-
India warns of power use as demand peaks during heatwave
-
Bad Bunny kicks off European leg of tour in Barcelona
-
PSG's Moroccan defender Hakimi bids to have rape case dismissed
-
Slot says he shares Salah ambition for Liverpool
-
German business morale rises for first time since Iran war
-
Palmer and Foden left out of England World Cup squad
-
Indian duo dies on Everest as record breaker warns of overcrowding
-
Real Madrid coach Alvaro Arbeloa says will leave post
-
Neuer to miss German Cup final in latest injury setback
-
Thousands clash with Bangladesh police over alleged child rape
-
Palmer, Foden left out of England World Cup squad
-
NATO ministers sound out US on Trump's 'confusing' troop moves
-
Middle East war casts shadow over million-strong hajj pilgrimage
-
Foden, Palmer to miss out on England World Cup squad - reports
-
'Confusing': NATO allies sound out US on Trump's troop moves
-
UK police prepared to probe Andrew sexual misconduct claim
-
Slow Food's 'visionary' founder Carlo Petrini dies aged 76
-
India capital's motor-rickshaws get Trump makeover
-
Dynasties clash as Barcelona and Lyon face off in Women's Champions League final
-
Organized criminals kill at least 25 in Honduras
-
North Korean women deny 'rough' play ahead of Asian club final
-
Giant wind turbine rises in Germany amid far-right headwinds
-
Mangrove loss threatens Sierra Leone's oyster harvesters
-
No way home for Eid as jihadists cut off Mali capital
-
Vietnam auctions convicted tycoon's Hermes handbags for over $500k
-
Trump-backed push for deep-sea mining 'unlawful': international regulator to AFP
-
Uno targets Olympics in figure skating comeback
-
Bayern hope to avoid 'bitter' end as spoilers Stuttgart await in German Cup
-
What to look out for in final La Liga weekend
-
Five stars ready to light up the World Cup
-
India generates record power as demand surges in severe heatwave
-
Asian equities climb on Mideast optimism, oil edges higher
-
Japan inflation slows more than expected in April
-
Second-half surge carries Knicks past Cavs for 2-0 NBA East lead
-
NATO allies to sound out US top diplomat after Trump Iran ire
-
Belgium worries as migrant crossings to Britain rise
-
Women's Tour Down Under to run alongside men's race
-
Something coming: what scientists know about a potential 'super' El Nino
-
French football's pioneering British champions
-
Leinster seek 5th title to derail Bordeaux-Begles Champions Cup defence
-
Law changes and innovations to look out for at the World Cup
-
US pins hopes on mediator Pakistan in push to end Iran war
-
'Dread': coral scientists fear bleaching El Nino could bring
-
Samsung union to start vote on tentative wage deal
-
Gibraltar monkeys eat soil in junk food detox: study
-
'Filter of fantasy': Japan trials anime therapy to treat depression
-
With Fed under intense Trump pressure, new chief to be sworn in at White House
-
Lebanese accuse Israel of wiping their towns off the map
-
With record-low snow, Colorado preps for wildfire onslaught
-
Windfall settlement, stock trades: Trump accused of 'brazen' corruption
Deadly clashes in Aleppo as Turkey urges Kurds not to be obstacle to Syria's stability
The Syrian government and Kurdish-led forces on Monday ordered their fighters to cease fire following deadly clashes that came as Turkey's top diplomat urged the Kurds to integrate into the Syrian army.
At least three people were killed in the clashes, which came ahead of a deadline for implementing a March 10 agreement between Damascus and the Kurds to integrate the SDF -- which controls vast swathes of Syria's oil-rich northeast -- into the state.
State news agency SANA cited the defence ministry as saying that the Syrian army's general staff had issued "an order to stop targeting the sources of fire".
The US-backed Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) meanwhile said they had "issued directives to our forces to cease responding to attacks".
The two sides had earlier traded blame over who started the clashes.
State news agency SANA said on Monday that "two civilians were killed and eight others were wounded in SDF shelling on districts of Aleppo", a city that has witnessed heightened tensions and a previous bout of violence between the two sides in October.
The SDF said a woman was killed and 17 civilians wounded on its side by "rocket and tank shelling carried out by Damascus government factions on the Sheikh Maqsud and Ashrafieh neighbourhoods in Aleppo".
Sheikh Maqsud and Ashrafiyeh have remained under the control of Kurdish units linked to the SDF and the Kurds' domestic security forces, despite a disengagement agreement reached in April with Syria's new Islamist authorities.
Syria's interior ministry said Kurdish forces attacked government personnel at joint checkpoints in the two Kurdish-majority neighbourhoods.
The SDF instead accused "factions affiliated with the interim government" of carrying out an attack on a checkpoint.
The defence ministry denied attacking SDF positions, while the Kurdish-led force denied targeting Aleppo neighbourhoods.
In October, Syria announced a comprehensive ceasefire with Kurdish forces following deadly clashes in the districts.
Under the March deal between Damascus and the SDF, the Kurds' civil and military institutions should be integrated into the central government by year end, but differences have held up the deal's implementation despite international pressure.
- 'Stability' -
In Damascus, Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan, Defence Minister Yasar Guler and intelligence chief Ibrahim Kalin met with Syrian President Ahmed al-Sharaa, a presidency statement said.
Turkey and Syria have developed close ties since the toppling of longtime ruler Bashar al-Assad last year and Ankara, a key supporter of the new authorities, sees the presence of Kurdish forces on its border with Syria as a security threat.
"It is important that the SDF be integrated into the Syrian administration through dialogue and reconciliation, in a transparent manner, and that it no longer acts as an obstacle to Syria's territorial integrity and long-term stability," Fidan told a press conference with Syrian counterpart Asaad al-Shaibani.
Fidan claimed the Kurds "do not intend to make much progress" on implementing the March deal.
Shaibani said authorities had received an SDF response to a Syrian defence ministry proposal on integrating the Kurdish-led forces.
Damascus is studying "this response and how it responds to the national interest in achieving the integration and achieving a single unified Syrian territory", he said.
Last week, a Kurdish official told AFP on condition of anonymity that Damascus's proposal included splitting the Kurdish-led forces into three divisions and a number of brigades, including one for women.
The forces would be deployed under SDF commanders in areas of Kurdish-controlled northeast Syria, the official said.
It was Damascus's first written proposal since the March deal, the official added, noting "international and regional efforts" to finalise the agreement by year end.
Turkey shares a 900-kilometre (550-mile) border with Syria, and has launched successive offensives to push the SDF from its frontier.
Fidan said "Syria's stability means Turkey's stability".
Shaibani said the talks also addressed "combating terrorism and preventing" a resurgence of the Islamic State jihadist group.
T.Ward--AMWN