-
Russell resists Antonelli in Canadian GP F1 sprint race
-
Defending Champions Cup title 'special' for Bordeaux's Tameifuna
-
Hull promoted to Premier League after McBurnie strikes late in play-off final
-
Buse outlasts Paul for Hamburg title to end Peruvian drought
-
Thousands gather in Serbian capital to call for elections
-
Vingegaard takes Giro lead after storming to victory in 14th stage
-
American Tien warms up for Roland Garros with Geneva Open win
-
Fils pulls out of home Grand Slam with painful injury
-
Bielle-Biarrey, Lucu inspire Bordeaux-Begles past Leinster to Champions Cup defence
-
French court hands man 25-year term for torture, rape of ex-partner
-
China authorities report 82 dead in coal mine blast, serious violations
-
Navarro downs Mboko to win Strasbourg clay title
-
Vingegaard takes Giro lead after storrming to victory in 14th stage
-
Russian war drama among favourites for top Cannes film prize
-
England's Bethell leaves IPL after finger injury
-
Ukrainian strike on college in Russian-occupied town kills 18: officials
-
Five first-round matches to watch at French Open
-
Iran and US say could be close to talks breakthrough
-
France bans Israeli security minister Ben Gvir from country
-
Roland Garros organisers, players have 'positive' meeting over dispute
-
Dos Santos at the double, Jackson and Russell shine in Xiamen
-
Man Utd's Fernandes named Premier League Player of the Season
-
Iran chief negotiator vows 'crushing' response if US returns to war
-
EU automated border system suspended at Dover amid bank holiday chaos
-
F1 legend Alain Prost's Swiss home robbed: reports
-
De Zerbi demands 'blood and spirit' from Spurs on survival Sunday
-
Guardiola reveals Hart snub was biggest Man City regret
-
Roland Garros organisers, players have 'encouraging' meeting over dispute
-
French mother of boys abandoned in Portugal remanded in custody
-
Uganda confirms new Ebola cases, linked to DR Congo
-
Pope condemns environmental harm in Italy's 'Land of Fires'
-
Auckland FC become first New Zealand team to win A-League title
-
Russian war drama among favourites for top Cannes prize
-
North Korean women crowned Asian club champions in South
-
China coal mine blast kills at least 90, more missing
-
Full steam ahead for Milei's Andean mining revolution
-
Iran weighs peace proposal, accuses US of 'excessive demands'
-
Rubio in India to renew ties after Trump's China lovefest
-
Pope visits Italy's 'Land of Fires'
-
China set for latest space launch, with Hong Kong astronaut aboard
-
Police, protesters clash in new marches against Bolivian leader
-
US jury finds Boeing not guilty in 737 MAX grounding lawsuit
-
'Humans want to optimize': Enhanced Games founder embraces doping row
-
Rubio starts first visit to India on heels of US-China summit
-
The Asian workers keeping Greenland in business
-
'Never going back': Cartel attack decimates Mexican Indigenous town
-
Cannes highlights as film festival wraps up
-
The movies vying for the Cannes Film Festival's top prize
-
Russian war drama among favourites for Cannes top prize
-
Banned ex-100m champ Kerley to compete clean at Enhanced Games
Pupils, teachers kidnapped from Catholic school in central Nigeria
Armed gang members kidnapped pupils and teachers from a Catholic school in central Nigeria, officials said Friday, in the second such incident in less than a week.
The school kidnappings and an attack on a church earlier this week came weeks after US President Donald Trump threatened military action over what he described as the targeted killings of Nigeria's Christians by radical Islamists, a narrative rejected by the Nigerian government.
The Catholic Church in the area said in a statement that "armed attackers invaded" the school between 1:00 am and 3:00 am, abducting "pupils, students, teachers and a security" guard who was shot.
The Niger state government said it had "received with deep sadness the disturbing news of the kidnapping of pupils from St. Mary's School in Agwara local government area".
"The exact number of abducted pupils is yet to be confirmed as security agencies continue to assess the situation," Abubakar Usman, the state government secretary, said in a statement.
After gunmen on Monday stormed a secondary school in Kebbi state in northwestern Nigeria, abducting 25 schoolgirls, Friday's attack further raises alarm over security in Africa's most populous country.
For years, heavily armed criminal gangs locally known as "bandits" have been intensifying attacks in rural areas of northwest and central Nigeria with little state presence, killing thousands and conducting kidnappings for ransom.
The gangs have camps in a vast forest straddling several states including Zamfara, Katsina, Kaduna, Sokoto, Kebbi and Niger from where they launch attacks.
- 'Increased threat level' -
The state government said the school had defied orders to temporarily close all boarding schools in parts of the state following an intelligence report of an "increased threat level" in parts of northern Niger that border Kebbi.
Niger's state police said its tactical units and the military were deployed to search for the pupils.
Police said they received a report that "armed bandits invaded" the secondary school and "abducted a yet to be ascertained number of students from the school's hostel".
It said security agencies were "combing the forests with a view to rescue the abducted students".
President Bola Tinubu's government said earlier this week that security forces had been placed on high alert. He has sent a defence minister to lead the search for the Kebbi school girls.
Tinubu's office said minister of state for defence Alhaji Bello Matawalle had "experience in dealing with banditry and mass kidnapping", after he secured the release of 279 students aged between 10 and 17 who had been kidnapped from a secondary school in 2021 in western Zamfara state.
In a separate attack on a church in western Nigeria on Tuesday, gunmen killed two people during a service that was recorded and broadcast online. Dozens of worshippers are believed to have been abducted.
As Nigeria grapples with security challenges on several fronts, hostage-taking has spiralled nationwide and become a favoured tactic of bandit gangs and jihadists.
Although bandits have no ideological leanings and are motivated by financial gains, their increasing alliance with jihadists from the northeast has been a source of concern for authorities and security analysts.
Jihadists have for 16 years been waging an insurrection in the northeast with the aim of establishing a Caliphate.
The jihadist violence has killed more than 40,000 people and displaced around two million in the northeast since it erupted in 2019.
J.Oliveira--AMWN