying to 'disrupt democratic order'
-
Opposition backlash as Macron's choice gets nod for central bank
-
In-form Narvaez makes it three Giro stage wins
-
Mideast war drives up bond yields, budget risk
-
Ubisoft reports record annual loss after game delays, cancellations
-
Board of Peace report accuses Hamas of blocking Gaza progress
-
Boss of Germany's Commerzbank cheered as she slams UniCredit advances
-
Colosseum selfies, 'Melody' toffee and trade: Modi visits Rome
-
French presidential candidate Philippe targeted in embezzlement probe
-
UK eases sanctions on Russian jet fuel and diesel imports
-
Iran says US wants to 'start new war' after Trump threat
-
Magyar, Tusk tout Hungary's return to Europe in post-Orban era
-
Bangladesh measles deaths near 500 but vaccines offer hope
-
NATO chief says US troop withdrawals from Europe won't hurt defences
-
DR Congo Ebola risk high regionally, low worldwide: WHO
-
French lawmakers back Macron choice to run Bank of France
-
Borthwick to monitor Lawes as England great targets Test recall
-
Rubio offers Cubans 'new path' in special video address
-
UK inflation drops ahead of expected war-fuelled jump
-
North Korean women win rare match in South to reach final
-
Gough says McCullum 'very lucky' to keep England job after Ashes debacle
-
Worried and under-equipped, Ebola-hit east DR Congo awaits medical aid
-
Lithuanians briefly head to bunkers over drone alert
-
Alibaba unveils new AI chip as Nvidia access remains stalled
-
Oil retreats, stocks rise on cautious Mideast war hopes
-
Key takeaways from Putin-Xi meeting
-
Arsenal players in dawn celebrations after winning Premier League
-
India issues heatwave warnings as fear of El Nino looms
-
Whale of a time: Humpbacks set new distance record
-
Families of Beirut strike victims vow to fight for justice
-
Maddison 'embarrassed' by Spurs' survival struggles
-
Uganda president's son moves against senior politician for corruption
-
Havana-born star Andy Garcia says Cubans dream of change
-
Iran Guards warn of war beyond Mideast as Trump repeats threats
-
Saka says Arsenal critics 'not laughing anymore' after title triumph
-
UK climate advisers urge setting maximum working temperature
-
Stellantis signs Europe joint venture with China's Dongfeng
-
Indonesia's Prabowo announces export controls for coal, palm oil
Prince Harry's lawyer cites threats in UK protection case
Prince Harry's lawyer outlined in court threats made against him, including calls for his murder, as King Charles's youngest son Tuesday appealed against an "unjustified" decision to restrict his police protection in the UK.
Harry, who has been angered by the government's decision, watched proceedings unfold from inside London's Royal Courts of Justice during a rare visit to London.
Following Harry's dramatic split with the royal family in 2020 and subsequent move to North America with his wife Meghan, they are no longer considered as working royals.
The British government said he would therefore no longer be given the "same degree" of publicly funded protection when in the UK, but solely on a case-by-case basis.
The 40-year-old prince took legal action against the interior ministry and, after his initial case was rejected last year, has now brought the challenge before the Court of Appeal in central London.
In a written submission, the prince's lawyers warned of threats made against the royal's security.
"Al-Qaeda recently called for (Harry) to be murdered," and he and Meghan were "involved in a dangerous car pursuit with paparazzi in New York City" in May 2023, the submission said.
And his lawyer Shaheed Fatima said the prince "does not accept that 'bespoke' means 'better'."
"In fact, in his submission, it means that he has been singled out for different, unjustified and inferior treatment."
- 'Forced to step back' -
The Duke of Sussex and his American wife Meghan Markle are now largely estranged from the royal family, having started a new life in California.
But King Charles III's younger son has said security concerns have hampered his ability to visit home and he has only rarely returned to the UK for short visits.
In a written submission to the appeals court, Harry's lawyers said the prince and Meghan "felt forced to step back" from frontline royal duties because "they considered they were not being protected by the institution".
Harry was widely criticised when in his autobiography "Spare" he claimed to have killed 25 people in Afghanistan, sparking ire from the Taliban.
Harry's mother, Princess Diana, was killed in a high-speed car crash in Paris in 1997 as she tried to escape paparazzi photographers.
The prince's legal battle centres on a February 2020 decision to downgrade his security, made by the UK's interior ministry and a committee that deals with the protection of royals and public figures.
The High Court ruled in February 2024 against Harry's case, saying the government had acted lawfully.
The prince's initial bid to appeal was refused in April 2024 and he was ordered to pay about £1,000,000 ($1.27 million) in legal costs, according to The Times newspaper.
However, the following month, a judge said Harry could in fact challenge the decision at the Court of Appeal.
Fatima argued the committee had failed to carry out an assessment of the risks posed to Harry and the High Court had been wrong to overlook that.
- 'Right to safety' -
"This appeal concerns the most fundamental right -- to safety and security of person," Fatima said on Tuesday.
Harry, dressed in a dark suit with blue patterned tie, looked on in the courtroom, occasionally whispering into the ear of another member of his legal team, or writing in a notebook.
In its submission to the court, the government insisted Harry's security "would be considered depending on the circumstances" given his change of position.
The hearing is expected to finish on Wednesday, with some parts to be held in private due to security concerns.
A decision in writing is expected at a later date.
Harry, who has pursued several legal suits against British UK tabloid dailies, is also embroiled in a separate row over a charity he co-founded in southern Africa.
A bitter boardroom battle has seen the prince resign as patron of the Sentebale charity.
Its chair, Sophie Chandauka, has accused him of "bullying" and being involved in a "cover up".
Harry has in turn hit out at what he called "blatant lies" and the UK-based charity watchdog has launched an investigation.
F.Dubois--AMWN