-
Air France, Airbus guilty of manslaughter in 2009 Paris-Rio crash: French court
-
Lustrinelli succeeds Eta as Union Berlin coach
-
Alex Marquez out of Italy, Hungary MotoGP races after crash
-
'French Banksy' and Daft Punk star turn Paris bridge into Alpine cave
-
Late queen pushed for son Andrew to be UK trade envoy: official papers
-
Denmark to autopsy 'Timmy' the whale
-
Oil gains, European stocks down on uncertain Mideast peace prospects
-
War risks choking Iran's world-beating cinema, warn directors
-
Neuer recalled to aid Germany World Cup bid
-
Samsung chip employees to get average $338,000 bonus under strike deal
-
Cambodian avatars pray to spirits for rain, peace with Thailand
-
Deadly DR Congo Ebola outbreak spreads to M23-held South Kivu
-
Spain to launch biggest forest fire campaign after record losses: PM
-
Cuba outraged after US indicts Raul Castro
-
Pakistan army chief due in Iran as Trump says talks on 'borderline'
-
EasyJet posts deeper first-half loss on Mideast war
-
In Ankara, Iran World Cup squad players start US visa process
-
Sri Lanka cricket finances 'greater than feared': interim chief
-
Ubisoft shares plunge after grim annual results
-
Vets bid to save Kosovo's stray dogs from cull through sterilisation
-
Mideast war forces EU to slash eurozone 2026 growth forecast
-
Gaza flotilla activists await deportation from Israel
-
Rich nations topped $100 bn climate finance goal again in 2023, 2024: OECD
-
London next step in all-women Athlos' goal to be 'F1 of track and field'
-
Asian stocks surge on Iran hopes, Samsung union talks
-
Winston Churchill's 'playful' paintings go on show in London
-
Tourists in Thailand plan for coming cuts to visa-free stays
-
Australia 'disappointed' by Chinese owner's resistance to forced port sale
-
Philippines orders arrest of fugitive senator sought by ICC
-
'They're afraid': Nicaraguan writer Gioconda Belli on fighting censorship
-
Samsung shareholders vow legal action over tentative union deal
-
'Ready for violence': Serbian hooligans target protesters
-
Some Ukrainian refugees head home - for dental work
-
Top UN court to rule on right to strike
-
Bordeaux-Begles' Lucu on verge of Basque 'dream' with Champions Cup final
-
Juve risk disaster as Serie A's Champions League race goes down to the wire
-
Antonelli seeks to extend sensational start with fourth win
-
Gilgeous-Alexander stars as Thunder level series with Spurs
-
Asian stocks surge on Iran hopes and Samsung union talks
-
Asian stocks surge on Iran hopes and Samsung deal
-
Ruffles, biker leather and celebs at Louis Vuitton's New York show
-
South Korea coach 'hurt' by support for North team
-
Australian court upholds $465,000 fine against Elon Musk's X
-
Commander-in-beef: Bangladesh's 'Donald Trump' buffalo wins fans
-
'Taiwan Travelogue' author hopes book can be read in China, spark dialogue
-
Former stars differ on whether African team can win 2026 World Cup
-
'Fired and festive': 'Late Show' host Stephen Colbert bows out
-
Upgraded SpaceX Starship set for test launch ahead of IPO
-
Israeli minister sparks outcry over video of bound flotilla activists
-
Police defenders of US Capitol sue to stop Trump 'slush fund'
Late queen pushed for son Andrew to be UK trade envoy: official papers
Britain's late queen Elizabeth II pushed for her son Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor to be given a high-profile job as a trade envoy, a senior official said in a 2000 document released by the government on Thursday.
The British government agreed to release the documents related to the disgraced former prince's role as trade envoy from 2001 to 2011, amid the fallout from the Jeffrey Epstein scandal.
Mountbatten-Windsor, who was stripped of his remaining royal titles following the release of US files related to Epstein last year, was arrested in February on suspicion of misconduct in public office linked to the late American sex offender.
He is accused of sharing sensitive information with Epstein during his time as an official trade envoy for Britain.
The former prince was released after being questioned for hours by police and has not been charged. He denies any wrongdoing.
The 11 documents published by the government discuss the appointment of the former prince to a role as a special envoy for British Trade International (BTI), which promoted the UK abroad.
Following a "wide-ranging conversation" with the queen's private secretary, BTI head David Wright wrote to the then foreign minister to say it was the queen's "wish" that Andrew, then the Duke of York, be appointed to the role.
"The Queen is very keen that the Duke of York should take on a prominent role in the promotion of national interests," said the letter dated 25 February 2000.
One month earlier, in a message with the subject "Duke of York's travel", head of protocol Kathryn Colvin advised that the Duke of York "should not be offered golfing functions abroad".
Colvin also noted that the former duke preferred "more sophisticated countries" and "liked travelling, especially when on royal business".
- 'No vetting' -
The role was unpaid, but during his time as envoy, the then-prince was dubbed "Air Miles Andy" as he jetted around the world with his expenses, including luxury hotels, covered by taxpayers.
In a written statement to parliament, trade minister Chris Bryant said "we have found no evidence that a formal due diligence or vetting process was undertaken."
However, this was "understandable" as the "new appointment was a continuation of the Royal Family's involvement in trade and investment promotion work".
Peter Mandelson, former UK ambassador to the US who was sacked over his ties to Epstein, is also being investigated for misconduct in public office when he was a government minister in the 2000s.
The Liberal Democrat party, which moved the government to release documents related to Mountbatten-Windsor, has also asked for the publication of any correspondence between Mandelson and the former prince.
The former duke has been long embroiled in scandals over his friendship with Epstein.
Virginia Giuffre, who died by suicide last year, claimed she was trafficked three times to have sex with the British royal, starting in 2001 and twice when she was 17.
Mountbatten-Windsor settled a US civil lawsuit in 2022 brought by Giuffre while not admitting liability.
P.Mathewson--AMWN