-
UK inflation drops ahead of expected war-fuelled jump
-
North Korean women win rare match in South to reach final
-
Gough says McCullum 'very lucky' to keep England job after Ashes debacle
-
Worried and under-equipped, Ebola-hit east DR Congo awaits medical aid
-
Lithuanians briefly head to bunkers over drone alert
-
Alibaba unveils new AI chip as Nvidia access remains stalled
-
Oil retreats, stocks rise on cautious Mideast war hopes
-
Key takeaways from Putin-Xi meeting
-
Arsenal players in dawn celebrations after winning Premier League
-
India issues heatwave warnings as fear of El Nino looms
-
Whale of a time: Humpbacks set new distance record
-
Families of Beirut strike victims vow to fight for justice
-
Maddison 'embarrassed' by Spurs' survival struggles
-
Uganda president's son moves against senior politician for corruption
-
Havana-born star Andy Garcia says Cubans dream of change
-
Iran Guards warn of war beyond Mideast as Trump repeats threats
-
Saka says Arsenal critics 'not laughing anymore' after title triumph
-
UK climate advisers urge setting maximum working temperature
-
Stellantis signs Europe joint venture with China's Dongfeng
-
Indonesia's Prabowo announces export controls for coal, palm oil
-
Shot for throwing stones: Israeli forces killing West Bank teens weekly
-
Japan to sell eels bred in captivity in 'world first'
-
Taijul takes six to lead Bangladesh to Pakistan Test series sweep
-
Langer left in awe by teen Sooryavanshi's 'breathtaking' batting
-
Humpback whales make record swims between Australia and Brazil
-
Ebola, hantavirus show world's risk preparedness lagging: pandemic expert
-
'The Four Seasons' star Tina Fey says old friends are gold
-
EU agrees to implement US trade pact after Trump threats
-
DR Congo fishermen resort to trawling plastic waste
-
LIV cash crunch hits Asian Tour as Korea Open prize money cut
-
'Wiped out': Ukraine's bird lovers long for peaceful skies
-
Putin, Xi hail 'unyielding' ties in talks after Trump visit
-
Director Boots Riley says new film 'I Love Boosters' is an 'optimistic' satire
-
Sky bridges, citizen science protect endangered Malaysia monkeys
-
Elephant in the room: Nepal's first Cannes film takes on taboos
-
Pentagon says it has reduced brigades in Europe from four to three
-
Union calls strike at S. Korea chip giant Samsung Electronics
-
Knicks rally from 22 points down to stun Cavs in NBA East finals opener
-
Eala and Tjen bring a Southeast Asian 'sense of pride' to Roland Garros
-
Djokovic trying to hold back time at French Open
-
How are the World Cup favourites shaping up?
-
Taiwan leader says 'foreign forces' cannot decide island's future
-
Knicks rally to stun Cavs in overtime in NBA Eastern Conference finals opener
-
Pressure mounts at United Nations for climate change 'lifeline'
-
Cubans want change, but not at gunpoint
-
Asia stocks slide on inflation fears as yields surge
-
Putin, Xi to underscore alliance strength after Trump visit
-
Help wanted: Australian conservation group seeks new koala rescue dog
-
Musk's empire as SpaceX counts down to Wall Street liftoff
-
SpaceX's IPO moonshot draws some doubters on Wall Street
French prosecutors stick to demand for five-year ban for Le Pen
French prosecutors on Tuesday demanded that an appeal court maintain a five-year ban on far-right leader Marine Le Pen from holding public office for a European parliament fraud, stepping up threats to her presidential ambitions.
If the court upholds last year's bombshell ruling by a lower tribunal, Le Pen would be banned from running in France's 2027 presidential election, widely seen as her best chance at the top job.
The prosecution also sought a four-year prison term with three suspended and a 100,000 euro ($118,000) fine for the figurehead leader of the National Rally (RN) party, which has been riding high in the opinion polls.
Le Pen had hoped her appeal against her ban over a fake jobs scam at the European parliament -- an accusation the 57-year-old has denied -- would clear the way for her to run in the election afte Emmanuel Macron stands down.
But during closing arguments lasting nearly six hours, attorney general Stephane Madoz-Blanchet told the court that "Marine Le Pen was the instigator, following in her father's footsteps, of a system that enabled the party to embezzle 1.4 million euros".
Le Pen, the RN and 11 others are appealing a March 2025 ruling by a lower court, which sentenced her to four years in jail, with two suspended.
The first trial found Le Pen, along with 24 former European lawmakers, assistants and accountants as well as the party itself, guilty of operating a "system" from 2004 to 2016 using European parliament funds to employ RN staff in France.
Not all of those convicted have appealed.
The prosecutor's office had requested bans from public office ranging from one to five years for Le Pen and 23 others in the initial trial.
The lower court ordered that Le Pen's ban from public office take effect immediately -- without waiting for an appeal. The others were also banned.
- Presidential race at stake -
Le Pen has, during the appeal trial, denied that the RN had any "system" to embezzle European parliament funds and said her party acted in "complete good faith".
The appeal ends this month, with a verdict expected within months.
Le Pen made it to the second round in the 2017 and 2022 presidential polls, losing to Macron both times. But he cannot run again next year after two consecutive terms in office.
She now again risks the maximum sentence of 10 years in prison and a one-million-euro ($1.16-million) fine if the appeal fails.
During Tuesday's hearing, prosecutor Thierry Ramonatxo pushed back at claims that the judiciary had in any way aimed to "block a party leader's ascent to the highest executive office".
"To suggest that the judiciary could oppose the will of the sovereign people is inaccurate," he said.
"A judge is the guardian of the law and merely applies it."
A French court last year handed an eight-month suspended jail sentence to a 76-year-old man over a death threat against the judge who convicted Le Pen.
P.Santos--AMWN