-
Usyk rocked before stopping Verhoeven to retain heavyweight belts
-
Australia cricket split over BBL future after selloff plan stalls
-
NYC immigrant hubs eye FIFA bounce after Trump crackdown woe
-
Missile strikes pound Kyiv after Russia vows retaliation
-
China rescuers search for missing after mine blast kills 82
-
Security forces swarm White House after shots fired
-
Usyk rocked but beats Verhoeven to retain heavyweight titles
-
Enhanced Games boss predicts multiple feats beyond world records
-
Kim's lead trimmed to two at PGA CJ Cup Byron Nelson
-
Large police presence around White House after reports of shots fired: AFP
-
Ebola toll tops 200, other African countries seen at risk
-
Russell snatches pole in Canada with late lap to frustrate Antonelli
-
Romania's Mungiu wins top prize at glitzy Cannes finale
-
Iran move World Cup base from US to Mexico
-
Russell grabs pole for Mercedes 1-2 at Canadian GP
-
Trump says agreement with Iran 'largely negotiated,' includes opening strait
-
Bayern salute 'best transfer ever' Kane after 21st German Cup triumph
-
Real Madrid end troubled Liga season with win, Mallorca, Girona down
-
Quiet Chinese county hit by deadly coal mine disaster
-
Mungiu wins Cannes again with culture wars drama
-
'Fjord' by Romania's Cristian Mungiu wins Cannes best film prize
-
Persistence pays off for Barcelona Champions League final hero Pajor
-
Kane hat-trick seals double as Bayern claim 21st German Cup
-
Tens of thousands rally in Serbia demanding elections
-
NASCAR driver Busch died of sepsis after pneumonia: family
-
Enhanced Games athletes under scrutiny as health fears swirl
-
Emotional Hull celebrate 'incredible' promotion to Premier League
-
Shreyas Iyer scores maiden IPL century as Punjab beat Lucknow
-
Pajor, Paralluelo star as Barcelona thrash Lyon to win Women's Champions League
-
Tens of thousands rally in Serbian capital demanding elections
-
Bru challenges Bordeaux-Begles to show 'true selves' in Top 14 after Champions Cup defence
-
Russell resists Antonelli in Canadian GP F1 sprint race
-
Defending Champions Cup title 'special' for Bordeaux's Tameifuna
-
Hull promoted to Premier League after McBurnie strikes late in play-off final
-
Buse outlasts Paul for Hamburg title to end Peruvian drought
-
Thousands gather in Serbian capital to call for elections
-
Vingegaard takes Giro lead after storming to victory in 14th stage
-
American Tien warms up for Roland Garros with Geneva Open win
-
Fils pulls out of home Grand Slam with painful injury
-
Bielle-Biarrey, Lucu inspire Bordeaux-Begles past Leinster to Champions Cup defence
-
French court hands man 25-year term for torture, rape of ex-partner
-
China authorities report 82 dead in coal mine blast, serious violations
-
Navarro downs Mboko to win Strasbourg clay title
-
Vingegaard takes Giro lead after storrming to victory in 14th stage
-
Russian war drama among favourites for top Cannes film prize
-
England's Bethell leaves IPL after finger injury
-
Ukrainian strike on college in Russian-occupied town kills 18: officials
-
Five first-round matches to watch at French Open
-
Iran and US say could be close to talks breakthrough
-
France bans Israeli security minister Ben Gvir from country
Russia offers US nuclear talks in bid to ease tensions
Russia on Tuesday offered to discuss with the United States allegations from Washington that it had carried out secret underground nuclear tests, in a bid to ease tensions between the world's top two nuclear superpowers.
Russia has tested its nuclear-powered, nuclear-capable weapons systems in recent weeks, but rejects the accusation by US President Donald Trump that it had secretly detonated a nuclear device.
Trump caused concern and confusion last month when he said he was ordering the United States to test its atomic weapons in retaliation for drills carried out by Russia and China -- accusations rejected by both Moscow and Beijing.
None of the three countries has publicly tested a nuclear warhead since the 1990s, and all three have signed -- but not ratified -- the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty (CTBT) that bans all atomic test blasts, whether for military or civilian purposes.
Russia's Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov offered on Tuesday to speak to Washington about its concerns.
"We are ready to discuss the suspicions raised by our American colleagues regarding the possibility that we might be secretly doing something deep underground," he told state media in a televised interview.
Trump had levelled the accusations that both Russia and China had secretly tested nuclear weapons in an interview with US broadcaster CBS News earlier this month, after abruptly shelving a proposed summit with Putin on Ukraine.
Like all armed states, Russia regularly tests its delivery systems, but has rejected the accusation it has carried out unannounced weapons tests.
Lavrov said the United States could check whether Russia had tested a nuclear warhead via the global seismic monitoring system.
"Other tests, both subcritical, or those without a chain nuclear reaction, and carrier tests, have never been prohibited," Lavrov added.
Russia said it had not received any clarification from Washington as to the specifics of its allegations.
"So far, no explanations have been provided by our American counterparts," Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov told reporters, including AFP, during a telephone briefing.
Russia and the United States hold a combined 8,000 deployed and stored warheads, according to the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI) -- around 85 percent of the world's total.
- Spat with Putin? -
Lavrov's interview was his first televised appearance in almost two weeks, with his absence prompting media speculation that he might have fallen out with Putin, something that the Kremlin repeatedly denied.
Press reports suggested that a planned summit between Putin and Trump in Budapest was cancelled after Lavrov had a tense phone call with US Secretary of State Marco Rubio.
He addressed those claims directly, saying: "We spoke well, politely, without any breakdown."
Since the pair spoke, Lavrov said, there had been "no further steps from the Americans", who he said had initially proposed the summit.
Trump shelved the plans and slapped Moscow with new sanctions after saying Putin was not serious about ending the conflict in Ukraine.
Lavrov said the recent nuclear tensions had nothing to do with the cancelled summit.
"I would not mix the topic of nuclear tests with the topic of the Budapest summit," he said.
He said Moscow was still open to a possible meeting between Putin and Trump.
P.Mathewson--AMWN