-
Fans create AI-generated team songs ahead of World Cup
-
Italy and Spain urge EU sanctions on Israeli minister for activists' treatment
-
Senegal have 'big dreams' for 2026 World Cup
-
'People thought it was witchcraft': DR Congo's Ebola outbreak
-
Arteta on BBQ duty as Arsenal clinched Premier League title
-
Top UN court says right to strike protected in key labour treaty
-
Musk's SpaceX bonus comes with unique condition: colonize Mars
-
Guardiola's Premier League legacy carried forward by Spanish coaches
-
Walmart reports solid results but sees some consumers struggling
-
Oil gains, stocks slip on uncertain Mideast peace prospects
-
Stellantis unveils 60 bn euro push to revive profitability
-
French films tackle war and fascism as crunch election looms
-
Italian divers in Maldives may have got lost in cave: recovery firm
-
Do tennis players really only take 15 percent of Grand Slam revenues?
-
Sinner, Djokovic kept apart in French Open draw
-
In Ankara, DW journalist goes on trial for 'insulting president'
-
Arteta alone in garden when Arsenal clinched Premier League title
-
EU countries urge sanctions on Israeli minister for activists' treatment
-
EU slashes eurozone 2026 growth forecast on Mideast war
-
Chinese authorities demolish villager's madcap 10-storey home
-
Air France, Airbus guilty of manslaughter in 2009 Paris-Rio crash: French court
-
Lustrinelli succeeds Eta as Union Berlin coach
-
Alex Marquez out of Italy, Hungary MotoGP races after crash
-
'French Banksy' and Daft Punk star turn Paris bridge into Alpine cave
-
Late queen pushed for son Andrew to be UK trade envoy: official papers
-
Denmark to autopsy 'Timmy' the whale
-
Oil gains, European stocks down on uncertain Mideast peace prospects
-
War risks choking Iran's world-beating cinema, warn directors
-
Neuer recalled to aid Germany World Cup bid
-
Samsung chip employees to get average $338,000 bonus under strike deal
-
Cambodian avatars pray to spirits for rain, peace with Thailand
-
Deadly DR Congo Ebola outbreak spreads to M23-held South Kivu
-
Spain to launch biggest forest fire campaign after record losses: PM
-
Cuba outraged after US indicts Raul Castro
-
Pakistan army chief due in Iran as Trump says talks on 'borderline'
-
EasyJet posts deeper first-half loss on Mideast war
-
In Ankara, Iran World Cup squad players start US visa process
-
Sri Lanka cricket finances 'greater than feared': interim chief
-
Ubisoft shares plunge after grim annual results
-
Vets bid to save Kosovo's stray dogs from cull through sterilisation
-
Mideast war forces EU to slash eurozone 2026 growth forecast
-
Gaza flotilla activists await deportation from Israel
-
Rich nations topped $100 bn climate finance goal again in 2023, 2024: OECD
-
London next step in all-women Athlos' goal to be 'F1 of track and field'
-
Asian stocks surge on Iran hopes, Samsung union talks
-
Winston Churchill's 'playful' paintings go on show in London
-
Tourists in Thailand plan for coming cuts to visa-free stays
-
Australia 'disappointed' by Chinese owner's resistance to forced port sale
-
Philippines orders arrest of fugitive senator sought by ICC
-
'They're afraid': Nicaraguan writer Gioconda Belli on fighting censorship
Cuba denies being in talks with Trump on potential deal
Cuba's leader on Monday reacted defiantly to President Donald Trump's threats to "make a deal" or pay the price in the aftermath of key ally Nicolas Maduro's ouster in a US military raid.
Trump has been ramping up pressure on Cuba, one of the few Latin American countries still run by an authoritarian leftist administration after Venezuelan leader Maduro's capture on January 3.
"We're talking with Cuba," Trump said aboard Air Force One on Sunday, hours after urging Havana to do a deal to head off unspecified US actions.
The Republican president, who says Washington is now effectively running Venezuela, earlier vowed to cut off all oil and money Caracas had been providing to ailing Cuba.
"THERE WILL BE NO MORE OIL OR MONEY GOING TO CUBA - ZERO!" Trump said on his Truth Social platform.
"I strongly suggest they make a deal, BEFORE IT IS TOO LATE," he said, without specifying what kind of deal he was promoting or what would happen if Cuba refused to negotiate.
Cuba, which is struggling through its worst economic crisis in decades, has reacted defiantly to the US threats even as it reels from the loss of a key source of economic support from Caracas.
President Miguel Diaz-Canel denied Monday being in talks with Washington, saying there are "no conversations with the US government except for technical contacts in the area of migration."
- 'To the last drop' -
On Sunday, Diaz-Canel vowed that the Caribbean island's residents were "ready to defend the homeland to the last drop of blood."
Cuba has been a thorn in the side of the United States since the revolution that swept communist Fidel Castro to power in 1959.
The deployment of Soviet nuclear missile sites on the island triggered the Cuban missile crisis of 1962, when Washington and Moscow took the world to the brink of nuclear war.
During his first presidential term, Trump walked back a detente with Cuba launched by his predecessor Barack Obama.
Immediately after the US capture of Maduro in a dramatic raid in Caracas, Trump stated that Cuba was "ready to fall."
He noted that the island, which has been plagued by blackouts due to crippling fuel shortages, would find it hard to "hold out" without heavily subsidized Venezuelan oil.
The Financial Times last week reported that Mexican oil exports to Cuba had surpassed those of Venezuela last year.
- Role for Rubio? -
Trump's Secretary of State Marco Rubio, a child of Cuban immigrants who is a sworn foe of the communist government, has long had Havana in his sights.
"If I lived in Havana and I was in the government, I'd be concerned at least a little bit," he told reporters on January 3, after Maduro's capture and transfer to the United States on drug trafficking and weapons charges.
Aboard Air Force One on Sunday, Trump referred to the generations of Cubans, like Rubio's parents, who had fled the island to the United States.
"Most importantly, right now, we're going to take care of the people that came from Cuba, that are American citizens, or in our country," Trump said, without saying how he would achieve that.
He also reposted a message that jokingly suggested Rubio could serve as president of Cuba.
burs-cb/msp
Ch.Havering--AMWN