-
Brazil's Lula hails new oil find as 'passport to the future'
-
Paramount demands $1.9 billion surety over states' merger lawsuit
-
Rybakina slogs through double rain delays in Cincinnati win
-
Latest developments in US-Iran war
-
Two largest US reservoirs hit record lows amid western drought
-
NBA has no evidence of Clippers salary cap cheating: report
-
Colombian minister under fire over beach holiday post-quake
-
Boehly and Walter consider selling Chelsea stake to Clearlake Capital
-
Lamour leaves key FIFA position after criticising Infantino
-
OpenAI to lease massive new AI data center in US, backed by Nvidia
-
Buss family sells 17.8% stake in Lakers to Iger group
-
US stocks fall on spiking bond yields, higher oil prices
-
Mangione state murder trial postponed after federal guilty plea
-
LIV Golf cancels Michigan event, to decide team title at Indy
-
Trump envoy says Hamas disarmament could begin within 30 days
-
Rodri arrives at Barcelona to complete 'dream' move
-
US pauses construction of border project in Texas national park
-
Discord suspends livestreams in Brazil after teen's suicide
-
Thousands mourn dead black academic in London vigil
-
Tupac Shakur's accused killer was out for 'revenge', jury hears
-
South Africa Test series a lot tougher than a World Cup says All Blacks coach Rennie
-
Netanyahu presses role for US general in Hamas disarmament
-
Coventry sign Nigeria striker Awoniyi from Forest
-
US-Palestinian says 'terrified' as he returns to property besieged by settlers
-
TripleDart tops $7 million ARR with AI-led growth, reports 50 per cent EBIT margin
-
Amboss Opens Affiliate Program: Earn Recurring Bitcoin Commissions by Growing Bitcoin Payments
-
Bipartisan backlash as Trump scales back US-South Korea drills
-
Netanyahu, Kushner discuss US general for Hamas disarmament: Israeli official
-
'Never seen one like it': German pensioners flee wildfire
-
Scottish FA withdraws support for FIFA boss Infantino
-
Ipswich sign Enciso and Ouattara in double raid on Strasbourg
-
Belgium fire halts short of German border, but not 'contained'
-
UN laments 'unacceptable' toll of 350 aid workers killed in 2025
-
Number one Shi suffers shock first-round exit at badminton worlds
-
Former child star actress Hayden Panettiere dead at 36
-
Kolisi and Nche may miss South Africa Test against New Zealand
-
Pakistan captain Babar Azam doubtful for England opener
-
Trump threatens Oman: latest developments in US-Iran war
-
Pentagon inks Tomahawk deal amid reports of missile shortfall
-
Stocks lower as Hormuz concerns and high oil prices persist
-
Rain halts India push after Dinusha century lifts Sri Lanka
-
Crowds turn out for 'Total Eclipse' singer Bonnie Tyler's funeral
-
Dinusha hits century as Sri Lanka post 284 in first India Test
-
Mali jails junta-critic broadcaster, influencer for seven years
-
Stocks steady as investors weigh US rate path
-
'Nowhere to run': Indonesian quake survivors plead for help
-
Taiwan's leader says government to propose record defence spending for 2027
-
Belgium fire makes 'limited' spread overnight, more help on way
-
Cambridge head slams 'feeding frenzy' over dead academic
-
Vingegaard brings curtain down on season
UK police arrest ex-prince Andrew on suspicion of misconduct
Britain's former prince Andrew was arrested Thursday on suspicion of misconduct during his time as a trade envoy, as UK police investigations into allegations emerging from the Jeffrey Epstein files gathered pace.
The arrest of a royal family member is unprecedented in Britain's modern era, as police said they were also searching two properties -- in eastern England and west of London -- as part of their probe.
It was a humiliating new blow for the ousted prince, who was last year stripped of his titles, and Thursday marked his 66th birthday as he was taken into custody.
"We have today (19/2) arrested a man in his sixties from Norfolk on suspicion of misconduct in public office," Thames Valley police said in a statement, without naming the suspect, as is common practice in the UK.
Officers "are carrying out searches at addresses in Berkshire and Norfolk," the force added, noting "the man remains in police custody at this time".
Images published by UK media showed a fleet of unmarked cars, believed to be police vehicles, arriving early Thursday at King Charles III's Sandringham estate in eastern England where Andrew moved to earlier this month.
The arrest follows new revelations last week that appeared to show Andrew sent convicted US sex offender Epstein potentially confidential documents during his time as a UK trade envoy.
- 'Concern' -
In a November 2010 email seen by AFP, Andrew appeared to share with Epstein reports on several Asian countries following an official visit to the region.
The ex-royal, now known as Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, also reportedly sent the American financier details of the trip -- on which he was accompanied by Epstein's business associates -- along with investment opportunities months later.
Charles last year stripped his brother of his titles and ordered he leave his mansion on the Windsor estate -- though he does remain eighth in the line of succession to the British throne.
It followed one of Epstein's accusers, Virginia Giuffre, recounting in shocking details in her posthumous memoirs allegations that she had been trafficked to have sex with Andrew when she was a teenager.
He has previously denied any wrongdoing in his associations with Epstein.
Andrew settled a US civil lawsuit in 2022 brought by Giuffre while not admitting liability.
Last week, the king voiced "concern" over his brother's alleged actions and in an unprecedented statement noted Buckingham Palace was "ready to support" the police.
Official guidance stipulates trade envoys have a duty of confidentiality over sensitive, commercial or political information related to their official visits, the BBC has said.
Andrew, whose ties to Epstein have caused a spectacular years-long fall from grace, served as a British trade envoy for a decade from 2001.
Misconduct in public office carries a maximum sentence of life imprisonment, according to the Crown Prosecution Service.
- 'Strong message' -
Andrew is deeply unpopular with the British public, and many welcomed his arrest Thursday. Under UK law he can be held for 24 hours without charge, after which the police must apply to the courts for an extension of his custody.
"I'm pleased. It's a strong message. He deserves that," lawyer Emma Carter, 55, told AFP in London. "He's been hiding behind his privileges... for too many years."
At least nine separate UK police forces have confirmed they are assessing reports which appear to link the former prince to Epstein.
Police in Surrey, southeastern England, appealed for information Wednesday after becoming "aware" of a redacted report alleging "human trafficking and sexual assaults on a minor" there in the mid-1990s.
The report emerged in the latest tranche of millions of files released by the US justice department from the investigation into Epstein, who died in prison in 2019.
It comes as high-profile figures, including former UK prime minister Gordon Brown, have urged police to probe dozens of flights dating back decades arriving at UK airports and tied to Epstein.
Writing in the New Statesman magazine last week, Brown said he had been "told privately that the investigations related to the former Prince Andrew did not properly check vital evidence of flights" dubbed by UK media the "Lolita Express".
"I have asked the police to look at this as part of the new inquiry," he stated.
London's Metropolitan police has also launched an investigation into the relationship between the UK's former ambassador to Washington, Peter Mandelson, and the disgraced financier.
L.Durand--AMWN