-
Man City snatch late win in Maresca debut, Iraola's Liverpool rescue dramatic draw
-
Szoboszlai's last-gasp leveller rescues Liverpool in Newcastle draw
-
Trump takes starring role at Washington's IndyCar debut
-
Landfill collapse kills 30 in Guinea
-
Villa boss Emery says it's down to Watkins to explain absence
-
'Unbelievable' Cherki proves his point to Man City boss Maresca
-
Duplantis labours to 'super difficult' pole vault win at Silesia Diamond League
-
10-man Atletico snatch Villarreal draw as Alvarez returns
-
Max smash at zany Zandvoort: Three stories from the Dutch GP
-
Seville, Jefferson-Wooden roar to 100m wins at Silesia Diamond League
-
Brennan sprints to Vuelta stage two victory, Pogacar keeps red
-
VW chief warns carmaker's situation 'more than critical'
-
Duplantis conquers pole vault at Silesia Diamond League
-
England cricketer Carse under investigation after 'nightclub incident'
-
France's badminton gold winners set for obscurity back home
-
McLaren's Norris wins Dutch GP after Verstappen crash
-
Brighton start Premier League season with rout of 10-man Villa
-
Giroud scores as Lille give Davide Ancelotti winning start
-
Maresca makes winning start with Man City after dramatic fightback
-
Kejelcha smashes half-marathon world record in Buenos Aires
-
Mo'unga returns for All Blacks against Johannesburg Lions
-
Trump admin predicts US trade war 'devastating' for Canada
-
Belgian sprinter Philipsen wins Renewi Tour
-
Trump set for starring role at Washington's debut IndyCar race
-
'A day for French badminton' as Lanier triumph gives them golden double at world champs
-
Kane voted player of the year in Germany
-
Kane voted German footballer of the year
-
Padikkal hundred helps India to 300-5 against Sri Lanka
-
'New season, new trim': Man City star Haaland chops off flowing locks
-
Man City agree deal for Lille star Bouaddi
-
Lanier clinches badminton world title in France's golden double
-
Humanoids break records at Beijing Robot Games
-
After Wildberries, Ukraine launches drone campaign on Russia's Ozon
-
Zelensky rejects rival's call for vote, says would 'split' Ukraine
-
Padikkal, Gill half-centuries take India to 187-3 at tea
-
Zelensky rejects wartime elections, says would 'split' Ukraine
-
Cummins hails 'sharp' Australia as they get back to winning ways
-
'Keep up the spirit': Indonesian teenage 'Superman' joins wildfire fight
-
Bangladesh eye more Australia Tests to hit next level
-
Starc bags 10 as Australia thrash Bangladesh in second Test
-
Thousands expected at Sweden climate demo as election looms
-
Starc heroics see Australia thrash Bangladesh in second Test
-
Starc heroics put Australia on brink of victory over Bangladesh
-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to book Cincy final against Gauff
-
Austrian mountain town finds niche in AI boom
-
South Korean survivor fights for workplace harassment 'justice'
-
Messi scores but Miami slump continues with loss to Toronto
-
Starc strikes as Bangladesh struggle to stay alive in 2nd Test
-
Sydney marathon unveils medal with wrong stadium
-
Prince Harry: royal misfit making unlikely UK return
French oil refinery strikes begin to ease
After three weeks of blockades, strikes at sites owned by French oil giant TotalEnergies were starting to ease on Wednesday, although uncertainty remains over fuel supply as the country heads into the autumn holiday break.
In recent weeks several of France's seven refineries and one fuel depot were out of action as striking members of the hard-left CGT union rejected a pay offer from the hydrocarbon industry leader that other unions accepted.
But on Wednesday the CGT said the strike at the Donges refinery in the west of the country was suspended, as well as at two other oil sites in France, one in the north and one in the south.
Prime Minister Elisabeth Borne said the situation "continues to improve markedly".
The blockades will continue at the Normandy and the Rhone sites.
Strike action at two Esso-ExxonMobil refineries ended last week, after a pay deal between management and moderate unions which represent a majority of workers.
"We hope that management will heed the demands of the strikers in order to bring this conflict to an end," Benjamin Tange of the CGT union told AFP.
The CGT had announced on Wednesday morning that it had proposed a "protocol for ending the conflict" to the management of TotalEnergies.
According to the union, the proposal was rejected by management, a statement not confirmed by the company when questioned by AFP.
The union proposal called for "negotiations on employment and investment" as well as guarantees that those who went out on strike would not be punished.
The CGT -- which launched the industrial action three weeks ago -- has been pushing for a 10-percent pay rise for staff at TotalEnergies, retroactive to the start of this year.
It says the French group can more than afford it, citing TotalEnergies' net profit of $5.7 billion in the April-June period as energy prices soared with the war in Ukraine, and its payout of billions of euros in dividends to shareholders.
But the strike action has forced many filling stations to close and had a knock-on effect across all sectors of the economy.
Faced with the fuel shortages, many people have started to cancel holidays ahead of the upcoming school break, which has been impacting on an anticipated boost for the country's tourism sector.
Energy Transition Minister Agnes Pannier-Runacher said the government is "doing everything so that people can go on a peaceful vacation".
Some 20 percent of service stations were still short of petrol or diesel on Wednesday, according to the health ministry.
To try and ease the shortage, the government has used requisitioning powers to force some strikers back to open fuel depots -- a move that has infuriated unions but been upheld in the courts.
burs-rox/pvh
H.E.Young--AMWN