-
'The Four Seasons' star Tina Fey says old friends are gold
-
EU agrees to implement US trade pact after Trump threats
-
DR Congo fishermen resort to trawling plastic waste
-
LIV cash crunch hits Asian Tour as Korea Open prize money cut
-
'Wiped out': Ukraine's bird lovers long for peaceful skies
-
Putin, Xi hail 'unyielding' ties in talks after Trump visit
-
Director Boots Riley says new film 'I Love Boosters' is an 'optimistic' satire
-
Sky bridges, citizen science protect endangered Malaysia monkeys
-
Elephant in the room: Nepal's first Cannes film takes on taboos
-
Pentagon says it has reduced brigades in Europe from four to three
-
Union calls strike at S. Korea chip giant Samsung Electronics
-
Knicks rally from 22 points down to stun Cavs in NBA East finals opener
-
Eala and Tjen bring a Southeast Asian 'sense of pride' to Roland Garros
-
Djokovic trying to hold back time at French Open
-
How are the World Cup favourites shaping up?
-
Taiwan leader says 'foreign forces' cannot decide island's future
-
Knicks rally to stun Cavs in overtime in NBA Eastern Conference finals opener
-
Pressure mounts at United Nations for climate change 'lifeline'
-
Cubans want change, but not at gunpoint
-
Asia stocks slide on inflation fears as yields surge
-
Putin, Xi to underscore alliance strength after Trump visit
-
Help wanted: Australian conservation group seeks new koala rescue dog
-
Musk's empire as SpaceX counts down to Wall Street liftoff
-
SpaceX's IPO moonshot draws some doubters on Wall Street
-
Acting US attorney general defends fund for prosecuted Trump allies
-
Caledonia Mining Corporation Plc PCA Shareholding Notification
-
Mavericks part ways with head coach Kidd
-
Shock and bafflement at San Diego mosque where three were killed
-
US enforces law to crack down on sexual deepfakes
-
Arsenal crowned Premier League champions after Man City draw
-
New York art auctions roar back with blockbuster sales
-
US says held talks with Cuba on $100 mln offer
-
Chelsea beat Spurs to leave rivals in 'embarrassing' relegation danger
-
Google wants its search bar to act on your behalf in AI revamp
-
Taiwan author wins International Booker for 'slyly sophisticated' novel
-
Iran 'very confident' about World Cup protocols: federation vice-president
-
Google unveils smart glasses, taking on Meta
-
Guardiola swerves Man City exit talk as title hopes ended
-
Chiefs' Rice jailed for probation violation
-
Five factors in Arsenal's Premier League title triumph
-
Mikel Arteta: Pep protege to Premier League winner
-
How Arsenal banished 'nearly men' tag to end 22-year title wait
-
Arsenal win Premier League after Man City held by Bournemouth
-
From graduation boos to voter unease: AI anxiety grows in the US
-
Lost in Trump's climate boast: best-case scenario abandoned
-
Hantavirus cruise operator says ship not source of outbreak
-
Rubio to attend NATO talks, pay first visit to India
-
Under Trump pressure, EU seeks deal to end trade standoff
-
Airbus seeks to cut peripheral expenses due to Mideast war
-
France encourages women to report rape in probes of star Bruel
UK king voices 'concern' as police probe ex-prince Andrew over Epstein
King Charles III on Monday voiced "concern" over the actions of his brother Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, after British police said officers were looking into accusations the ex-prince may have passed sensitive reports to the disgraced US financier Jeffrey Epstein.
After multiple revelations about the ties between Andrew -- who was stripped of his titles last year -- and the late convicted sex offender Epstein, Buckingham Palace said King Charles would "stand ready to support" the police if approached about the latest misconduct accusations.
"The King has made clear, in words and through unprecedented actions, his profound concern at allegations which continue to come to light in respect of Mr Mountbatten-Windsor's conduct," Buckingham Palace said.
"While the specific claims in question are for Mr Mountbatten-Windsor to address, if we are approached by Thames Valley Police we stand ready to support them as you would expect."
The scandal has renewed pressure on the UK royal family, prompting even the heir to the throne Prince William to break his silence on the matter.
In a short statement, which did not directly refer to Andrew, the king's oldest son and his wife Princess Catherine said they were "deeply concerned by the continued revelations".
The affair threatened to eclipse William's first official visit to Saudi Arabia, which kicked off on Monday, and Charles has been heckled at recent public events in Britain.
Thames Valley Police, responsible for Windsor where Andrew previously lived, confirmed it had received a report of alleged criminal misconduct and was "assessing the information in line with our established procedures".
Anti-monarchy activist Graham Smith, who heads the pressure group Republic, said he had filed the report after emails between Andrew and Epstein were among a huge trove of US government files about the financier released last month by US authorities.
In one email from November 2010 when he was a UK trade representative, Andrew appeared to share with Epstein reports from an official visit to Asia.
The disgraced royal also sent Epstein details of the trip -- on which he was accompanied by Epstein's business associates -- along with investment opportunities months later, according to the BBC.
- 'No different' from Mandelson -
Official guidance stipulates trade envoys have a duty of confidentiality over sensitive, commercial or political information related to their official visits, the UK public broadcaster reported.
Andrew, whose ties to Epstein have caused a spectacular years-long fall from grace, served as a British trade envoy for a decade from 2001.
He has previously denied wrongdoing in relation to his friendship with Epstein, but could not be reached for comment on Monday about the emails.
"I have now reported Andrew to the @ThamesVP (police) for suspected misconduct in public office and breach of official secrets in relation to these specific allegations," Smith said on X.
"I cannot see any significant difference between these allegations and those against Peter Mandelson," he added, referring to the scandal that has engulfed the UK government over the appointment of the former UK ambassador to the United States.
Mandelson was fired from the role last September once it emerged he had maintained ties to his longtime friend Epstein after the disgraced US financier was convicted of sex offences against a minor in the US in 2008.
Last month's newly released Epstein documents appeared to show the veteran UK politician sharing confidential government information with him while serving as a UK minister, including during the 2008 financial crisis.
Andrew stepped back from royal duties in 2019, following allegations by Virginia Giuffre that she was trafficked to have sex with him three times, including twice when she was 17.
King Charles III then stripped his brother of his royal titles and honours late last year after Giuffre recounted the claims in shocking detail in a posthumous memoir.
Last week, it emerged that a second alleged Epstein victim has claimed through her lawyer that the financier had also sent her to Britain in 2010 to have sex with Andrew.
Epstein died in prison in 2019 while awaiting trial for trafficking children, in what was ruled a suicide.
B.Finley--AMWN